• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC 2016: Matches not involving Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I not sure why anyone harps on about Brial incident, it was the case of a soft player trying to be the hard man and didn't work. Personally I would of banned Lowe for a long time with some of his acts, but unlike you Gnostic and most of this bored I have never even seen the Meads incidents that he should of been banned for, even on tv! I must admit to have talked to a couple of players that played against him who reckon he was a hard bastard, but they seem to say they didn't consider him dirty, mind you rugby even when I played in 70s was a pretty hard (maybe dirty) game compared to these days.
Same as bringing up the Franks incident, didn't the Douglas call it bullshit? Man next we will be calling for Douglas' head for kneeing the Pumas No 9 last night!!

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
Dude, you're the one who came in like Helen Lovejoy - you don't get to accuse others of squealing after paragraphs of whiny bitching and hyperbole.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I quite amused the ABs are the only team that blow penalties in defence, I will ask anyone in here to rewatch the Wallaby/Bok test, and tell me how many times the Boks got in the Wallabies 22 when the Wallabies didn't give away a penalty, and take my word for it you won't need more than one hand and you will have spare fingers!!! Most teams give away penalties in defence, because that is when they desperate and really push the offside line to stop opposites!!

And I am not defending it it by any means, just stating a fact!

You wouldn't even need the whole hand to count since they (Bok) got into the 22 on about two phases in the second half.

Again the only defence is the "oh but you do...."

It is a pity that we have to have this argument after every AB test where the opposition manages to put on a good showing, because there is no doubt whatsoever that they have the best attack in the world and have for a long time. The other parts of the game, yeah right. Funny when the Super Rugby is on many NZ supporters whinge about the Crusaders getting away with very similar cynical penalties on defence. It just changes and gets applauded as great play when the shirt colour changes.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
You wouldn't even need the whole hand to count since they (Bok) got into the 22 on about two phases in the second half.

Again the only defence is the "oh but you do.."

Your entire argument is "The AB's are a bunch of cheats" so pointing out that other teams aren't exactly lily white is a perfectly valid response.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Go and have a look at the incident that actually started that feud. I doubt you will regard it as anything though.

Happened in 1992, didn't it? The punch-up was in '96. So we should excuse Brial for being a monumental cockhead in 1996 because Bunce was one in 1992? As for Loe I think you'll go a long way to find anyone on here who doesn't think the elbow to Carozza's face was a straight Red & gone for the rest of the season & maybe part of the next.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...D74A3CA50937D7088BF8D74A3CA50937D70&FORM=VIRE

Can't remember when but is was years between the incidents and yes Brial is a dick, and an ineffectual one and it doesn't excuse his attacking Bunce as he did, but you will find it was the next time he played him and the very first instance he got a chance to belt him and he took it. I re-iterate it doesn't excuse it and it doesn't excuse Bunce either though.

In any event just have a look at the penalty counts in games V the ABs where teams actually manage to dominate a bit and get into the ABs 22.

It is something that no ABs fan I have ever spoken want to admit so I don't expect you will either. There is plenty of other evidence of their training to cheat but that has been strongly disputed as well only by AB fans again.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Might be time for rule 10 on NZL cynical infringing. Both sides of the argument have had their say, and as happened the last time, neither party is prepared to budge too much from their view.

Good to see that there were no lasers.

Now if Los Pumas can stop the Hollywood dives... ... ... They are much better footballers than needing to resort to that sort of mummy's boy play acting.

Rugby - 80 minutes of pretending not to be injured.
Soccer - 90 minutes of pretending to be injured.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
We play the refs. No doubt. We just do it better than other sides.
We'll keep doing as close to the edge as possible.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Again the only defence is the "oh but you do.."

