• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tri Nations Game 6 - Wallabies vs All Blacks - Saturday 27 August 2011 - 3N2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
How good were Samo and Vicks. Can't wait for Palu to come on for Samo to keep the large 8 action happening. Vickerman was amped before the game and bashed the crap out of plenty. Will be awesome if he still has some fitness gains in him.

F

Fredfreduels

Backline for the world cup???????

My guess would be:

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. McCabe
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. JOC (James O'Connor) (I know I know, but he is our kicker and a great player)
15. Beale

20. Burgess
21. Barnes or Mitchell
22. A finger

__PJ

Bob McCowan (2)
Got an awful sense of deja vu in the second half, how many times have we seen the Wallabies go to sleep in teh second half while leading and wake up with the game lost.

Sorry for my multi-posting newsiness, but I agree with thee. How can the Wallabies so completely dominate the first 40, particularly in defence, then come out like meek lambs for the next 25-odd? It's not just annoying to watch, it's annoying to 'feel'.

I'm tiring of the Wallabies 'learning from their mistakes', but hopefully they learn a great deal from that complete turnaround.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Well done OZ, outstanding physicality in the first half.

Good D to close it out.

I think Palu will be up against it to get into the side now.

F

Fredfreduels

Sorry for my multi-posting newsiness, but I agree with thee. How can the Wallabies so completely dominate the first 40, particularly in defence, then come out like meek lambs for the next 25-odd? It's not just annoying to watch, it's annoying to 'feel'.

I'm tiring of the Wallabies 'learning from their mistakes', but hopefully they learn a great deal from that complete turnaround.

Players get tired.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
My thoughts on the game (in easy to read dot point format):

-Wayne Barnes did a pretty good job, he's missed some things, but he's miles ahead of all the other refs bar mark lawrence.
-Lineout was shithouse. But so was the restart a few weeks ago, nothing a bit of practise cant fix.
-Second row selections are now pretty clear in my mind. Horwill and vickerman to start, with sharpe to replace vicks for the last 30. If we are playing the springboks I would start sharpe and have vicks on the bench.
-I'd like to see more of pocock as first receiver, every time they went with that play it worked out well.
-We have to remember Kaino wasn't playing, and he is consistently the all blacks best forward, and the best blind flanker in the world.
-Backline balance was right tonight, for the first time this year.
-Substitutions got us over the line, great to see deans is finally catching on.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Great interview piece with Brad Thorn; roughly:

Kafer: "It got pretty down and dirty and scrappy in the second half Brad"
Thorne: "Mate, for a guy like me it's a dream come true. Unfortunately the backs don't see it that way"

Great bloke.

Then he should tell them to get bent. Because when the ABs played Cantab/Bokball - as they should have, in the conditions - they tore back into it. They threw it away by throwing the ball around against Australia in the wet. Which is dumb. Even the last lineout - secure possession, just in the Wob half, perfect to maul up, punch a hole, suck in defenders while making ground and maybe get a penalty to wash/rinse/repeat in the corner. But instead, they go off the top from the middle, leaving the oppo back row free and sixty yards to make. Dumb from the Lions 2005, dumb from the Boks in Durban, dumb from the ABs now.

Well done, lads; you played your game, they didn't play the right game to stop you, and you made hay enough to get home. However, your setpieces are vulnerable; and, bizarrely, NH teams automatically play the right game against you. It'll be interesting. Still, that's for the future; right now, you deserved it, so enjoy it.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)

Changed focus of attack. Instead of going wide, which you can defend excellently - Two-Dads in particular - they went close, punched holes, attacked set-pieces, dragged you into grim, relentless arm-wrestles; NH rugby. You don't play it well.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Awesome effort boys.

Great things from tonight-

* Samo to 8 for good. So freaking obvious we need him there.
* We could easily play McCabe and Fainga'a at 12/13 through the worldcup. Nice to know we have options if a backline star goes down.
* Vicks was the hot sauce we need in the pack.
* Sharpe to replace Simmons on the bench. We could drag him on if the lineout is flailing and young Simmons gives away silly penalties. His chance wil come.
* Great lesson for JOC (James O'Connor) here tonight, that's two photos he has missed now, the team one and the one of him holding up the tri-nations cup

F

François

How good was Genia ? Samo was godlike at times with his two breaks but in my opinion, if we have to single out the one individual who had the biggest impact, I think it's gotta be Genia.. He set up a try, scored one, and in general offered great directions, made the right choices. What else can you expect from him ? I'd give him a 10, as in legendary performance. He was the most instrumental player in winning a Tri Nation final, ending a 10 year drought. That's a 10. Without him the Wallabies wouldn't be the team it is nowadays.

Chauncey

Peter Burge (5)
A tale of two halves...

Great win ......

But 2 observations -

1. WHY do we NOT compete at the lineout? We have all that tall timber in the forwards and not once did we even jump on the AB's throw. They had free reign at every single one of their lineouts- ie zero pressure . When it was our throw they gave us NO such luxury. Please explain?????

2. We still have NO answer to their pick and drive. When they decided to keep it tight in the 2nd half they seemed to march it up field at will. I don't know whether that was because our forwards were taking a rest after the first half or the AB forwards were just too good.

I hope we can sort it out come the tight ones in the RWC

Congrats to the guys for the win which was well and truly set up in the first half. As is often our way, we let them back into the game and if they had started to get it together 10 mins earlier a think we may have been looking at a different result.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To all those who doubted Vickers.

What's your poison? Hat or humble pie?
all-black-2011-cap.gif
humblepie2.gif

W

Wato

We needed the AB's to do the haka again at the start of the second half. seemed to fire our boys up from the kick off. the look in Vickerman's eyes was briliant.

__PJ

Bob McCowan (2)
Players get tired.

Huh? They were tackling like monsters then had a 10 minute rest.

...stufff...dumb from the Lions 2005, dumb from the Boks in Durban, dumb from the ABs now...stuff

Very much agree with this. I was astonished when the 'boks opted against a maul in the last 30-odd seconds of the last match.

Changed focus of attack. Instead of going wide, which you can defend excellently - Two-Dads in particular - they went close, punched holes, attacked set-pieces, dragged you into grim, relentless arm-wrestles; NH rugby. You don't play it well.

Semi-agree. Yes that's what the Kiwis did, because they were permitted to. There was no semblance of the Aus defence from the first 40.

Awesome effort boys.

Great things from tonight-

* Samo to 8 for good. So freaking obvious we need him there.
* We could easily play McCabe and Fainga'a at 12/13 through the worldcup. Nice to know we have options if a backline star goes down.
* Vicks was the hot sauce we need in the pack.
* Sharpe to replace Simmons on the bench. We could drag him on if the lineout is flailing and young Simmons gives away silly penalties. His chance wil come.
* Great lesson for JOC (James O'Connor) here tonight, that's two photos he has missed now, the team one and the one of him holding up the tri-nations cup

Yes; yes; yes; yes and...yes!

Status
Not open for further replies.