• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
According to his player profile Leilua plays centre, wing and second row. Have to love the diverse positions a League player can play.

The Tahs definitely shouldn't touch him until he gets his head screwed on. You'd expect he'd head off to Super League in the UK. Maybe he needs to go to Japanese rugby to receive some discipline.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
Manuka oval nice spot, I would mind seeing a Brumbies match there sometime. even a trial.. doubt it will ever happen
I went to a couple of the ARC matches at Manuka. It was terrible compared to Bruce. The ground is bigger than the MCG so the field was a long way away, but the stands aren't very high to compensate, so the view was very average.

The location is good, except for the complete lack of parking.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
According to his player profile Leilua plays centre, wing and second row. Have to love the diverse positions a League player can play.

The Tahs definitely shouldn't touch him until he gets his head screwed on. You'd expect he'd head off to Super League in the UK. Maybe he needs to go to Japanese rugby to receive some discipline.
The Tahs would be convenient for him - same car park, cafe, pool and home ground as the Roosters.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Have been told that Drummoyne oval lights have been funded by IPL interests.

Our time zone is apparently attractive for the IPL TV interests. They don't give a toss that no one will be at the game, just that they can broadcast the games at a time to maximise sub-continent gambling opportunities.

The Dirty Reds may even be squeezed out of Drummoyne Oval by Honest John the Bookie and his mates.
The Wife advises the Sydney 6ers are playing a trial game at Drummoyne oval on Jan 2. Free entry. Well done on the scoop Hugh

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why do people keep insisting it's not about the money 'because he would've stayed in AFL'? He left AFL to play NRL and when they didn't workout went to rugby. He couldn't go back to AFL.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

fully agree - but there must be more to it: I dont think Wayne Bennett would have a bar of him if he thought there was an insurmountable dickhead issue

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Folau has signed with Sydney Uni, go figure. Good to see the NSW Rugby and ARU are trying to build rugby out west.
The reality is, he'll probably play few, if any games for them.
But I totally agree it makes no sense. It seems the ARU and NSWRU stay hands off in these decisions, but maybe they shouldn't. Then again, it opens a can of worms if they start dictating where players go to play club rugby sometimes, but not others.
It does seem like a big lost opportunity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
But I totally agree it makes no sense. It seems the ARU and NSWRU stay hands off in these decisions, but maybe they shouldn't. Then again, it opens a can of worms if they start dictating where players go to play club rugby sometimes, but not others.

Has there been a precedent of the ARU or a Super Franchise dictating which local club a player goes to?
I think the decision should be left with the player or it gets unmanageable.

T

TOCC

Why do people keep insisting it's not about the money 'because he would've stayed in AFL'? He left AFL to play NRL and when they didn't workout went to rugby. He couldn't go back to AFL.

Agree, I've got nothing against a player who chases money... But let's not buy into this "I felt like a challenge/change" bullshit..

If players called it as it was I would have more respect for them.. I make no secret of the fact I have moved jobs purely for the financial benefits.

T

TOCC

I think it would be completely understandable if the ARU intervened in the Israel situation and told him to play west.. Even if he didn't play, having him attend a couple of games/trainings would be a massive boost for the club.

The Shute Shield gains little by Israel playing at Sydney Uni, wasted opportunity..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Agree, I've got nothing against a player who chases money. But let's not buy into this "I felt like a challenge/change" bullshit..

If players called it as it was I would have more respect for them.. I make no secret of the fact I have moved jobs purely for the financial benefits.

The challenge he felt like setting for himself was to find the most lucrative contract that didn't involve playing AFL.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
We need to do something to support and encourage rugby players and supporters in the west (actually, Parramatta is the centre of Sydney, demographically). If he does not play for the Two Blues, all genuine rugby people should hang their heads in shame.

Some of the "league community" are rugby people at heart, and they will be delighted if he turns out for the Two Blues.

No doubt he should be playing and afiliated with either Parramatta or Penrith. We all know he won't play many games, but the idea of him going to Sydney Uni would confirm in many peoples minds the worst aspects of rugby.

I've said for years the the Waratahs should direct their contracted players to designated clubs. Local juniors should play for the club which developed them, genuine undergraduates to Uni and players with no prior afiliation to a Sydney club should be directed to the clubs with the most need.

All other codes seem to be trying to even out their competitions with drafts and salary caps, we're allowing ours to almost become a one horse race. Again NSWRU sits on its hands and does nothing.

Uni have been the dominant club in Sydney since 2005 and in that time the Waratahs and Wallabies have gone backwards, while most of our best young talent has gone through the Sydney Uni coaching system. We see on another thread the Cheika is having to teach these guys how to catch and pass.

They win club competitions because they have such an imbalance of the talent, but when these guys reach the next level, they're not properly equipped to dominate.

Evidence: rise of Uni dominance has conincided with decline of Waratahs to play coherent, running, entertaining and winning rugby.

Please send our talent elsewhere.

In the know I think.

Peter Burge (5)
No doubt he should be playing and afiliated with either Parramatta or Penrith. We all know he won't play many games, but the idea of him going to Sydney Uni would confirm in many peoples minds the worst aspects of rugby.

I've said for years the the Waratahs should direct their contracted players to designated clubs. Local juniors should play for the club which developed them, genuine undergraduates to Uni and players with no prior afiliation to a Sydney club should be directed to the clubs with the most need.

All other codes seem to be trying to even out their competitions with drafts and salary caps, we're allowing ours to almost become a one horse race. Again NSWRU sits on its hands and does nothing.

Uni have been the dominant club in Sydney since 2005 and in that time the Waratahs and Wallabies have gone backwards, while most of our best young talent has gone through the Sydney Uni coaching system. We see on another thread the Cheika is having to teach these guys how to catch and pass.

They win club competitions because they have such an imbalance of the talent, but when these guys reach the next level, they're not properly equipped to dominate.

Evidence: rise of Uni dominance has conincided with decline of Waratahs to play coherent, running, entertaining and winning rugby.

Please send our talent elsewhere.

I know for sure other clubs tried to contact both his management and NSW to make offers, I can go so far as to say these offers would have been more lucrative.
I know of one club that had very close to a money is no object approach.
No calls were returned no discussion entered into.
This confirms the rank stench from ARU and Warratahs.
They are the ones responsible for the demise of Shute Shield no one else.
This is a total disgrace and another in the long list missed opportunities to promote the game at club level.
Where did Hawker and Farr Jones play again?
I wholeheartedly applaud Sydney Uni for what they have built, I also know that on occassion they have helped lesser supported clubs with coaching etc and made no big deal about it, but this just forces the rest of the rugby community to be more and more offended by their presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.