It is a pity that we have to have this argument after every AB test where the opposition manages to put on a good showing, because there is no doubt whatsoever that they have the best attack in the world and have for a long time. The other parts of the game, yeah right. Funny when the Super Rugby is on many NZ supporters whinge about the Crusaders getting away with very similar cynical penalties on defence. It just changes and gets applauded as great play when the shirt colour changes.
Mate I not excusing anything, just perhaps suggesting you look at all games, but I repeat, you tell me how many times the Bok got into the Wallabies 223 and the Wallabies didn't throw a cynical penalty!! I don't think teams actually are a lot worse in their own 22s, I do think refs tend to watch defensive team more in that situation. For you to come up with ridiculous statement the ABs are coached to do it is just stupidity. I think the ABs could of been pinged even more (Wallabies etc etc too) if the strict letter of the law on offside was enforced all the time!! The fact is it is not!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Rugby - 80 minutes of pretending not to be injured.
Soccer - 90 minutes of pretending to be injured.

Absolutely. One of the things my dad always emphasised (in addition to always having your socks pulled up and jumper tucked in) was never to let the other team know that they hurt you. Always get up and keep playing and go down at the next stoppage if you really have to.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Absolutely. One of the things my dad always emphasised (in addition to always having your socks pulled up and jumper tucked in) was never to let the other team know that they hurt you. Always get up and keep playing and go down at the next stoppage if you really have to.

And there is a good bit of fatherly advice QH!!!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I notice you then selectively throw up Franks' 80+ tests as proof he is such a great bloke, but..... I also think the treatment of Stuart Dickenson at the hands of Paddy Obrien plays into the thoughts of referees not wanting to make any controversial calls against the ABs because your career will be F^%$# after that.

You called Franks 'scum'. He's played 80+ Tests and has not got any kind of history or reputation as being a grub or being dirty and even in this latest controversy, Kane Douglas himself says he didn't think it was that bad.

If that is what qualifies as 'scum' then clean get the Jiff out and go thru your own Wallaby team before looking at the ABs. You talk about the ABs conceding scrum penalties - how many scrum penalities did the Wallabies give away at the end of that game this morning? And the ABs were trying to scrum with one less player! The Wallaby scrum has ben the most 'cynical' scrum in the last 10 years by those standards.

FFS - Paddy O'Brien isn't even the refs boss anymore. You grasping at fucking straws. Last I remember, it was your coach who was trying to influence coaches at half-time.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Probably best to let it go - I don't think anyone will find any common ground in this one. It's only likely to escalate.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
I'll dip my toe into this one.

I must admit I didn't get to see much of the game as I was at work this morning, HOWEVER, from what I did see..

The AB's do push the offside line with rush up defense, though barely more than any other team using the same tactic. This particular aspect, more than anything, is COMPLETELY dependent on how lenient the ref is, as it should be easy to officiate. I don't think the AB's are significantly worse than other teams. You can only play the whistle.

One thing the AB's are clearly guilty of though, entry into rucks. Today they basically entered from any angle covering 180 degrees and got away with it. Some of it was embarrassing.

As for yellow cards, meh! It's tough to compare, and honestly, the opposition aren't exactly camping much in the AB's 22 at the moment. I don't know. They have almost the same penalty/yc count as Australia but I don't think you can compare.

I've lost the point of why I'm posting, perhaps proving this is pointless. To sum up, I reckon the AB's probably do get some beneficial calls at the moment, perhaps subconsciously favouring a dominant team (think Man Utd back in the day). Certainly not to the extent of conspiracy you drama queens. Also, let go of the Franks thing, if Douglas didn't have a problem, then that's it.

It's kind of nice as an AB fan at the moment, we literally have nothing to talk about rugby wise as there's nothing to complain about, no selections to argue over. Just the wormhole that is refs. Most enjoyable :)

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Probably best to let it go - I don't think anyone will find any common ground in this one. It's only likely to escalate.

Come on cyclo, don't cheat us out of a cheating All Blacks discussion. I'll feel extremely cheated if it is cut short before McCaw is mentioned and I haven't retorted with a George Smith cheated his way to greatness with one knee on the ground.....

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^Dominant teams always seem to get the rub of the green. They're generally in possession longer than their opponents, the are generally moving forward and they take the initiative because they know that most referees aren't going to whistle every infringement.

Status
Not open for further replies.