• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
He may be the incumbent, but on form this year I don't think its wholly unreasonable to put Kuridrani third behind Folau & Samu Kerevi.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, but with the injuries to Tomane & Kerevi, and the form of To'omua I would suggest Slims backline is the most likely current option.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Right now it looks like:

9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. Beale
13. Kuridrani
14. DHP
15. Folau

The good thing about DHP at wing is that we can play rope-a-dope, or confuse-a-cat, mixing up our backline positions.

Gives Eddie a lot to think about.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Kerevi is back in 4 weeks, which is in time for the first test, but as he won't get any more Super Rugby before then, I don't think he will (or should) be selected. May still make the squad...maybe. I sorta feel Kerevi may be too slow for international rugby, but would like to see him get his chance one day.

Compare Kerevi's stats to Folau's, listed previously for 3 games.
Kerevi's stats:
vs Bulls: 2 tries, 85 metres, 18 carries, 4 defenders beaten, 2 clean breaks.
vs Stormers: 109 metres, 18 carries, 6 defenders beaten, 3 clean breaks, 3 offloads.
vs Cheetahs (after only being really used for 20 minutes before going off injured at 59 minutes): 59 metres, 13 carries, 6 defenders beaten, 2 clean breaks, 2 offloads, 1 try assist

And also vs the Highlanders 4 weeks ago: 1 try, 164 metres, 16 carries, 8 defenders beaten, 5 clean breaks, 3 offloads, 1 try assist.

The Cheetahs are also rans, but the Bulls, Stormers and Clan are top sides. I think Kerevi would've been extremely close for a bench spot prior to his injury. Big shame.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I did forget about Hunt. I think he would come into consideration, but I would still expect Cheika to go for Kuridrani at 13 & Folau at 15.

I think if Cheika surprises at all, it will be more likely that he'll bring in or stick with someone experienced then bringing in a rookie.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
In the last three matches since moving to 13, Folau has scored a try in each match and has a total of 6 clean breaks, 8 defenders beaten and 5 offloads.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I asked if Hunt can play at 15 at international level

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I asked if Hunt can play at 15 at international level

Surely if Folau is moved to 13, we would be looking at something like:

9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne (or someone else. Jesus we're light on wings. Could sure up the midfield in defense though).
12. To'omua
13. Folau
14. DHP
15. Beale

Beales a world class fullback when he's on form, and he's approaching a 2011-esque patch of performances atm.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Incumbency is a great thing to have when you're not playing well and To'omua/Kuridrani will be thankful for 2015, as it gives them a chance for selection that their current form just does not give them.

On form, and assuming Kerevi is recovered but Tomane not, the backline would be:

9. Phipps​
10. Foley​
11. Horne​
12. Beale​
13. Folau​
14. DHP​
15. Hunt​
21. Stirzacker/Frisby (though I reckon Lucas is their equal)​
22. Kerevi​
23. Speedster required. Robinson a bolter, Naivalu maybe,​

When you look at the shellacking that Beale and Folau gave the Stormers midfield defence this morning then try to remember when To'omua/Kuridrani did that to anyone you have to go back to 2013/4. Its been a long time between drinks.

Then when you remember that the Stormers have had the best defensive systems for yonks and are, with the Highlanders, one of the two best defensive teams in the comp, you can understand just how good Foley, Beale and Folau were. And the key to unlocking defences is Beale at 12.

Now maybe Lilo, To'omua and Kuridrani will awake from their slumber and find some form. But they need to do it RIGHT BLOODY NOW. Because, based on form they don't deserve to be in the squad.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'd still have Kuridrani at 13, as I reckon he will shine better with Foley and Beale around, although it seems increasingly obvious that Folau can play there very well. And I am more and more convinced Beale really needs to be at 12, probably with Horne at wing. Obviously, for his defensive abilities, but he also finishes and runs great support lines well (plus other obvious wing choices are falling by the wayside). Leave Folau at 15, DHP the other wing.
Robinson too raw (although he is improving steadily); Naivalu not eligible until Sept. Some winger showing some hot form in the next few weeks could find themselves in a nice position.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I'd still have Kuridrani at 13, as I reckon he will shine better with Foley and Beale around, although it seems increasingly obvious that Folau can play there very well. And I am more and more convinced Beale really needs to be at 12, probably with Horne at wing. Obviously, for his defensive abilities, but he also finishes and runs great support lines well (plus other obvious wing choices are falling by the wayside). Leave Folau at 15, DHP the other wing.
Robinson too raw (although he is improving steadily); Naivalu not eligible until Sept. Some winger showing some hot form in the next few weeks could find themselves in a nice position.
I think Cheika in an interview last week mentioned Morahan and Nayarovoro returning? as possibilities. They would be a surprise. Would prefer DHP

