• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Too many penalty goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Karl, you've read my mind. I have long been a fan of abolishing the penalty goal in favour of 5 minute sin bins for second infringements or infringements in the opposition 22. Teams would stop infringing because they could drop down to 14 or even less players when defending the goal line. The only scoring play in my model would be tries or drop goals (reduced to 1 point, but thats another story...). Hence we would see games full of frantic attack and desperation defence.

What a spectacle that would be.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Is Australia the only rugby playing country to regularly complain about these kinds of things?

I think our culture is too ingrained with rugby league...

You know Slim, I was going to say much the same thing.

To support the League hypothesis, most of my (mainly) AFL watching mates don't mind watching kick heavy Rugby games. So I don't think its an exclusively 'Australian' thing, but more from the League states; which just happens to be the heartland of Rugby too.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Karl, you've read my mind. I have long been a fan of abolishing the penalty goal in favour of 5 minute sin bins for second infringements or infringements in the opposition 22. Teams would stop infringing because they could drop down to 14 or even less players when defending the goal line. The only scoring play in my model would be tries or drop goals (reduced to 1 point, but thats another story...). Hence we would see games full of frantic attack and desperation defence.

What a spectacle that would be.

Yeah, it would be great as the teams are reduced to 13 players, creating a bit of extra room for running rugby to occur... (dammit, where's the fishing emote gone?)

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
ffs only in australia do we have this mindset that it is a sin to do anything but run the ball and penaltys are an abomination, like we need it to justify our game to RL fans. The rest of the world get on fine with penalties, the points system and a territorial style of game, thus nothing will change. wtf's so hard with accepting that.

S

spooony

Penalties are not as a result of the referee's application but due to the players' application of discipline and respect for the game and it's laws in playing a game. The more they infringe, the more their team will suffer.

S

spooony

Not true, statistically certain referees blow more penalties than others.
Because some let it flow and let certain things go. But that does not mean the players still abide by the law. No just that they get more lean way in committing transgressions.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think McQueen had an experiment in Africa???
Try 5 Conversions 3 = 8
Penalty 2
Drop Goal 2
Was that right, did anyone hear how that went?

S

spooony

Wow penalties is 2 points. Lets give them away rather than 8. How do you think it will go?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I would like to see teams who score the most tries ussually win games, and then also reduce the amount of penalty goals. This topic has been discussed for years, so obviously a difficult of interst with a difficult resolution.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
One way to encourage more tries would be to make each try after the first worth increasingly more. So 5 points for 1st, 6 for 2nd, 7 for 3rd (all before conversion) etc. But it would probably be considered too complicated to sell the game to new markets.

Also tries and penalties are a vicious circle the more a try is worth relative to penalties the more incentive to concede penalties instead of tries.

The balance at the moment I think is pretty good. The only way there will be less penalties given is either players stop infringing or refs are softer. Players are always going to cheat if they think they can get away with it or if doing so benefits their team. I think my signature is relevant here.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
This happens every year in some form.

We want teams to play clean, stay on their feet and come through the gate.

The refs smack everyone around the head for two or threes rounds and then the teams learn and the rugby opens up.

Hopefully they add the offside line as well, hindmost foot is ignored most of the time

S

spooony

Why were ther so many tries scored between 99 and 2001 in the Super 12? Even in the test matches? Then suddenly they changed the rules because of it and now we are here complaining about not enough tries being scored.

If you recycle and recycle you end up with fewer attackers than defenders because generally you need four blokes to win the ball and three to contest it.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I'd just like to point out that despite my belief that the scoring is fine & there is no need to implement anything else, seems to be alot of view above that penalties should be decreased in value to reduce...

I'm no rocket scientist, but I actually thought if you were to increase the value of penalties, the number of penalties would reduce...

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think the point is a lot of people would rather see less attempts at penalty goal rather than necessarily less penalties. That way the team receiving the penalty is more inclined to go for touch/scrum/tap than the sticks

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think the point is a lot of people would rather see less attempts at penalty goal rather than necessarily less penalties. That way the team receiving the penalty is more inclined to go for touch/scrum/tap than the sticks

Maybe rugby league is more the game for them?

I would prefer rugby to continue being a multifaceted sport...

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Reducing the opportunity to bog games down with penalty kicks is hardly going to suddenly make Union into League or change the characteristics of the game. It'll hopefully punish infractions at the breakdown and scrum in a way that makes them less common and permits the game to keep flowing. That's really what I think needs to be the goal. Why is it acceptable for the first 3 rounds of Super Rugby to be an infraction filled, penalty ridden kick fest? And they need to do something to fix the damn variability in referee interpretation and consistency of application. They miss too much because one man can't hope to see everything going on at a breakdown or in a scrum, and that's why the players push right up to and over the line so much - there's a fair chance you won't get pinged and if he's pinging everything, then the other side will get pinged as well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What makes you think it will be a better game if players are sinbinned more frequently and basic overlap tries are scored because the defence is down on numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.