• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Luke Jones is very Fardy-esque, and will likely walk into a wider training squad, though the jump to the matchday 23 will be harder for him.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm not sure he has the mongrel that Cheika is after at 6, though.

The type of mongrel we saw from Tui, Dempsey or McMahon.

He could end up filling a Dean Mumm bench 5/6 role.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It is interesting that units coming back look likely to be battling for bench and squad numbers at best. (I think Nau will fit that category by the RWC as well (good for a test level 30 minutes at best))

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It is interesting that units coming back look likely to be battling for bench and squad numbers at best. (I think Nau will fit that category by the RWC as well (good for a test level 30 minutes at best))
They mostly seem to be coming back as they left. Taaf - starter, To'omua - bench, in theory Skelton & Jones - bench/squad.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I would love to have him back at the Tahs. They need a metre gainer and he was someone who always had potential. If he has realised what's needed to be a pro rugby player then why so no?

But why has it taken him so log to realise what's needed and why was he bale to become a Wallaby without realising it? It paints a poor picture of the expectations in Australia if he needed to go to the UK to realise eating better might be a good thing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But why has it taken him so log to realise what's needed and why was he bale to become a Wallaby without realising it? It paints a poor picture of the expectations in Australia if he needed to go to the UK to realise eating better might be a good thing.

I don't think it was a case of not realising what was needed. His fitness and shape from when he first start playing professionally to when he left Australia was chalk and cheese. It's now progressed far further.

He had a big setback after the 2015 RWC when he got injured badly, missed preseason and then struggled to get his fitness back.

I think the clear reason he played for the Wallabies was we were lacking badly in the lock department for players who could provide any sort of impact around the park. This was before Coleman, Arnold, Rodda or Tui had really emerged.

B

Bobby Sands

I think Luke Jones is a great get. Think he will walk back into the squad. Athletic/dynamic tall men are rare.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I thought the recent test series showed us that our locks still have some way to go (including Coleman).

Certainly a lock with test experience coming back into the Tahs would be good for them and, by extension good for Australian rugby.

Props aren’t the only ones who tend to get better with age.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

Skelton sadly peaked in the Waratahs and Chiefs match just before he left. He completely dominated Brodie Retallick in that game as no one else had before nor probably ever will.

Given the way the Tahs turned around big Taqele and the way in which Thor has become an 80 minute player (although he's always been pretty fit given his size) I think there's evidence Australia does an ok job on improving the fitness of certain players.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think we have a tendency to judge players very early, and rule out the possibility they will ever change or get better.

Skelton broke onto the scene when he was very young, and like all of us in our early 20s he probably didn't do everything right. Now he's lived away from home, obviously matured and learned a lot.

It would be foolish to cast him aside because he wasn't up to it a few years ago.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Genia says Wallabies must try harder if they're to turn around form
Wallabies players simply weren't working hard enough across their two latest Bledisloe Cup defeats, according to halfback Will Genia.
Genia said players had to shoulder some of the blame, admitting some weren't doing their "individual jobs" and were throwing out the team's defensive alignments in the process.
"In the heat of the battle, not listening to that voice in your head which tells you to give up or not chase, it's just things like that.
Source: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...y-re-to-turn-around-form-20180904-p501rg.html

Good news everyone! The Wallabies will do better if they just try! They just have to ignore their inner desire "to give up"!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think we have a tendency to judge players very early, and rule out the possibility they will ever change or get better.

Skelton broke onto the scene when he was very young, and like all of us in our early 20s he probably didn't do everything right. Now he's lived away from home, obviously matured and learned a lot.

It would be foolish to cast him aside because he wasn't up to it a few years ago.

It is amazing how many players are deemed "useless" early, will never improve and should be cut.

Unless they then move to "x" team, then his faults was down to team "y"

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So true FP. But in some cases at least, the fault must lie with the selectors/coaches for bringing under-developed players into the top squad too early. Examples : Skelton, Hanigan, Luke Jones. Hopefully it doesn't happen with the current crop of promising young players like Maddocks and Petaia.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Is it anyone's fault?
Skelton didn't leave because he wasn't wanted, he left because Saracens were willing to pay him more than the Tahs could (in the absence of a topup). Same goes for many other players.

Skelton may well have got his act together here in Australia this year.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The coaches can't win Strewth, if a player gets selected and it turns out to be too early then that's someone's fault, and if they don't get selected in preference to a more experienced player then that's someone's fault too.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
If Skelton could get his act together and get ultra fit he would be a hell of an 8 man
If he’s 120kg now then he’s pretty well on his way to being ultra fit considering what he used to be. If the drop in weight does Taqele type improvements to his play then he’ll be in Gold again soon I reckon.