• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Update: apparently the Brumbies haven't agreed to it.

Very much so!

Wallabies war set to erupt in Canberra after request to rest Brumbies

An internal Australian rugby war threatens to erupt after the Wallabies asked the ACT Brumbies to rest three of their most high-profile players in the same week the Canberra club is trying to build crowd support.

But it's understood the Brumbies are refusing to budge, insisting they need to trio to help win the game and to entice fans to the match.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...request-to-rest-brumbies-20180530-p4zihe.html

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If the selection battle between the THP was really close I wonder if Ala'alatoa arriving a day later to camp is going to impact his selection for the first test?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
If the selection battle between the THP was really close I wonder if Ala'alatoa arriving a day later to camp is going to impact his selection for the first test?

If the selection was that close that its about who arrives first I don't think it really matters too much which THP is selected to start game 1.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If the selection was that close that its about who arrives first I don't think it really matters too much which THP is selected to start game 1.

No, and realistically the three THPs Cheika has to pick from are all good options.

1 extra day recovery and training in a short leadup could certainly be meaningful though.

It might matter to Ala'alatoa. His preference would obviously be to do both but if he only got to choose one, I'd guess it would be playing in the first test.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
No, and realistically the three THPs Cheika has to pick from are all good options.

1 extra day recovery and training in a short leadup could certainly be meaningful though.

It might matter to Ala'alatoa. His preference would obviously be to do both but if he only got to choose one, I'd guess it would be playing in the first test.

Well that depends on prospective. With his employer facing an uncertain future which would jeopardise his future Wallaby prospects I would say its at minimum a spilt decision and one he should not be having to even contemplate. It not uncommon to have a short turn around between games.

We are talking realistically about 12hrs and they do say an extra night in your own bed is better than one on the road.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well that depends on prospective. With his employer facing an uncertain future which would jeopardise his future Wallaby prospects I would say its at minimum a spilt decision and one he should not be having to even contemplate. It not uncommon to have a short turn around between games.

We are talking realistically about 12hrs and they do say an extra night in your own bed is better than one on the road.

No doubt the Brumbies situation is unfortunate and I agree that the players shouldn't have to be making the decision. Clearly they aren't. Rugby Australia asked and the Brumbies said no.

It isn't a huge difference but it's substantial when the preparation time is so short. It's more than 24 hours. The Reds vs Tahs game is in Brisbane on Saturday night and the Brumbies contingent won't be able to fly up and join the squad until Monday morning.

I don't think it's an unreasonable thing to consider.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
No doubt the Brumbies situation is unfortunate and I agree that the players shouldn't have to be making the decision. Clearly they aren't. Rugby Australia asked and the Brumbies said no.

It isn't a huge difference but it's substantial when the preparation time is so short. It's more than 24 hours. The Reds vs Tahs game is in Brisbane on Saturday night and the Brumbies contingent won't be able to fly up and join the squad until Monday morning.

It’s an hour and twenty flight. They could technically fly out Sunday night at 7.30, or 6.30 Monday morning. They wouldn’t miss out on that much. Likely that after a tough match between the Red and Tahs that Sunday will be a recovery day anyway. Would you be feeling the same if Kepu, Foley, Folau, Beale and Hooper were asked to rest on Saturday night? Guaranteed it will be a more physical game than the Brumbies game on Sunday.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If it were All Black players there would be no question. Typical infighting.

Oi what time is kick and chase on and what channel? No i dont want to google it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not arguing at all on whether or not Brumbies fans should be happy their players are being asked to be rested or whether the Brumbies should agree to the request.

I am purely arguing that in a short turnaround before a huge match, an extra day makes a difference. If a selection decision was very close I think it could easily sway you into selecting a certain way.

I would be selecting Kepu and Tupou as my THP for the first test but my take on RA making the request for Ala'alatoa to sit out is that he was definitely in the 23. It would be entirely unreasonable to make the request otherwise. I wonder if he will still be in the 23 (obviously Cheika would need to view the THP selection as being as close as others do).

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

It is TOTALLY reasonable to consider.

FFS - is it not blindingly obvious that if the Wallabies suffer another June home Test 'full humiliation' series like 2016's v England and, in a different way, elements of 2017's debacle June Test series, fan support for and income from the Wallabies in later years will likely be severely hit, things are bad enough now.

+ Should the worst happen v Ireland there will be ferocious media coming hard at the 'rugby's dying fast in Australia' and more.

Everything that can be done to win this Ireland series must be done. Period. Debate over. The Brumbies are utterly their own worst enemies in recent years and one more loss or win this weekend will have zero impact on their current strategic trajectory.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So no real surprises then, except Fainga'a i guess.

Not impressed with Phipps getting selected.

Also no Samu.