• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well, I assume that we all agree that the ARU should do absolutely everything in its power to retain Folau.

That was the best debut performance I have ever seen. I would be very, very surprised if it was not the best debut performance ever for the Wobbs, and maybe for any Test team in the history of the game.

SBW, a genuine loig superstar, took a couple of seasons to hit his straps. Izzy played wing for the first time in his first Test, and killed 'em.

I reckon he could move to 12 right now and make a very good fist of it. The guy's a natural.

comparison with how long it took SBW is certainly valid, IMHO

T

TOCC

hmmm SBW was playing in the centres though, its a completely different ball game when defending and attacking from 13.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
hmmm SBW was playing in the centres though, its a completely different ball game when defending and attacking from 13.

No it's not, it is the same ball game. Players are chosen to play in the position that best suits them, presumably. SBW took two years to learn the ropes in the position for which he was thought to be best suited (12, not 13).

Izzy learned the ropes in a few weeks. I would back him to play 12 (or even 13) well enough to survive next Saturday. He has huge natural ability, great speed and agility. He would make mistakes, but he is gifted enough to recover.

And his strengths would far, far outweigh his weaknesses.

T

TOCC

No it's not, it is the same ball game. Players are chosen to play in the position that best suits them, presumably. SBW took two years to learn the ropes in the position for which he was thought to be best suited (12, not 13).

Izzy learned the ropes in a few weeks. I would back him to play 12 (or even 13) well enough to survive next Saturday. He has huge natural ability, great speed and agility. He would make mistakes, but he is gifted enough to recover.

And his strengths would far, far outweigh his weaknesses.

There have been plenty of world class wingers who failed to perform when shifted to the centres, likewise there are plenty of centres who would struggle if they were moved to wing. The defensive patterns and required ability to read the game are considerably more complicated in the centres then on the wing...

Izzy probably could play in the centres, i'm just pointing out that comparing SBW and Izzy's transition into union isn't exactly a straightforward comparison given the different positions the two players moved into.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I struggle to comprehend the Australian obsession with moving one of your best performers to an unfamiliar position. Folau is an excellent full back and showed last night he's an excellent wing at the highest level. Why move him around until you find a position that he can't perform at, at test level, especially for a must win game?

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I struggle to comprehend the Australian obsession with moving one of your best performers to an unfamiliar position. Folau is an excellent full back and showed last night he's an excellent wing at the highest level. Why move him around until you find a position that he can't perform at, at test level, especially for a must win game?

It's not an obsession with yours truly, I agree totally. If it aint broke don't fix it, so leave Folau in the back 3, there are plenty of 1st class options for 12 if Lilo, Barnes &/or McCabe are ruled out.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
1. Get all the money.

2. Put money in truck. Check money fills truck. If not, get more money.

3. Drive truck to Israel Folau's house.

And if the ARU doesn't have enough money, maybe they could have a kickstarter campaign.

I am sure plenty of Aussie rugby fans would chip in some dollars to sweeten the pot.

He has arguably become the Wallabies best attacking threat after one test. Scoring that second try with such ease was outrageous. There wasn't a whole lot on but he barely had a hand laid on him.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
And if the ARU doesn't have enough money, maybe they could have a kickstarter campaign.

I am sure plenty of Aussie rugby fans would chip in some dollars to sweeten the pot.

He has arguably become the Wallabies best attacking threat after one test. Scoring that second try with such ease was outrageous. There wasn't a whole lot on but he barely had a hand laid on him.
That quality, making space and beating players when he has no rights to do so, has been what stood out all season for me. For a big guy, he moves in "no space" unlike many other players I have seen. Super talent.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
The ARU has to pull out all the stops to get him to re sign. This guy is going to rugbys next superstar, his speed of development is unbelievable!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have been around for a long, long time. I have never seen an Australian rugby player with as much potential as Folau. He is absolutely made for the game.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
I assume Israel reads Green and Gold Rugby. If you are not Israel Folau, please disregard this message.

Dear Israel,

I am so sorry to have ever doubted you. The AFL and NRL can get stuffed.

Welcome home.

Sincerely,
Stu.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Dear Israel,

The only thing we doubted about was your commitment to the establishment (the eastern heartland of Sydney rugby) rather than your roots. Sydney's south and West need you. Uni have an enviable reputation and programme but the west and south west need you.

Congratulations, but we never doubted your ability.

Doesn't it feel good to have people around the world recognise your athletic skills. Play your cards right and you will get a gig on the worlds biggest sporting stage and party - Rio 2016 Rugby 7s. It does not get any better.

State of Origin and Paul Gallen is the best alternative. If that is all you want then good luck to you.

Your call Big Guy.

yours in rugby
Hugh

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
1. Get all the money.

2. Put money in truck. Check money fills truck. If not, get more money.

3. Drive truck to Israel Folau's PARENTS CHURCH

fixed again. :)

Awhile back in article, quoted by his farther he get a small wage and the a large percentage goes to there church

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
fixed again. :)

Awhile back in article, quoted by his farther he get a small wage and the a large percentage goes to there church

Got a link to the article biggsy? Wouldn't mind a read.

I know there was a fair bit of media coverage some time ago when he and his family left the LDS church.

Status
Not open for further replies.