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
If Kerevi is too slow for test rugby than what is Folau?

I know Kerevi is deceptively quick for his bulk, but I'd wager that Folau has a higher top end speed and a smoother running style (although that Kerevi is harder to tackle). Neither of them have much acceleration at all.

Kerevi has this great knack for getting defenders to plant their fleet, then a small step allows him a bit of space to break a tackle or draw a second man. It sometimes feels like it's in slow motion, but it's great to watch.

Laterally on defence is where I think Kerevi might get caught out, though.

Having said that, Kuridrani probably isn't a whole lot faster than Kerevi either.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Incumbency is a great thing to have when you're not playing well and To'omua/Kuridrani will be thankful for 2015, as it gives them a chance for selection that their current form just does not give them.

On form, and assuming Kerevi is recovered but Tomane not, the backline would be:

9. Phipps​
10. Foley​
11. Horne​
12. Beale​
13. Folau​
14. DHP​
15. Hunt​
21. Stirzacker/Frisby (though I reckon Lucas is their equal)​
22. Kerevi​
23. Speedster required. Robinson a bolter, Naivalu maybe,​

Naivalu won't be available for the June tests. Is Nabuli an option? Marika Koroibete would earn a Wallaby spot easily if he switches to Union

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Surely if Folau is moved to 13, we would be looking at something like:

9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne (or someone else. Jesus we're light on wings. Could sure up the midfield in defense though).
12. To'omua
13. Folau
14. DHP
15. Beale

Beales a world class fullback when he's on form, and he's approaching a 2011-esque patch of performances atm.

Horne's not flashy but he's very solid and a good finisher, as well as being a brutal defender as you say. I wouldn't say he's less good than a Corey Jane, who kept being selected in a great New Zealand team. X-factor, schmecx factor.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
If Kerevi is too slow for test rugby then what is Folau?
Folau isn't slow. He's been run down by some very fast players like Beauden Barrett. His top end gas is on a par with other 13s. What Folau does have is world-class acceleration.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I know Kerevi is deceptively quick for his bulk, but I'd wager that Folau has a higher top end speed and a smoother running style (although that Kerevi is harder to tackle). Neither of them have much acceleration at all.

Kerevi has this great knack for getting defenders to plant their fleet, then a small step allows him a bit of space to break a tackle or draw a second man. It sometimes feels like it's in slow motion, but it's great to watch.

Laterally on defence is where I think Kerevi might get caught out, though.

Having said that, Kuridrani probably isn't a whole lot faster than Kerevi either.
Seriously? Folau when in form makes most of his breaks by accelerating past tacklers from a slow jog or standing start, and them failing to lay a hand in him.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
All this talk about Robinson in gold's a bit premature, he still has a lot to learn about rugby. When play becomes unstructured Reece looks absolutely lost, witness the coupla passes under pressure he dropped on Saturday. I reckon he's used to the absolute formularity of league where a player always dies with the ball if there's any risk of a pass not caught or intercepted. Although I was impressed to see him pop up on the left wing to contribute to Horne's try, there've been times this year when Robinson has looked lost when he has to go looking for work after three of four phases.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Question for me is Australia best served by Folau at 13 or 15 taking into account the alternatives in both positions ?

I still prefer the bloke at 15

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think we will see

15 Folau
14 (I have no idea with Tomane out, a 14\15 and\or with added pace) DHP, Robinson, Nabuli, Naivalu or Morahan
13 Kuridrani
12 Beale
11 Horne
10 Foley

Hunt off the bench