• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tier 3.5 - An Alternative NRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It's both.
Watch and learn from the best, go back to club footy to learn how to implement it.
Crawl before you walk.
Walk before you run.

T

Train Without a Station

Barbarian, that's the perception.

But is it actually true?

Take Angus Scott-Young for example.

He's played the Super 20s, where he has played 5 games, and then the U20 WC where he's played another 4 games. Plus 2 warm up games against NZ.

So this year he's played about 11 games of elite U20s rugby.

He's played 5 games of NRC from what I recall. So 18 games so far, 5 of senior rugby.

He also played 6 club games. So in total he's played 22 games for 2016. If QCountry made the GF that would have been 25. 11 of those games have been against senior opposition.

A player that players Super Rugby all year, makes the GF and likewise for the NRC will play 27 games. A Bris Club player who plays all year, makes the GF and likewise for the NRC will play 30 games.

I don't know if he was injured meaning he wasn't available for any club games but it's not like he's just running around cones and doing gym work. He's played 22 games, 11 at senior level.

Perhaps he could have played more club rugby, but when you consider he's been heavily involved in 3 different competitions (Super 20s, Aus 20s and NRC) it is a pretty heavy load.

I'd be intrigued to see how many games Jordie Barrett played for Lincoln University for example. Is it more than 11 (Scott-Young's club games + Super 20s games)?

T

Train Without a Station

Is the Super 20s not going ahead next year?

Because Angus is born in 1997 so he will be eligible again I think.

But as BH said, he then becomes like Fereti Sa'aga who I played with in Melbourne this year.

Played Samoa 20s in 2014 and Aus 20s in 2015. In 2015 he also played NRC and Club Rugby for most of the season.

This year being too old he missed the start of the season only due to injury, was pulled from 2 games to play in the Rebels game vs the Hurricanes during the test break and then missed the end of the season and start of NRC due to injury.

But if not for injury, pending selection he would have played the full NRC, and a full club season excluding 2 games.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Like the NRC? Hate the NRC? Think Randwick should administer the game on a national (Sydney-only) scale like them good ole' days? Perth Pigs? Western who?

Alternatively, think Papworth should be sent to bunk with Ivan Denisovich in Siberia to atone for his crimes?

Theres a chance to provide feedback below:

Australian Rugby Fans! This is your chance to give your opinion about the 2016 and 2017 NRC competition.

I saw it on Reddit and I've since filled it out. When I tried to follow the link again to copy it to post here it sent me to another page as I've already submitted a response.

Hopefully the above link works, but if not go to /r/rugbyunion as its on the front page there.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Wasn't that what the TempletonvCup was all about prior to Super Rugby coming into being?

Don't think it would work at Super Rugby level as we have two teams that would essentially be replicas.

However, I do like it as a post-season NRC structure. With the NRC Baa Baas concept scrapped for this season and maybe beyond I think a tri-series with NSW, Qld and a Combined States team might work.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I do think it could work well as a pre Super Rugby or post Super Rugby season concept as agree not something mid Super Rugby season. And yes probably a NSW, QLD and Combined States. Pretty crowded calendar with end of year tours etc....but might be something in it. Agree would not work well in middle of Super Rugby.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think it's very gimmicky............

And likely confusing to the casual follower.

Edit: and now that you mention the crowded calendar, there's simply no time for it.

T

TOCC

I don't think it's a horrible idea, it wouldn't be an annual match, maybe alligning to the B&I Tour years..

But I also think the June inbound tours should be scrapped, they are the second worse thing to happen to Super Rugby besides expansion

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I don't think it's a horrible idea, it wouldn't be an annual match, maybe alligning to the B&I Tour years..

But I also think the June inbound tours should be scrapped, they are the second worse thing to happen to Super Rugby besides expansion
So when do we play England at home?

I agree with you about June tours but the money generated from it must be a huge portion of the ARU's revenue each year (10m?)

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I think it's very gimmicky....

And likely confusing to the casual follower.

Edit: and now that you mention the crowded calendar, there's simply no time for it.
Love that he starts by saying that Rugby needs some "new" ideas and the conclusion is a 36 year old idea copied from another code

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Pretty successful 36 year old concept from another code....Nothing wrong with adopting ideas from other codes that work.

Crowded calendar but concept might have merit and be financially viable. AFL state of origin series concept died along time ago so perhaps not guaranteed but possibly the concept could work. Is it a priority....probably not....

On an aside interview from Cheika shows excellent insights by MC on problems with rugby and for all sections to be more unified and stop eating each other. I do think this whole Papworth stuff has been useful but not in ways the Rebels probably thought. Rather the strength of public opinion showed people are sick of the infighting in different rugby factions and as MC talks about different factions need to work to compromises and work in a more unified fashion to support rugby at all levels.

As do agree probably the biggest thing that has probably stopped rugby moving forward is all the infighting and political sectionalism and inability to create a more unified support for our code.

Status
Not open for further replies.