• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tri Nations Game 6 - Wallabies vs All Blacks - Saturday 27 August 2011 - 3N2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
For me it's exciting to think about our potential bench at the world cup.

Last night was a great performance, but I thought our physicality went down for a period of the second half . The guys seemed to lift again when we hit the lead, and brought on some of the subs. The match really demonstrated how important it is for us to dominate in the tackle and be physical. Some of our guys just couldn’t keep that intensity up for 80 minutes so impact from the bench will be crucial later this year.

Luke Burgess, despite very little game time in the last 2 months, looked sharp and whilst he wasn't out there for long, I felt comfortable watching him come out and take over with 10 to go, a role that he is perfectly suited for, despite his imperfections.

Simo again showed he is BMT, despite his age...I think in the crunch games, Deans might be tempted to go with Vicks of Sharpe on the bench, depending on which one of those is to start. It's been interesting to watch the tussle for position between the wallabies locks over the last month, and in my view the pecking order now reads Horwill / Vickerman / Sharpe / Simo. So I think Sharpe would be my 18 for finals at the world cup. He’s experienced, can run the lineout and can easily play 80 minutes.

Neither Mafu nor Fainga'a got much time, but I was glad to see that Deans had enough faith to send them out there with the game in the balance. This is an area we can really amp up for the WC. TPN should be our 16. I’m excited about see him come onto the field with 25 minutes to go. He’s a he tackler, strong scrummager and is one of the few wallabies who has an outstanding pick n drive…exactly the kinda guy we need if we are trying to grind out a win late in the game. Slipper is another player who should be on the bench (if not on the field) I think Alexander has done well in the tri-nation so id keep Slipper on the bench for now. He’s another player that can go on for 80 minutes if we need him and offer much more around the field than Maafu.

The backrow is the interesting one. I liked the combination we played last night. Elsom/Samo/Pocock is the perfect combo for the first 40 minutes of the game. Samo obviously samo cant last 80 minutes…but Elsom can. I really like the idea of using Higgers off the bench at the world cup. He suits us well, because he can play 80 minutes and can cover both samo and pocock. So Higgers is my 19. With higgers there Dean could play a 4:3 split, but I think Deans is fully aware that, given the way the world cup will be played, a 5:2 is a better use of the bench. Last night is a good example of only 1 of the 2 back were used (and only due to injury to Genia, and all 5 forwards were needed). One of the wallabies strengths is the versatility amongst our backline players. McCabe/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Barnes/Beale/O’Connor are all versatile, so 1 outside/inside back can sufficiently cover our back. Worst case scenario, Higger move to centre. So I think an extra forward on the bench suits us better than having an extra back….Deans seems to see McCalman can act as a cover for 8/7/6 Not sure is really a true 6, but I did see him make one steal with pocock last night so he has his worth. But for me he continues to be a workhorse without being a warhorse. Last night he didn’t relly go out and put on any big hits in his first 15 minutes (the likes of which we had seen from Vicks/Elsom & Samo when they were fresh early in the game). What I’m trying to say is, I have no problem with McCalman on the bench but I think we could try for more impact by perhaps playing Palu off the bench. With Higgers also on the bench, you don’t have to worry about being forced to play palu for 80 minutes. If there’s an early injury to Samo, replace him with Higgers. If not, We’ll be able to replace Elsom and Samo with Higgers and Palu with 20 minutes to go in the game. That could definitely help shift momentum in our favour.

The most difficult position is no.22 I think this is a position which will change in most games. Of all our players there are a few that are probably best suited to this role….AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is very versatile, covering 11, 13, 14, 15. Barnes covers 10, 12, 15 & O’Connor covers 10, 11, 12, 14, 15. If oconnor is going to be kicker itll probably mean that he’ll be starting on the wing. Fainga'a/Horne/Mitchell all offer something different

So in my view our bench for the big games at the world cup should be

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Sharpe
18. Higgers
19. Palu
22. Burgess
21. Any of Barnes/Fainga'a/Mitchell/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

I cant recall ever seeing a better wallabies bench

U

undercoverkiwi

The number wasn't really an issue, more to do with they weren't going to go into the WC having not won a game. They always pull out those type of desperate performances when under the pump. 53-8 in 2008. 49-33? Pretoria in 2010 and against England on the EOYT and now this one in PE. They play inspired rugby, I'm fairly sure a full strength AB side would not have done much better.

What a load of nonsense.

U

undercoverkiwi

or the boks could have won their two test matches in Australia and New Zealand if they had sent there best players...

oh shit this could just keep going on and on

Well, quite, but the fact remains, and I'm really not trying to take anything away from what the Wallabies achieved last night in playing a superb game of rugby, the Wallabies were the only team that contested the 3N at full strength. And at the end of 2011 no-one's really going to care about who won the 3N. The World Cup has, to a degree, reduced the 3N in a RWC year to a series of very tough warm-up games. Which I think is a shame.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Simo again showed he is BMT, despite his age...I think in the crunch games, Deans might be tempted to go with Vicks of Sharpe on the bench, depending on which one of those is to start.

BDA, WTF TLA is BMT?

A

antipodean

Well first and foremost that was a brilliant first half by the Wallabies; dominant, aggressive and well executed. They forced the All Blacks into errors or poor options. Great comeback in the second half by the Blackness only to be denied by yet another piece of Genia brilliance.

Deserved winners on the night and the Tri Nations.

kiwi playing in Oz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Can someone tell me what Q.Cooper's obsession is trying to injure McCaw in almost all the recent test matches? The little shit needs to learn some respect and grow up! FFS! I remember years ago when those tactics were used by an AB Mr Loe. The game has moved on from that shit in Union. Someone tell Cooper that!

T

TOCC

Well, quite, but the fact remains, and I'm really not trying to take anything away from what the Wallabies achieved last night in playing a superb game of rugby, the Wallabies were the only team that contested the 3N at full strength. And at the end of 2011 no-one's really going to care about who won the 3N. The World Cup has, to a degree, reduced the 3N in a RWC year to a series of very tough warm-up games. Which I think is a shame.

At the end of the day, the Wallabies beat a full-strength All Blacks and Springboks team... thats all that matters leading into the RWC...

the bird cage has been rattled

T

TOCC

Can someone tell me what Q.Cooper's obsession is trying to injure McCaw in almost all the recent test matches? The little shit needs to learn some respect and grow up! FFS! I remember years ago when those tactics were used by an AB Mr Loe. The game has moved on from that shit in Union. Someone tell Cooper that!

Richie McCaw should show respect to Quade, in the last 2 years, Quade has a 75% winning rate over Richie...

Richie should be careful not to put his head in the way of Sir Quades knee in the future...

M

Mojoman

Disappointed @ the loss but I also subscribe to the theory that @ least there will be no complacency come RWC time for the AB's. As Dean said, the Wallabies learnt from the Eden Park loss this year and this loss will have the same effect on the AB's.

What I liked about the Wallabies was the "starch" in their play and IMO it's from introducing the likes of Vickerman and Samo plus making Horwill captain, a good decision by Deans.

The problems I see with the Wallabies going into the RWC is that (A) Their record away from home is appalling (B) If they do make the final, unfortunately for them it won't be at Suncorp Stadium or Olympic Stadium in Syd. If it were they would be favourites in my book.

One thing I do hope is that both the Wallabies and AB's make it through to the final @ Eden Park. Now that would be a massive game.

Status
Not open for further replies.