• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC 2016: Matches not involving Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Fucks sake.
  • 9 tries to nil.
  • 69% possession.
  • 76% territory, what a joke.
  • Record score and margin against SA.
A perfect 30 points from 30 in the championship. 36 to 5 tries.

Equal tier-one win record.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I have to say game of two halves. The ABs look poor and messy (almost flustered) in the first half but got their act together in the second.

I hope that is the last we see of the Bok kicking game stupidity.

Squire gets one after the siren so Sopoaga from the sideline for the record. Gets it! FT 57-15 & AB have re-equaled (it's a word, OK) the Tier 1 record for most consecutive Test wins. Sorry Straya, you just might get to be the answer to the future pub sports trivia question "who did the All Blacks beat to record their 18th consecutive Test victory in 2016?"

Was that 10 tries or 9? Lost count towards the end they were coming so fast...

Yeah, I have a feeling we will get owned!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I have to say that was a pretty comprehensive display, I know in first half the Bokke were hanging on, but it was what it felt like what they were doing,just hanging on. That second half was rugby played to a pretty hight standard I thought, skill level was breathtaking at times. Agree have to think Brodie was MOTM, but there were a lot of good players out there. I had actually said to wife in first half we were missing Cruden a bit, thought BB was not right on top of game in first half (and I not talking about kicking) , but he looked ok in second. By geez ALB is making hard to drop him from team but somehow suspect that Shag will give him a break, he seems to like to not overdue the young fellas, and lets them find their way with a break every now and then.
All in all a pretty satisfying performance!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Actually quite interesting, but just watching a bit of the replay and my wife made comment that the All Blacks look like they believe in what they are doing so much. Begs the question am I letting her watch too much rugby if she starting to make such intelligent remarks;). Still it good to have something we can agree on:).

G

galumay

What a sublime performance by the AB's, rarely is such a one sided game so entertaining. The try at about the 60 minute mark was one for the archives, skills, accuracy and execution at the highest level.

SA played the same as they did to fluke an undeserved win against the Wallabies - and got utterly and deservedly spanked. Playing a game based on foregoing any attempt at scoring tries with the intention of scoring more points than the opposition through penalties and drop goals is the definition of stupid.

SA would be more likely to win a game of AFL than rugby at the moment.

The AB's should be very happy that they were able to retain their structure and intensity right to the end, very easy to lose intent when you are so dominant

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
^^^^^^^^^^ 28 point final quarter, too. I'm starting to agree with the idea that Bokke rugby as I've known it all my life is no more & I'm a bit saddened by that.

Many years ago, a poster on another list I subscribed to wrote a post he titled cry of the boeing. It described the many issues facing South African rugby and how little by little the parts of the whole machine were being stripped, broken or eroded, and eventually the whole would cease to function.

Basically our problems start from the very bottom levels with many coaches stuck in old mentalities, stubbornly sticking to the idea that South Africans have a natural right to be good at rugby and they don't need to listen to new ideas. Even if some do try new ideas, fans are intolerant and don't accept losses easily.

I could describe many things, including the loss of parent involvement teaching and coaching, right up to the lure of foreign currency due to the weakness of the Rand.

PaarlBok will continue to blame picking chicken runners as the source of all our problems, but he is focusing on a symptom, not a cause. He believes you can simply reverse that by refusing to pick overseas players. I'm afraid, that isn't going to help. Life isn't as simple as the old days. Players are not part time with decent jobs to go to once they're done. They never know when they will be done. The lure of cash is just going to speak too loud.

South African rugby has been in decline over many years, with ups and downs. The evidence is there, forget the nostalgic stuff and ridiculous notion that because we were once great we somehow have an innate rugby ability or right to continue to be great. So, maybe next year will be a good year, who knows, but the trend is still down.

There may be ways out, but it requires firstly acceptance and then people stepping out of their comfort zones. It requires sacrifice for many years, sacrifice of results and lots of hard work, to focus from the ground up. We have a huge population, untapped, we should focus on creating an environment right from grassroots that gets rugby balls into hands, gets kids trying new things, and creates intense competition and desire to play.

Personally, these days, I watch mostly amateur club rugby. I must be a chicken runner fan because I find it more enjoyable than the pro game.

G

galumay

Mank, SA is not alone, although the problems are different, Australia faces huge challenges also.

Our biggest issue is a tiny player base and competition for the best athletes from 3 other major football codes, all more popular and better financed than rugby.

Just watching the NRC compared to the Mitre 10 cup exposes the depth of the problem - both the massive gulf in skills and ability and one with 20 relatives and 2 dogs watching most games compared to whole communities at the other.

Like SA there are issues at the grass roots and schoolboys/junior level that impact all the way up thru NRC, Super rugby and the Wallabies.

In reality there is very little between SA, Pumas & Wobblies this year, NZ are at a whole different level by a massive magnitude - if the number 2 is between the SA and Wallabies team that played that painful game last week then number 1 is safe for the forseeable future!

The irony is that SA would have done better by just running out the entire Lions side, with their coach - proabably would have clean swept the Wobblies and Pumas!!

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
"Bok rugby is dead etc etc" but that match was only 22-15 with 3/4's of the game gone

NZ looked a bit piecemeal up til then. Stuck to the game plan fairly well though.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
"Bok rugby is dead etc etc" but that match was only 22-15 with 3/4's of the game gone

NZ looked a bit piecemeal up til then. Stuck to the game plan fairly well though.

'Dead' is a little dramatic but I don't think SA were ever in that game. They didn't even get close to scoring a try and what's worse, they didn't even try. I think they literally entered the 22 once, maybe twice. The AB's tallied 2 missed tackles the entire game, SA were that ineffective. They're not dead yet but if they continue to play like the zombies they were that game, it won't be long. Purely a coaching/tactics let down.

Do you not know the AB's MO by now? They've been doing it for the last couple of years. "Piecemeal" until the other side starts getting tired, then it's like a fat kid on cake. Feasting session.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
The All Blacks played the last 20 like they had turned on a cheat mode in a video game. Retallick looked like he had been given a nod to turn on the the awesome.

On another day Barrett's kicking would have been an issue.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
^^^^^^^^^^ 28 point final quarter, too. I'm starting to agree with the idea that Bokke rugby as I've known it all my life is no more & I'm a bit saddened by that.

I know what you say, but I'd think it is Coetze returning to exactly the game you (we all) knew ages ago. Better targeted at Loftus, and overall a complete regression that was going to be hard to back away from and never going to work against the ABs.

Boks have a long way to climb now, if anything they are further behind than when they started the RC.

Status
Not open for further replies.