• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Thoughts on AAMI Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AIDAN

New stadium looks good but only seats 30 thousand which as a dissapointment for me. Also the roof leaked all over the fans at the League game.

what are your thoughts?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rebels wont get more than 30, 000. Leaks can be sealed. For bigger games Etihad is still available.

A

AIDAN

why waste 270 million for only 30000. its apparantly roughly $124 a seat for undercover.

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)
I'm a big fan of it. A packed small stadium is way better than a half full large stadium.

Cool photo from the Age from Friday night.
600_GALL_AAMI_SS2-600x400.jpg

Pretty keen to go there, just not that excited for a Storm game, I think I'll be waiting for the rebels. I'm suspecting a rebels membership will be fairly huge if they're charging $124 for an undercover seat.

A

AIDAN

yeah no doubt it looks superb. also the seast are supposed to be closer to the game than most stadiums giving it a better atmosphere. good for the Storm as they dont get bumper crowds and it beats their old stadium. i wonder if traffic would be terrible if there is a game at Etihad or MCG at the same time.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
AD said:
why waste 270 million for only 30000. its apparantly roughly $124 a seat for undercover.

Contractual obligations with Etihad. The government would have been in breach of contract if they had seated more than approx 30k there.

It's still worth it to have a dedicated rectangular stadium in Melbourne.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
AD said:
i wonder if traffic would be terrible if there is a game at Etihad or MCG at the same time.

Etihad is not a problem, its in a fairly different part of the City.

Games at the 'G or an event at Rod Laver might cause more problems. However, the sporting district is very well serviced by PT, which will ameliorate such concerns.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
James has it in a nutshell. They cannot make it larger at present. However it is designed to be expanded without any major structural change having to take place. The foundations are such that it can almost double in size once the Ethad contractual obligation thingo runs out.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
I heard nothng but positive feedback from friends who went on friday night. I would hasten to add that I dont think they were amongst the lucky who had cold running water as an non-optional extra. The leaks are due to the stadium not being completely finished so they will be sorted soon.
The playing surface looks brilliant.

C

chief

I think as they want a Soccer World Cup, they should have made it so that the roof can be easily upgradeable, now it cannot do so. Would have been worth having it possibly upgradeable to 50k for FIFA WC. Not happening though.

I like it's intimacy though, I would like to go to it next year as well. If the Rebels make the S14 finals, I take it that the finals will be held at Ethiad.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'd like to get there for a Tahs game at some point, or even for the Rebels v anybody. As the kids get older, weekend trips to Melbourne are a possibility because their grandmother can look after them in Sydney ;)

A

AIDAN

NTA said:
I'd like to get there for a Tahs game at some point, or even for the Rebels v anybody. As the kids get older, weekend trips to Melbourne are a possibility because their grandmother can look after them in Sydney ;)

Rebels vs Tahs would be terrific

A

AIDAN

i heard they wanted to schedule a Rebels vs another Aussie team for their first home game. any truth to this?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
AD said:
i heard they wanted to schedule a Rebels vs another Aussie team for their first home game. any truth to this?

Well, you play every home team twice, dont you? Home and away? Very good chance of that.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Was at bubbledome for the mungo "test" (my bro is a mungo supporter and the deal was the next morning we fly to hamilton) and the stadium seems to be form over function

Status
Not open for further replies.