• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not squad related so I'll put it here. After reading this article: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/i-heard-my-daughter-crying-i-was-powerless-xxdj6705l?t=ie

I am utterly convinced that Australia should pursue Lancaster for the Wallabies job post Cheika. No other Australian candidate is up to it and I think he's learnt an incredible amount from his RWC2015 experience.

It's such a shame to hear him say that he wanted the Reds job but wasn't given it.

Yeh but the Reds got Stiles - sooo pffft lancaster big deal. Weeeee got a Queenslader.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If the selection battle between the THP was really close I wonder if Ala'alatoa arriving a day later to camp is going to impact his selection for the first test?

Yeah, I'd expect so. Even so, I think it's a bit rich to ask one franchise to rest players. Were others asked but just hasn't been publicised?

If Sio and AAT were to be rested, I think Mayhew and Makin would start and be backed up by Sione and Alexander. Not bad replacements, but Sio and AAT are really needed to help boost the attendance.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's a pretty weak reason BH. If the short turnaround is so important, the Aus conference should mirror the SA side and start a week early so there is a full two weeks gap between Super Rugby and the tests to prepare.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's a pretty weak reason BH. If the short turnaround is so important, the Aus conference should mirror the SA side and start a week early so there is a full two weeks gap between Super Rugby and the tests to prepare.

I agree that it would have made more sense for the whole competition to start a week earlier and for all the SANZAAR nations to get a week off before their test matches (would have also meant the Sunwolves rested players for less games).

It is what it is though and we have a one week preparation for the first test for three of our teams and a 6 day turnaround for one of them. I don't think it's a weak reason at all that you're only asking some of the players from the team with the shortest turnaround to sit out that match. I don't think the Brumbies have to say yes but I think it is a pretty reasonable request for Cheika to make.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Reds and Tahs play Saturday night, right? They will be available to join the squad on Sunday. Brumbies play Sunday arvo. In time to get a flight to Brisbane on Sunday evening. How much will they really miss out on by missing Sunday?

Anyway, I think the Reds and Tahs will bash each other to the point of exhaustion, and half the Wallabies' contingent will end up in hospital overnight or longer. Really all the Wallabies in those teams should be rested on Saturday to avoid injury.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Not squad related so I'll put it here. After reading this article: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/i-heard-my-daughter-crying-i-was-powerless-xxdj6705l?t=ie

I am utterly convinced that Australia should pursue Lancaster for the Wallabies job post Cheika. No other Australian candidate is up to it and I think he's learnt an incredible amount from his RWC2015 experience.

It's such a shame to hear him say that he wanted the Reds job but wasn't given it.

I would also like us to look at Rob Baxter, Dean Richards, Vern Cotter...

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Thay are not bad, they are inconsistent. It is very feasible that they could put the Brumbies away if they (the Brumbies) are not at full strength.
Their B team are terrible. As would any other team be if they rested 14 first team players or whatever it was.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
From that squad, for the first test I'd go with :

DHP, Rona, Folau

I know you've been critical of some of Koroibete's defence this year BR and don't have him in your starting side (and I agree his decision making in defence hasn't been nearly as good as it was for the Wallabies last year) and I've been thinking maybe some of the difference between this year and last year was that when he was playing for the Wallabies Kurindrani was telling him who to cover in defence in Fijian. Perhaps, as someone still relative new to Union defensive patterns having someone talking in his mother tongue helps him to make decisions on the run better and he will hopefully be back to his best outside Kerevi or Kurindrani barking orders in Fijian.

And this is the reason I'd stick with Kurindrani for the first test, his organisation of a defensive line that makes so many changes is extremely underrated. He's the glue that holds it altogether imo.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^^
We saw what happened when he was dropped for the Wallabies last year. We have enough attacking ability in the backline to carry a defensive 13.

Hell the All Blacks use Crotty. He's the stodgiest centre ever.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The English cricket team suck.

I have a theory that the English are not very good at team sports. They do produce some very talented athletes, but not so much when it comes to producing good teams.

The only really successful England rugby coach in the modern era is Clive Woodward. He spent a few seasons playing club rugby for Manly. His captain, Martin Johnson, spent a season or so playing in New Zealand as a young man. That sort of experience was invaluable to them, I reckon, in learning about the team ethos.

I would not touch an English rugby coach with a barge pole, when it comes to our national team.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I have a theory that the English are not very good at team sports. They do produce some very talented athletes, but not so much when it comes to producing good teams.

The only really successful England rugby coach in the modern era is Clive Woodward. He spent a few seasons playing club rugby for Manly. His captain, Martin Johnson, spent a season or so playing in New Zealand as a young man. That sort of experience was invaluable to them, I reckon, in learning about the team ethos.

I would not touch an English rugby coach with a barge pole, when it comes to our national team.

You may be dawdling in the tomb-stone past.