• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Time to revamp cards to Yellow, Orange, Red ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I thought the Argentine half back should have gotten a red card for his stamping on AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) after the whistle. That was probably the only negative in Barnes' referring performance over the weekend

What was the severity of the incident? I haven't seen it

It's a pretty big 'negative' to miss a red card offence if one is waranted. A red card is the most serious sanction a ref can give and the gravity of the offence must be very severe, so if there was something on that scale and no red card was given then Barnes has made a significant error.

I think Barnes is one of the better refs going around.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it could have been a yellow but a red would have been overly harsh in my opinion.

Landajo stamped on Saia Fainga'a and Adam Ashley-Cooper's hands which were around the ball after the whistle had gone.

Barnes let him off with a warning. Landajo has been suspended for one match.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
He was suspended so that means the judiciary thought it warranted a red card.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He was suspended so that means the judiciary thought it warranted a red card.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Duty Judicial Officer Nigel Hampton QC (Quade Cooper) assessed the case.

In his finding, Hampton ruled the following:
"That this was a reckless attempt by Landajo to free up the ball in the back of the ruck, resulting in him making contact with his boot on the hands of two Australian players. This was a lower end offence and, given the early guilty plea, Landajo’s contrition and his good playing record, appropriately could be dealt with by a one week suspension."

Personally I think the one week suspension is fine but I also think a yellow card in this incident would have also been a good outcome.

I accept that this differs from the IRB/SANZAR process however I think that it wouldn't be a bad outcome that an offence can be correctly ruled a yellow card at the time and still warrant a suspension.

My general thoughts on red card offences are that they should be fairly obvious that they will result in a suspension and hence warrant a red card on the spot.

A yellow card could easily result in a suspension but it will probably be on the lighter end of the scale if there is one and the referee isn't certain of that outcome at the time.

Where possible I think that there should be some parity between the punishment during the game and the suspension afterwards. A red card in a game and a 1-2 match suspension would seem to me to be a heftier punishment for the team from the card than the suspension.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think it could have been a yellow but a red would have been overly harsh in my opinion.

Landajo stamped on Saia Fainga'a and Adam Ashley-Cooper's hands which were around the ball after the whistle had gone.

Barnes let him off with a warning. Landajo has been suspended for one match.
It deserved more than a yellow but less than a red - an orange perhaps and 15 mins in the bin.

rugbyscribe

Herbert Moran (7)
Whatever happened to the White card that was being used in Super 15 in 2012 or 2011. I can't recall seeing one used in 2013?

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
Whatever happened to the White card that was being used in Super 15 in 2012 or 2011. I can't recall seeing one used in 2013?

Think there's no use for them because refs can consult TMOs over foul play now. No need to look at them later. The white card was the most idiotic thing anyone could come up with anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.