• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The worst thing to happen to a parent with a kid doing sport (Special Request)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Last saturday we had Eversdal doing sport against our Paarl Gym Prymary kids and a enjoyable day it was. This year we have a excellent U13 barefoot rugby team. With only 200 boys our U13 rugby group produce a record 12 kids playing provincial rugby for WP U12 and U13 rugby teams. Our U11 and U9 age group can only produce one rugby team.

Anyway one of our 8 year old boys , Dilon Neethling, had a breakdown in his rugby game on saturday, was taken to hospital to be diagnose with leukamia. His white blood cells count was 2 iso 18 and had already his first chemo treatment.

you know when you have kids and they play rugby as a sport you tend to push him when he moan about tiredness. Be carefull but the one positive out of this is that they now have discover the cancer and can treat it. His dad is also fighting cancer and with a little sussie its tough on the parents one with the boy in Tygerberg and the other with little sussie in Paarl.

This request from the prayer request from the parents in afrikaans

Dilon Neethling , is `n 8 jarige seuntjie in ons skool, Laerskool Gimnasium Paarl.

Hy het saterdag tydens sy rugby wedstryd, inmekaar gesak. Nadat sy ouers met hom hospitaal toe is en bloedtoetse gedoen is , is leukemia gediagnoseer. Sy witbloedsel telling was 2 ipv 18. Hy is tans in Tygerberg hospitaal opgeneem en hulle gaan vandag beenmurg trek om toetse te doen maar dit lyk blykbaar nie goed nie. Bo en behalwe vir die feit dat ons bid vir `n wonderwerk van genesing, bid ons ook vir genoeg personeel wat in die pediatriese saal kan help. Dra hom en sy familie asb in julle gebede op. Sy pa is ook tans besig om teen kanker te baklei.

Stuur vir julle email buddies aan asb!

Ons weet hoe groot God se genade is en ons loof en prys Hom daarvoor!

Groete

Jonette

Mods feel free to delete the request if you think its not in the right taste but myself place them on the schpool rugby forums and maybe some parent out there maybe learn some lesson about this.

Dankie by Voorbaat!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Just received response from the mum after yesterdays tests and the kid are a high risk one. He will recieve 8 months intensive care and 2 years maintenance. They taking it hour by hour with the kid.

H

Hartman

Very bad news. Best of luck to the klein mannetjie with his recovery. Sterkte.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That's shithouse. We had a similar situation last year with the parents of one of the other kids in my kids class: the father has motor neurone disease (terminal) and the mother diagnosed with bowel cancer. Absolutely terrible stuff.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Feel free to send him and his family your message on their facebook group. Pretty sure they will appreciate every single bit of help during this rough and tough time. They are afrikaans like myself but in the current state they will appreciate it even more if it xome from far and wise as Australia.

Here is a photo where his family calls him the young Schalk Burger already.

http://sphotos.AK (Andrew Kellaway).fbcdn.net/photos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-ash1/v295/6/38/703465958/n703465958_747164_5712.jpg

His group to place a message
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=120707784648455

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thanks for those who post messages, Hartman jy is 'n ster! I see when the going gets tough for him the dad read all this messages to help him through the pain. The latest is that they cant operate on him becuase the vains are to flat after all the chemo. So you welcome to send him those message, its been a big help menatlly for the family.

Myself will try my outmost best to get Rob Louw and Schalk Burger on his bedside as soon as possible. Will attend Newlands tonite , hope to see Rob again and have already set this special moment up for the kiddie.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Myself dont know much about this but understand his white blood cell count was 237, is now down to 189 after this week chemo and should be under 10. Long way to go.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Terrible news, Paarl. The only good thing with these cases is that kids have an amazing ability to cope, and sometimes the aggressive cancers like this respond the best to chemotherapy. While I am not a very religious man, my thoughts are with him and his family.
PS - I love how your kids play barefoot - I was mucking around with the footy in the backyard the other day with my 9year old, and he asked why everyone doesn't just play with no shoes here!! I'll show him the photo!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Terrible news, Paarl. The only good thing with these cases is that kids have an amazing ability to cope, and sometimes the aggressive cancers like this respond the best to chemotherapy. While I am not a very religious man, my thoughts are with him and his family.
PS - I love how your kids play barefoot - I was mucking around with the footy in the backyard the other day with my 9year old, and he asked why everyone doesn't just play with no shoes here!! I'll show him the photo!
Ja our kids plays barefoot till U13 (Prymary School). I do notice the Cape Town schools plays with tokke. Must have something to do with the weather altho Paarl can be wet and muddy. Most SA players will tell you their memories playing the frost off the grass and they always starts with they U7s, 6 year old kiddies.

H

Hartman

Ja our kids plays barefoot till U13 (Prymary School). I do notice the Cape Town schools plays with tokke. Must have something to do with the weather altho Paarl can be wet and muddy. Most SA players will tell you their memories playing the frost off the grass and they always starts with they U7s, 6 year old kiddies.

I know Rondebosch play barefoot as well. I think all the Cape Schools do?

R

rugbyfan

Sending regards to the parents! Tough times to come, good luck!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Glad to report Dillin is back to school this week. Still on medicine but at least on his birthday, joining his pelle.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Glad to report Dillin is back to school this week. Still on medicine but at least on his birthday, joining his pelle.

Absolutely great news Paarl and thank you for sharing it with us. :thumb All the best too the young lad in the future.

The barefoot rugby brings back some great memories. I still remember my younger brother crying his eyes out when he went to wear his brand new first pair of boots and the coach told him he couldn't. :lmao:

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Good Luck to the kid, similar situation in my school where a mate of mines dad got cancer and then his brother got a cancer scare about two months later.

Barefoot Rugby? Never seen this up north haha, the start of the rugby season is decent but come november I don't think too many U8's would want to be running around on frosty pitches.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Wouldn't the NH version be something like "Short-sleeve Rugby", Dobbie? ;)

Great news. Being part of a strong community goes a long way when dealing with adversity; a sporting community is second only to family in terms of strength in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.