• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
This is the best news for the code in a while. He will get better. When he does, watch out world.

What were the odds of Folau being the Wallabies equal leading try scorer for a calendar year when Wamberal made this keen prediction in late August? The team was struggling to score tries let alone one player bagging 10.

For all of his obvious talent and the way it is manifesting itself by, for eg, his exemplary form under the high ball and returning it with interest, his prodigious side step, his power close to the line (the only way we could get past Argentina in Perth), there are some obvious aspects of his play that can and will improve, perhaps markedly.

He would probably readily admit that the timing of his passes is frequently astray and his decision making in near contact can put himself and his teammates under some needless pressure.

I expect that his improvement in these areas alone will reap great dividends for the Tahs and Wallabies in 2014 and beyond.

T

tranquility

It's a really weird comparison, but Jonah Placid the young QLDer plays a little bit similarly to Izzy at the back in style at least. I hope I haven't put the mockers on him!

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Not sure if this was already raised, but while we know that Izzy has equaled the Dark Shark's record of meat pies in a year, was LT's record achieved in his DEBUT year?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not sure if this was already raised, but while we know that Izzy has equaled the Dark Shark's record of meat pies in a year, was LT's record achieved in his DEBUT year?

No. It was in his second year as a Wallaby, 2004. He did only get 12 tests to do it in compared to Folau's 15 though.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't know if this has been posted before (its 767 comments to check) but I just re-read the first five pages of this thread and I reckon there are a number of posters who wish they could go back and delete what they wrote. Kudos to Quick Hands and Paris Tah, who could see the benefit he might bring to our game.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I don't know if this has been posted before (its 767 comments to check) but I just re-read the first five pages of this thread and I reckon there are a number of posters who wish they could go back and delete what they wrote. Kudos to Quick Hands and Paris Tah, who could see the benefit he might bring to our game.

There were others who could see the benefits. Modesty forbids, etc etc

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
The whole code hopper thing is such a massive beat up... those guys worked well in their time, a drop goal off winning a RWC in 2003... LT, Dell and utility back Rogers... Wallabies played some good exciting rugby back then, better than anything seen under Deans or worst Connolly...

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
There were others who could see the benefits. Modesty forbids, etc etc
Your first two posts in the thread say that ARU should stay clear of him and not raid other codes because cash is an issue ;)

Fair point, but I'm glad they did.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Your first two posts in the thread say that ARU should stay clear of him and not raid other codes because cash is an issue ;)

Fair point, but I'm glad they did.

To be scrupulously fair (to moi), in my first post I said that speculation about Folau crossing to rugby was mere speculation (which it was at the time). This was a chap who had a $1 mill a year contract in the AFL, and who, I assumed, the NRL would fall over backwards to retain.

In my second post I said that the ARU should wait until he or his manager expressed an interest in our sport.

I would still say that it is probably better for the ARU to retain the classy schoolboys that we are losing to loig (players who have demonstrated an aptitude for our code, unlike Izzy at the time) - but thank goodness somebody took a punt.

I have not checked back, but I am pretty sure that I would have pretty positive about the signing, after it had happened. In retrospect, I am even more flabbergasted that we got him for what was, apparently, a bargain price at the time (thanks to the total ineptitude of the NRL). The sheer publicity value of signing a marquee player that the AFL had thrown squillions at, that was priceless. And I did point that out, ad nauseam, in later posts.

Anyway, thanks for keeping me on my ageing toes.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Anyway, thanks for keeping me on my ageing toes.
You were supportive in later posts, I'm just stirring. I said there was no way in hell he'd come to rugby and I'd eat my hat if he did. I've only just finished digesting it.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
http://www.brw.com.au/p/business/brw_top_sports_earners_list_for_6VLF7mok4PMxzOxHAMb9KK
43 Israel Folau Rugby Union $1.5m
Australian Wallaby also won 2014 Super Rugby title with NSW Waratahs

Not an aussie rules or league player in sight but Less embarrassing than the fact that Shane Watson is Australia'a highest paid cricketer
Nice article. Good to put Rugby in a global context. Is Izzy be getting plenty from ARU endorsements - I don't see him anywhere else in the marketplace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.