• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Things that I love about Rugby these days

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
So it's not all doom and gloom, and I don't mean any disrespect to the great Lee Grant, but why not have a bit of optimism about this place too?

I will start the ball rolling:

How competitive the minnows were at the Rugby World Cup
Our Plethora of dynamic backs (when they are all fit)
Seeing some hard nosed forwards come through the system (Pocock, Cliffy, TPN, Simmo)
The Wallabies are playing tests at the SFS again
Only 1417 hours until Super Rugby starts!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The fact that although we all see a few problems, it remains the best game there is.
Although one or two people in this day and age get pretty hard to deal with, the fact that I always feel I can enjoy talking about the game with supporters from any team.
And also the fact that my club has a brand new clubrooms, and fields to play on this year.
And not too long until it all starts again!!

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
A Qld coach finally being able to hold his nerve and trust the skill and ability of his players.

Maybe one day we'll get a wallabies coach who will do the same.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Rugby on the Internet. Being able to read about or watch the game being played in far flung places.

...and of course GAGR. Having a place to discuss rugby with others who are passionate about the game.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I actually think they've got the balance between attack and defence at the breakdown about right. It fluctuates depending on the ref on the day (and whether he's willing to penalise the All Blacks ;)) but that says to me we're hovering around the right midpoint laws and interpretations wise - say vs a couple years back when the saffas kicked their way to wins, or in our golden age in the 90s when it was just a recyclathon

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The team I love won the tiltle and stuck it too those who said they couldn't.

The vibe in Australian rugby was also special in 2011. Non traditional rugby fans talking about the game

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I love that fans can mix before, during and after games with no trouble at all, share a few drinks and talk rugby for hours no matter who you support.

ABs excepted I like how competitive the game is at international level is and how unpredictable the games were in the RWC.

I really enjoyed my team's (Leinster) 2nd half performance in the HEC final, to come back from so far was unbelievable and also their performance against Bath in the 4th round of this years competition for it's precision, pace and ruthlessness. Something else that's really good to see is the slow re-emergence of Ulster as a force in the HEC, Munster rebuilding and winning the tight games again while Connacht have continued their improvement of recent seasons. All in all Irish rugby is looking good at a provincial level.

Also no matter how much we complain about referees or the IRB or our respective national unions I like how generally uncorrupt (Bloodgate & Samoa management aside) the game is compared to other major world sports.

S

spooony

Tri-Nations and The Super 15.
Super 15 especially as a team can struggle and suddenly is on fire the next few years. Although not my team I really enjoyed the Reds last year and this and good to see them back.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
So it's not all doom and gloom, and I don't mean any disrespect to Lee Grant, but why not have a bit of optimism about this place too?

No disrespect was inferred, after all: in the preface to my "What gets up my nose" posts, which were turned into a blog by Moses, I took care to preface my comments with "Our sport is more enjoyable to watch than it was in the olden times when I was young, but there are a few things about the modern game I would rather be without."

I also posted: "The rugby I watched as a young bloke was a horrible spectacle but we didn't know any better."

It's much more enjoyable now: Until the late 1950s you couldn't even pick up the ball after a tackle without being pinged: you had to play it with your foot first.

As for lineouts: until about 1970 you could kick the ball directly into touch and gain ground from anywhere on the field. And in those days before there was a credible gap in the lineout and wingers used to bowl the ball into them over-arm, the team that kicked the ball out on the full in general play had about a 40% chance to get the ball back. It was kick, kick, kick in international games (though fortunately Oz had dispensation to use something close to the current law in domestic rugby.)

How does a tragic like myself pick what aspects of the game they like now? Apart from the scrums, which were much better then, because it they were real contests and had a high completion rate, most of it is better. The negatives relate not so much to the game itself but how it is treated by negative players, referees who ignore some of the laws (all eras had good and poor referees), commentators who seem bigger than the game, officials controlling the sport, and yarda, yarda. People.

But I tell you what an old mate of mine liked about the modern game; well, not too long ago on my time scale. Wal is no longer with us but he was a Rabittoh (South Sydney rugby league) fan and I always tried to get him to come with me to watch the Tahs, but he wouldn't. Then one day he said he would.

I asked him why he wanted to this time and he said it was to watch league player Mat Rogers play his first game of rugby union in Sydney. (It must have been 2002.) On the way home I asked him what he liked most and he was stuck for an answer because it was clear he didn't like most of it, though he was glad that Rogers wasn't going to be playing against Souths any more, or so he thought.

Then he said that he liked the lineouts. It was a technical element of the game (my words) that was interesting because they were easy to understand for a league fan. And the lifting of guys up in the air after deceiving opponents, or the contesting for the pill way up there from a precise throw if they weren't fooled, was like an aerial ballet contest - (my words again, Wal was not much for dancing.)

Wal never went to another game of union: one was enough for him; but I remembered his comment. I think he had it right: the lineout is a wonderful element of our sport and much, much better than in the olden times of my youth when Rafferty's Rules prevailed.

Come to think of it: it was a bit like the scrum is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.