• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallaby 12 Conundrum

Who do you think should be the Wallaby 12?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
For sure Burgo was/is a better carrier, that handy "9th forward". Holmes never was able to use his bulk IIRC and subsequently is oft-regarded as not fulfilling his potential. Can't even recall his passing game. Assuming it wasn't great either?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
For sure Burgo was/is a better carrier, that handy "9th forward". Holmes never was able to use his bulk IIRC and subsequently is oft-regarded as not fulfilling his potential. Can't even recall his passing game. Assuming it wasn't great either?

He was pretty good as a junior, in fact up until that game against Burgess he looked like the next big thing at half-back.

Burgess really killed him.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Yeah Holmes is quite tall.

I just remember seeing Burgess, Stirzaker and Meehan training at the Rebels last December. Burgess looked like a number 8 compared to the both of them. That being said I'm 178cm and 92kg and I looked like a number 8 when standing talking to Meehan.

178 and 92kgs.
Sounds like you need to get off the protein shakes !!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Lots of 'harbour bridge' passes. Not a bullet pass certainly.

Mortal Wombat

Allen Oxlade (6)
At the risk of putting a few noses out of joint, I think selecting either Tomua or Godwin is a very conservative pick, more like what the Poms or Africans would do rather than the traditionally more ambitious Wallabies.

This state of affairs really only came about through the back door to cover defensive inadequacies on the part of the blokes playing 10, namely Cooper and Beale.

What are the outstanding characteristics of Tomua? A strong defense. An ok runner and kicker, but he's not going to frighten anyone in the top international teams doing either.

I think we need more out of the Wallaby 12, either a bash and barge merchant, or a proper creative player. Someone with genuinely threatening offensive capabilities, like Kuridrani or Lealifano.

T

Train Without a Station

You cannot say that To'omua is a conservative option and then say Leali'ifano is a much better attacking option. To'omua replaced Leali'ifano at 12 because he was offering more in attack in his performances off the bench.

To'omua provides that role that Anthony Fainga'a successfully did at the reds during their best years, but just does it better.

Mortal Wombat

Allen Oxlade (6)
To'omua provides that role that Anthony Fainga'a successfully did at the reds during their best years

Which is a respectable all round game and a good defense. We need more than that, especially if we're picking mere mortals at 10 instead of Quade.

Lealifano ran that backline pretty well before he had his big injury and loss of form.

Regardless, please don't take the players I used as examples to discount the underlying logic. There are other options who best go un named at this stage.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Realistically though if you look at the potential 12 options, To'omua is probably the second most playmaker option we have.

Beale was the biggest playmaker in the position in Super Rugby this year but his defence was a huge problem at test level and he's gone anyway.

Leali'ifano was a great playmaker in 2012 but he hasn't produced that since. As it looks like he is going to start this weekend, hopefully he does well. His playmaking ability compared to To'omua is pretty similar though and really just a question of form. To'omua's form has been down in recent weeks but Leali'ifano's has been non-existant this year.

Godwin is less of a playmaker at this stage but probably the best ball runner of the lot.

Inman is more of a bosher but improved the subtlety of his game in 2014.

Tapuai was largely played at 13 in 2014 but it's been a fair while since he's shown any sort of form that would have him selected for the Wallabies.

You criticise To'omua's playmaking but then seemingly point to a non-existant playmaking 12 as the solution.

T

Train Without a Station

Regardless, please don't take the players I used as examples to discount the underlying logic. There are other options who best go un named at this stage.

Well don't say them then.

You stated Leali'ifano was a better attacking option than Matt To'omua. I simply responded that when both had been played in the same team in the same position, To'omua had been a better attacking player, which is why he replaced Leali'ifano. In addition he offered a better version of the Anthony Fainga'a influence also.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
How many centre pairings have we had over the last decade? That would be an interesting statistic.

Mortal Wombat

Allen Oxlade (6)
Train Without a Station said:
when both had been played in the same team in the same position, To'omua had been a better attacking player, which is why he replaced Leali'ifano.

The better is a matter of opinion, and I believe the change was made due to injury, if my memory serves correct.

In their best form, Lealifano offers more in attack, IMO.

T

Train Without a Station

In my opinion, based on To'omua actually doing it at test level, he offers more. In addition, he offers more in defense, our biggest concern. In fact we've fallen apart when he's been off the field.

T

Train Without a Station

It was a blatant guess. Could be spot on. Prior to the 2009 we saw Giteau/Mortlock, Larkham/Mortlock, Giteau/Tuqiri, Staniforth/Mortlock, Mortlock/Cross, Tahu/Mortlock, Tahu/Cross alone I think Probably Barnes/Mortlock too.

Status
Not open for further replies.