• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not really sure what the All Blacks will do this year in terms of wingers and fullback.

I think they are equally likely to go for a dual fullback option by picking Ben Smith on the wing and Jordie Barrett or Damian McKenzie at fullback (Barrett more likely) or Smith at fullback and Ioane and Naholo or Lam on the wings.

I think people are glossing over some of the shortfalls in Timu's game. His ball running is good but his ball retention and lineout isn't great at this stage.

Lam is clearly playing for one of, if not the best teams in the comp whereas Timu isn't, but I don't know you could argue Timu is one of the form couple of number 8s in the whole comp whereas you can certainly say that about Lam on the wing.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
I see Timu and Ben Lam from the Hurricanes as having had pretty similar seasons and chances at selection. In Lam's case he's scored a heap of tries in a stellar few games but it's unlikely that he'll be able to unseat Rieko Ioane at 11 in the ABs and he's not going to be picked at 14 alongside Ioane as it leaves NZ with two wingers who aren't noted kickers. In Timu's case he's been the big ball carrying 8 we've lacked but again as Hooper and Pocock are two of our finest players it's unlikely Timu is going to unseat one of them on the back of a few good Super games and his lineout deficiencies mean it is unlikely he will be picked alongside the Pooper.

I'll take Lam over Timu thanks.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
With Fullback depth of McKenzie, Dagg, Havili, J Barrett and wingers of Bridge, Lam, etc. (insert tears emoji)

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Meanwhile over in Europe: https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...l/news-story/be790c07091033ee57a1ba9ec79a3fc8

FORMER Wallabies back-rower Scott Fardy has been showered in praise after leading Leinster into the final of the European Champions Cup final over the weekend.

Fardy was instrumental in their 38-16 demolition of Scarlets in Dublin on Saturday, scoring a try and acting as a workhorse across the field to earn man-of-the-match honours.
The 33-year-old, who left Australian rugby last year, was brought over as a second-row option, but, like he was against Saracens in the quarter-final, played at blindside flanker because of injuries to others.

Despite being at the Irish powerhouse for less than a year, such has been his impact that he’s been compared to former Wallabies captain Rocky Elsom and All Blacks great Brad Thorn who were key protagonists in Leinster’s European triumphs in 2009 and 2012.
“He was outstanding today,” fullback Rob Kearney said of Fardy, who scored Leinster’s fourth try in the 50th minute against Scarlets.
“He’s one of those four lads who was nominated for player of the tournament as well so he’s shown a consistency throughout.
“I think the most impressive thing about Scott is off the field, what he’s doing with the younger guys and his coaching and mentoring. The manner in which he turned up today was incredible and a massive credit to him.”

Leinster and Irish fly-half Johnny Sexton also paid tribute to his value around the club.
“That’s why it is so important that the club signs these quality foreigners because I don’t think James Ryan would be the player he has been this season without Scott Fardy helping him along.
“Those back row guys, he coaches them. He’s had a huge impact on the group.”

And what of his comparison to rookie Queensland Reds coach Brad Thorn?
“Yeah, he doesn’t train as hard in the gym as Brad Thorn though. I don’t think he goes to the gym actually.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Everything we do is wrong. We should do the opposite thing to the thing we think we should do. On all levels.

'I think i should pass left' - You are wrong pass right.
'I think we should let this player go'- you are wrong, keep him.
'I think this ground would be a good place to hold the game' - you are wrong, hold it at another ground.
'I think we should select x player' - fucking wrong fluffybunny, pick y player.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Scott Fardy still had plenty in the tank. Great player but not the final link in the Pooper sadly.

To “compliment” the Pooper I’d be looking for a player who:
x had height, can jump and is very useful in the line out.
x could shove a scrum behind the tight head
x can hit it up tight in the pigs
x works with speed as a “1” in the 1-3-3-1 formation

If Fardy is not the player to fit this mould who is?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
He's not as effective in shifting bodies in rucks, he's usually the nuisance. We alreayd have a nuisance. and in the 1 33 1 he isnt fast enough and i cant believe cheika persisted with him there. If you had a boulderesque type no.8 liek Timani, Timu or in the future, naisarani, then fardy would be good.