• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
There are some terrible selections and omissions.

Cheika is fucking lucky that 2 of the 3 mid year tests could be won by the UQ Prems team. So his shit win/loss ratio will improve regardless of who is picked.

To me, this is the most disappointing year in my long support of rugby in Australia. This team and these rabbit tests brings no excitement to me. To be fair and under Cheika we (Wallabies) have regressed to the same type of level as the teams we are playing. For the past 15 years or so I have attended all tests in Australia and many around the world including a few World Cups and spent a shitload doing so.

Whilst I am disappointed and will not spend a cent on flights, accommodation, tickets, taxis, entertainment etc I will still watch from the luxury of my 15ft Millard (with annex).

The trouble with the sport (including ARU and coaching staff etc) is that it is losing long term and passionate supporters on lots of levels.

Sorry guys/girls for this negative post, but I am feeling despondent and needed to vent

Hey Scrubber, is that the Millard "Capri", or was the "Capri" the 16 ft model?! We had several great holidays in my In-Laws Millard "Capri" [plus annex], at Shoal Bay (Port Stephens, NSW)! Life was much simpler in those days!!

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I believe the lead by example on the field. Fardy will be missed and he has earnt the losition in the Wallabies 23 this year... just cant see the ABs making a selection mistake like this one of Chieka's... just coaching future nonsense, teach the new players vood winning and workload habits...

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Nothing much controversial in this squad bar perhaps Fardy. Non-controversial does not mean confidence inspiring.

When is Scotland? Real banana skin there.

No Soup team has been more than uninspiring. WBs 2017 are part of the same brew.

June 17. How well we play depends on us getting the best pack possible out there with 5 of our best 7 backs, and a potential replacement center already out.

If Nel and Strauss are fit, I think we've got a good chance, otherwise you guys should have a comfortable, but not dominant victory.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
June 17. How well we play depends on us getting the best pack possible out there with 5 of our best 7 backs, and a potential replacement center already out.

If Nel and Strauss are fit, I think we've got a good chance, otherwise you guys should have a comfortable, but not dominant victory.

Let's check back in after the first test. Right now we should be very worried about the Jocks.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think we should be excited about going in a new direction and opting for an engine room with more grunt. This has been a big issue for Australian rugby for some time making it necessary to pick a back row to compensate for the lack of physicality in our locks. Our back row philosophy also needs a re-think and with Pocock away and McMahon not available we are able to test the water with a more traditional back row.
This is absolutely the time to bring in these young prospects with the luxury of recalling some of the older departing players for the RC if need be.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I just don't get it, if the squad is picked conservatively fans crack the shits - not picked on form they say (because we need new blood!). This squad has new blood, people are despondent before they've even played a test (let alone the 3-5 they need to really hit their straps).

And for those who are pissed off we don't have a good inbound test season (I'm sure the ARU finance team are), it's during the Lions series. One country will play France in a series (South Africa), everyone else fights for scraps. Next best options are PI Nations, Japan, Italy, and whichever British nation is missing the least stars. You'll notice we've ticked all of those boxes bar Japan.

Lets be less negative! The Wallabies of 2017 are in a Shrodinger's Cat situation, they're neither good nor bad yet.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I think we should be excited about going in a new direction and opting for an engine room with more grunt. This has been a big issue for Australian rugby for some time making it necessary to pick a back row to compensate for the lack of physicality in our locks. Our back row philosophy also needs a re-think and with Pocock away and McMahon not available we are able to test the water with a more traditional back row.
This is absolutely the time to bring in these young prospects with the luxury of recalling some of the older departing players for the RC if need be.
Fardy should be there alongside these debutants... coming from under preforming OZ super teams... absolute ARU coach BS, Chieka work last year was poor and this isnt a start to build a winning culture...i'm completely amazed...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Fardy wasn't leaving Australian rugby I think he'd definitely be in the squad. If he's not the first choice 6 I can certainly accept not having him in the squad.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Fardy should be there alongside these debutants. coming from under preforming OZ super teams. absolute ARU coach BS, Chieka work last year was poor and this isnt a start to build a winning culture.i'm completely amazed.

Well he isn't, Chieka explained his reasons for leaving him out of this squad.

1/ He isn't planned to be a test starter
2/ He is thought of at the moment as a starter only, not a bench option
3/ The balance are there for development
4/ If we need him to start, he will be picked from outside the squad

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
SOOOO much butthurt, Hooper can play the traditional #7 role if the coach wants him to. He played for the Brumbies when Pocock was busted in his break out year before he went to the 'Tahs and he was a beast... if Cheika wants him doing something different he will do that.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Fardy should be there alongside these debutants. coming from under preforming OZ super teams. absolute ARU coach BS, Chieka work last year was poor and this isnt a start to build a winning culture.i'm completely amazed.

The debutants have plenty of experience around them just not specifically Fardy. Not all experience is equal and maybe Cheika is looking for something else? Ditto for the omissions of Simmons, Douglas and Mumm.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^
Hooper wouldn't know how to play as a traditional 7.

He is a roamer and opportunist (and a good one at that). His scrum work is fairly poor. I agree that Chek gives him every opportunity to play the way he does but sometimes I think that is to the detriment of a strong unified pack.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
SOOOO much butthurt, Hooper can play the traditional #7 role if the coach wants him to. He played for the Brumbies when Pocock was busted in his break out year before he went to the 'Tahs and he was a beast. if Cheika wants him doing something different he will do that.

I guess you mean an Aus "traditional #7", because many countries don't run one, the fetching responsibilities are now just as much spread throughout the team and the 7 is required to be more of an all-rounder.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Hooper has been playing tighter and winning breakdown ball for the Tahs in recent weeks. I have no doubt he can perform that role, but is that how Cheika will use him? Anyway, there will be a few debutantes during this season of tests. Let's not write any of them off if they have a less than stellar performance in their first game. Give them two or three outings to show their true worth. Hoping for big performances from Tui, Powell and Hanigan especially.

On another note, I can see Karmichael Hunt becoming the new AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Not a consistent starting player at this stage, but likely to get good game time because he can cover centre, wing and full back.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hooper is currently leading the comp for turnovers won...........

BH beat me to it..........

As for turnovers lost - the competition leader for that one is Damian McKenzie, followed by Quade.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
^^^^
Hooper wouldn't know how to play as a traditional 7.

He is a roamer and opportunist (and a good one at that). His scrum work is fairly poor. I agree that Chek gives him every opportunity to play the way he does but sometimes I think that is to the detriment of a strong unified pack.

This isn't the 1970s, rugby at a decent level simply isn't played like that anymore