1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by KOB1987, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Tigs Man Allen Oxlade (6)

Toomua starting at 12.

Also 10 cover looking at our bench.
  2. Joe Blow Peter Fenwicke (45)

The pack was never at parity. Maybe we got close at the set piece but even that is debatable. We got smashed at the breakdown and in the collisions.
  3. Joe Blow Peter Fenwicke (45)

I think Toomua/Beale warrants a go at 10/12 but Foley is then on the pine.
    It wouldn't be bad to do this against the Argies at home maybe.
  4. Joe Blow Peter Fenwicke (45)

I see a very good article i the Oz today by Mark Ella suggesting that the Wallabies should change the way they play against the ABs if we seriously wish to challenge them. He's pretty much on the money.
    In recent times we have tried to beat them at their own game, which will almost never work as the recent record suggests.
    We need to be multi faceted and be able to pull a couple of different game plans out of the bag.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...l/news-story/638a57e239b4c00a775e2bebef0ac25d
  5. Brumby Runner Rod McCall (65)

The battle of the packs in open play is ostensibly 8 ABs v 7 Wallabies. And we don't even have our own man-monster there to counteract Retallick. Improvements could be made very easily and quickly. Just needs a couple of personnel changes and we'd be better at the breakdown, if not at parity.
    Joe Blow likes this.
  6. KOB1987 Mark Ella (57)

Yeah let's just pluck a Brodie Retallick out of club land. You haven't noticed 3 of the ABs forwards play loose in open play?
  7. Slim 293 George Gregan (70)

BR is referring to Arnold, who definitely deserves to be starting and would add a bit of starch to the pack.....

It's not going to solve the Wallabies overall problems though.
    RoffsChoice and Brumby Runner like this.
  8. wamberal Simon Poidevin (60)

James Slipper did his chances no harm, I thought. He actually looked a helluva lot more lethal with ball in hand than he did before his unfortunate holiday.
    RoffsChoice and Brumby Runner like this.
  9. KOB1987 Mark Ella (57)

6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Rodda was a deserved starter when he got selected, as was Coleman. Simmons was there for his set piece experience and because he's 'the world's best lineout caller' (in BR's words). All 3 were lacklustre in the Bledisloes and Arnold MIGHT be an upgrade but maybe not also. He's certainly no Retallick.
  10. Brumby Runner Rod McCall (65)

Arnold is definitely the closest we've got to Retallick, and I have no doubt he would have been starting v Ireland had he not been suspended at the time. He was the form Lock in Aus over the Super season prior to his suspension (which incidentally wouldn't be more than a penalty in these latter days of the Super season and the RC).

Three of the ABs back row might play a loose game when the situation requires, but they are always integral to the whole of the forward pack. Apart from hanging off the side of scrums, MH is much more likely to be found somewhere in the backline on both attack and defense. I am still waiting for someone to define his actual role in the team. It doesn't correspond to any role I've ever seen up until now.
  11. Slim 293 George Gregan (70)

12. Derpus Mark Ella (57)

Four hookers..
  13. Gnostic Mark Ella (57)

Contrary to popular belief I am not a cynic, but I don't let my belief that we have some very good resource delude me into thinking that they are well managed or developed.

I have never lost hope that perhaps the real issues will be realised and addressed. These are not cynical thought processes, I do however find it both very amusing and frustrating that people who should know better choose to be blind to the real reasons of disfunction and declining outcomes.
    dru likes this.
  14. Joe Blow Peter Fenwicke (45)

I’d like to se Cottrell in there for Samu.
    Four hookers.....ludicrous
  15. Slim 293 George Gregan (70)

I'm not sure if any players in the Rising did themselves any favours on the weekend...
    Rugbynutter39 likes this.
  16. lpd Ted Fahey (11)

Skelton looking slim and playing well for saracens
  17. Tigs Man Allen Oxlade (6)

In fact Skelton named Man of the match
    Rugbynutter39 likes this.
  18. RoffsChoice Jim Lenehan (48)

Fewer than seven years in Super Rugby, fewer than 60 caps for Aus, Skelton isn't happening. He also just signed his deal with Saracens last year.
  19. Derpus Mark Ella (57)

Good to hear he is doing well though. Tahs have missed him.
  20. joeyjohnz Sydney Middleton (9)

4 hookers as Tatafu will be required to return to Premiership Rugby during the week off