• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It beats me why Hodge did not take the long clearing kicks? Foley is feeble.

I agree - I never understand this.

Maybe Cheika likes having 1 guy do as much kicking as possible?

Really he should give Hodge all the tactical kicking roles and have Foley do the goalkicking so he can stop his habit of being so inconsistent week to week

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Really he should give Hodge all the tactical kicking roles and have Foley do the goalkicking so he can stop his habit of being so inconsistent week to week

Hodge isn't great at the general play kicking though. He is very slow and liable to getting charged down.

Beale is probably the best option we have overall.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
DHP in Fairfax:
"I 100 per cent think that we lost that game mentally in that second half ......... we're the type of team that can score points fast, just like them. I don't think we should ever feel like we're out of the game."
Source: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...-capitulation-on-mindset-20180820-p4zyko.html

To paraphrase from when a similar story came out about the Brumbies last month:
I hope this whole story is wrong. I don't want the difference between the Brumbies that lose a two try lead to a mediocre side the Wallabies who win a half against the ABs 6-5 and a Brumbies that beats the team that could go all the way in the finals the Wallabies who lose a half against the ABs 7-33 to be "the players taking responsibility feeling out of the game". I would be furious if we didn't show up for the first half of the season second half because the players didn't feel "responsible" for results "in the game".

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Has promise, but only time will tell.
Allan Ala'alatoa (24) and Scott Sio(26) last year or his 2015 RWC when he was 23.

This age thing with Props seems to be changing Slipper isnt getting better with age, neither is Kepu..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Allan Ala'alatoa (24) and Scott Sio(26) last year or his 2015 RWC when he was 23.

This age thing with Props seems to be changing Slipper isnt getting better with age, neither is Kepu..

Arguably Kepu's best period of rugby was through his late 20s and early 30s.

I think top props are good before they reach 25.

Some who weren't that amazing emerge later as being very good.

The big thing that has changed though is props need to be good around the park now so you can't just be a pot plant that turns into a very good scrummager and be considered a top quality test prop.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Disagree.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think top props are good before they reach 25.

Agree, obviously the best will likely be good beforehand, but they really reach the peak of their career after a decade of experience in the position and Aussie Thor could plateau well before then. Obviously hope his upwards trajectory continues, but counting chickens and so on.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Thor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This kid is a once in a generation talent. We all knew about his ball running skills from YouTube videos but he demolished every super rugby scrum he came up against.

Baffling why he is on the bench for the wallabies

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
This kid is a once in a generation talent. We all knew about his ball running skills from YouTube videos but he demolished every super rugby scrum he came up against.

Baffling why he is on the bench for the wallabies

Because he is a kid. A promising kid. Playing in the toughest position on the field, against some grown men who are very experienced and very capable.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
If they are good enough they are old enough. I believe a move to the bench would be good for Kepu as well, might add a year or two to his career.
I think he will jump after the world cup, and hopefully be surpassed by Thor and AAA.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In news sure to delight Wob & 'tah fans everywhere, Maria Folau has been cleared by Netball NZ to live & play in Sydney but still be part of the Silver Ferns. There's a stuff.co.nz story on it but you may want to wait for the Wimmin's New Weekly Idea Day exclusive :)

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
In news sure to delight Wob & 'tah fans everywhere, Maria Folau has been cleared by Netball NZ to live & play in Sydney but still be part of the Silver Ferns. There's a stuff.co.nz story on it but you may want to wait for the Wimmin's New Weekly Idea Day exclusive :)

She needs to play for the firebirds. Did it say Sydney or Australia?