• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Folau and his agent would have discussed when and why he should announce his departure from the Giants. He announced if at a time that was outside of when most Australia Super rugby contracts are set in stone. Therefore, I believe when he said he was considering union he would have been referring to France and Japan.

However, it is obvious he largely he chose his time to announce his departure from AFL due to it being a good time of year to sign up to a league club. He was never considering playing Aussie Super rugby for a second or him and his no doubt intelligent support staff would have ensured he was available for contracting.

Things at this level of professionalism rarely happen by mistake.

Enforcer, genuine question - how was this good timing to sign with a league club? It was my understanding most league squads were finalised - hence why Parramatta's offer to him needs to be back ended to make it more acceptable.

When I heard the announcement I remember thinking he couldn't have timed it much worse.

You may well be right re rugby in France or Japan though.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Wing is probably the only place the wallabies have some good depth, Mitchell, Digby, Turner, JOC (James O'Connor), Ioane, Tomane, Spreight (will be eligible next year), Shipperly, Morahan.

I agree, his services are not required.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The answer is in the crowd response to the Angels Song "Am I Ever Going To See Your Face Again?"

Have we not learned anything over the past 10 years?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think the fact that no one has put their hand up would suggest they have learnt.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Wing is probably the only place the wallabies have some good depth, Mitchell, Digby, Turner, JOC (James O'Connor), Ioane, Tomane, Spreight (will be eligible next year), Shipperly, Morahan.

I agree, his services are not required.

Don't agree with this arguement -

1. You missed Cummings BTW. Including him we have 4 (I didn't count both Digby & Ioane ;) )out of the above group fit. This week. Out of those Cummins, Digby & Mitchell have all had some injury issues. Ok, I hope we have better luck with injuries next year, but what if we don't. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could cover wing again, but it is not his best spot.

2. Why does it just have to be about the Wallabies? Our super squads are currently recruiting journey men Kiwi's who are prepared to openly state they wish they where somewhere else. Wouldn't it be great for Australian rugby if we could improve the competitiveness of our squads across the board. Particularly with Australian eligible players.

3. He has the skills to play fullback. Maybe not straight away but he is better under the highball then anyone we have currently. He can kick, has speed and will have high aerobic capacity.

Also, with regards to learning over the last 10 yrs. Absolutely - don't give someone a golden ticket. If he doesn't cut the mustard, make him earn it. As happened with Chambers. If he then goes elsewhere, so be it - plenty of born and bred rugby players have buggered off elsewhere because they couldn't cut it. Doesn't mean they didn't contribute to super rugby when they were here. In the meantime the likes of Tomane, Mogg & Saffy are showing more than enough promise to justify the investment in them.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Enforcer, genuine question - how was this good timing to sign with a league club? It was my understanding most league squads were finalised - hence why Parramatta's offer to him needs to be back ended to make it more acceptable.

When I heard the announcement I remember thinking he couldn't have timed it much worse.

You may well be right re rugby in France or Japan though.

A good point but the it must be possible to sign expensive leaguies at this point, whereas for Super Rugby it's impossible at this stage baring a rule dispensation.

After all, if SBW, Folau, Mason, and Scott Prince officially signed in the last week (though obviously some were previously announced).

Ewen's isn't buying the Folau thing anyway. Worth a squizz: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...ll-head-to-union/story-fn2mcuj6-1226517133183

A

AlexH

Nah, he did not forget to mention Cummins. That kid is atrocious.

D

daz

daz, daz, daz.even if the ARU had the money (hoping that thyere keeping some aside for Deans' termination package) do we really want go down this path again?

Don't read too much into what I said. I wasn't advocating that the ARU clean out the vaults and deposit the lot at Izzy's door. I also wasn't saying that all the Oz S15 clubs should convene a board meeting to find ways of making room for him.

I just said it would be madness not to have a look at him. Talk to him. See if there is a) a sniff of interest and b) any ability worth developing.

My understanding is that Folau is going to the Eels, so this is a moot argument, but any bloke with a skin-full of talent should be looked at.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Folau's involvement in AFL was a marketing ploy aimed at getting Islander kids interested in their game. It was a gamble but it didn't work and it cost a lot of money.

Should rugby take the same gamble? No, they should put their limited resources into kids who have already made a commitment to rugby.

D

daz

Folau's involvement in AFL was a marketing ploy aimed at getting Islander kids interested in their game. It was a gamble but it didn't work and it cost a lot of money.

Should rugby take the same gamble? No, they should put their limited resources into kids who have already made a commitment to rugby.

Yes, you are right it was a marketing ploy and nothing else.

I will say this in defence of Folau: If someone offers to make you the highest paid footballer in the entire country at the age of 23, in a code you have had no experience in and no real expectation is placed on you being any good straight away, would you take it?

I think quite a few people would sign on the dotted line, especially knowing that you still have time to go back to your first choice code after you have set yourself up for life.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't think any rational thinking person begrudges Folau's move to chase the $ offerred by AFL.

ATEOTD I reckon he was considered an expendable promotional and marketing tool by the AFL. Given the amount of column inches and TV cover they got at the time, it was probably a very cost effective way of acquiring that air time, column inches, and general media coverage.

If he turned out OK at the code, then that would have been a bonus.

Can Heavensgame afford to use him as a promotional and marketing tool? Na.

He has probably earned enough money from AFL to go into semi-retirement, and play golf and work part time for charities etc, possibly to go to uni and study for a degree and a second career.

D

daz

Worst winger since Rod Davies to pull on the Green and Gold.

Like a white Copper Vuna except without the amazing running game.

AlexH, I am going to have to ask you to back that up with some original thought. What makes Cummins an "atrocious" winger and the "worst winger since Rod Davies"?

Can you elaborate a bit, please? You don't have to like him, but at least tell us why. Otherwise, your post is swinging dangerously close to playing the man.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Nah, he did not forget to mention Cummins. That kid is atrocious.

I used to think the same, but on recent performances I have been converted to the altar of the Honey Badger. This kid has guts & determination.... he looks pretty good in Green & Gold.
You have to let past prejudices go mate. The Honey Badger has evolved!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
.../snip/.. Players are either excellent or the worst Wallaby since Hitler.

I can't recall him playing for the Wobs. He may have been listed in the reserves for Aust A, or been listed in a selection trial or two but pretty sure he never took the field against any opponent for the Wallabies, therefore he can not be considered one of the Worst Wallabies.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.