• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
"Better" is a loaded word. The thing about Pocock is that he can win games. Fardy is just indispensable at the moment. Hooper can also win games.

I have a lot of time for McCalman, but he is not a match-winner. In a better side he would do his job. We are in a situation where we have to pick players who can do more than their jobs.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
"Better" is a loaded word. The thing about Pocock is that he can win games. Fardy is just indispensable at the moment. Hooper can also win games.

I have a lot of time for McCalman, but he is not a match-winner. In a better side he would do his job. We are in a situation where we have to pick players who can do more than their jobs.

Fair enough comment but I tend to aspire to a team mentality.

Anyway I suppose that the Brumbies and Waratahs will both win on the back of Poey and Hoops (as both are game winners) this weekend.:):)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH and Barbarian
In your, of course, humble opinions and taking positions in isolation please answer the following:

Is Pocock a better 7 than Hooper.?

A one word answer would be sufficient

I would really like to know your opinion.

Pocock. He's the best overall player we have by some margin.

Do I think the Wallabies are a better team when we're playing a backrow of Fardy, Pocock, and Hooper or Fardy, McCalman, and Pocock?

The answer to that would be Fardy, Pocock and Hooper by some margin. I also think it provides better overall balance. What it gives up in the lineout it dramatically increases the output around the field.

If you were picking between McCalman and Holloway on form this season you'd probably pick Holloway.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Pocock. He's the best overall player we have by some margin.

Do I think the Wallabies are a better team when we're playing a backrow of Fardy, Pocock, and Hooper or Fardy, McCalman, and Pocock?

The answer to that would be Fardy, Pocock and Hooper by some margin. I also think it provides better overall balance. What it gives up in the lineout it dramatically increases the output around the field.

If you were picking between McCalman and Holloway on form this season you'd probably pick Holloway.

Yeah I agree that Pocock is overall the best 7 we have

Don't have a prob with Holloway or McCalman. at 8

I still would go for Fardy Pocock and OK, either Holloway or McCalman at 8.

Anyway it is not up to use and personally I think Chek will err on the side of Fardy, Hooper and Poey at 8.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Fair enough comment but I tend to aspire to a team mentality.

Anyway I suppose that the Brumbies and Waratahs will both win on the back of Poey and Hoops (as both are game winners) this weekend.:):)

That does not necessarily follow. But let's hope so!! BTW I am pretty sure that, if either team loses, it will not be because Hooper and Pocock did not do more than most.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

That's a much better description than the awful "x-factor".

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
That does not necessarily follow. But let's hope so!! BTW I am pretty sure that, if either team loses, it will not be because Hooper and Pocock did not do more than most.

Indeed. A star team will often beat a team of stars, but to beat the New Zealanders, we need both. They have both.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hooper is currently 8th overall in the comp in total tackles averaging over 12 a game. A similar thing happened in the early rounds of 2014 Super Rugby and it wasn't in the best interests of the Waratahs. He was spending too much time tackling and less on the other areas of his game (such as running with the ball and attacking the breakdown).

Cheika got the rest of the pack (particularly the back row) to lift their tackle involvements to take pressure off Hooper and when it started happening Hooper's overall production really picked up.

Hopefully Gibson is onto it and a similar thing can start happening with the Tahs now.

In contrast, when playing for the Wallabies alongside Pocock it's probably in the team's best interests for Hooper to focus on tackling as much as possible so Pocock is making less tackles and having more opportunity to attack the breakdown.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Hooper and Pocock work awesome as a team, Hoopers involvement it making Poey great at the RWC shouldnt be understated, he is quick to the tackle and everywhere allowing Poey to come in and manhandle the breakdown.

No other player can do that at the moment, maybe McMahon...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Kuridrani is unfit ATM, he doesn't deserve a starter spot. If Kerevi can't play the June tests, Folau would be my first pick at 13 and I'd put Beale at 15. Kuridrani is a ball-carrier who can't win meters like few years ago. That was one of the reasons of the Brumbies defeat vs Highlanders. Tomane is their most strong ball-carrier, without him the Brumbies backline can't beat any defense.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Unfortunate that injuries appear to have ruled Timani & Kerevi out of contention for Test debuts. Add them to a list that already includes Dom Shipperley, Kane Douglas, possibly Joe Tomane and I'm sure countless more I'm not thinking of right now, plus Sefa Naivalu isn't eligible until September...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kuridrani is unfit ATM, he doesn't deserve a starter spot. If Kerevi can't play the June tests, Folau would be my first pick at 13 and I'd put Beale at 15. Kuridrani is a ball-carrier who can't win meters like few years ago. That was one of the reasons of the Brumbies defeat vs Highlanders. Tomane is their most strong ball-carrier, without him the Brumbies backline can't beat any defense.

Kuridrani's problem isn't that he can't make metres - he's still been making some strong ball carries in recent weeks............

His main problem has been handling, and in defence where he continues to rush out of the line to shut down the attack but misses the tackle.

Cheika is still likely to pick him based on his test form, so hopefully he can shove a rocket up his ass to get the best out of him against England.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bad news. Kerevi will miss three to four weeks with a broken hand.

Is Hunt an option at 15?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Right now it looks like:

9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. Beale
13. Kuridrani
14. DHP
15. Folau

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Some options for the backline

9 Phipps/Stirzaker
10 Foley
11 Horne
12 Leali'ifano/To'omua/Beale
13 Kuridrani/Folau/Horne
14 DHP/Folau/
15 Folau/Beale/Hunt/DHP

If Horne suffers an injury, Nabuli will be on race for a Wallaby cap

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In the last three matches since moving to 13, Folau has scored a try in each match and has a total of 6 clean breaks, 8 defenders beaten and 5 offloads.