• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Trial: Reds v Rebels - Friday 14 February 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
the last hit out before the real stuff starts.

Should be a fascinating game. The Rebels are buoyant after two trial wins. The Reds put in a good one v a weakened Chiefs team so need to produce again to ensure they roll into their first game v the Brumbies confident. Our record in Canberra is dire, so its a massive start for Graham and his team.

For the Reds Ant Fainga'a is back apparently, likely to replace Kerevi in the squad. Haven't heard about whether Hanson will be back. Hopefully. No other injury concerns for the Reds apparently. How about the Rebels?

Reactions: BDA
T

tranquility

Who is the third hooker at the moment.. Anae still? Or is one of the youngsters from the U20s

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Anyone know how ticket sales are going for this one? Would think this being the only Ballymore game for the year it'd sell out before kickoff.

I know its just a trial but really looking forward to this. The Rebels young squad have played well by all accounts in the first couple of trials but how they fare against a team who've been a benchmark in the Australian conference will be interesting.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anae is the third hooker.

It isn't a sell out and won't be. I reckon it will be around 5k max to be honest.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
As I happen to be in QLD at the time I'll be at this one, I get the feeling I'll be the only guy on the hill in rebels merch and expect the odd well meaning spray of warm foamy xxxx gold heading my way. I'm a born and bred expat QLDer with plenty of memories supporting the reds at ballymore and have love for both teams but I figure I should rep my new team as they won't have much support there.

As for the rebels, Stirzacker is out for 4-6 weeks, Chris Thompson (reserve lock) indefinitely and Shota Horie probably won't be playing as he'll have only just arrived in Melbourne after the Japanese top league grand final today. Otherwise everyone is fit I believe.

I expect the reds to get up of course but the rebels to be far more competitive than normal, particularly in the forwards where I think they have a noticeable size advantage and have been very strong in the scrum in the last two trials against solid opposition, mostly thanks to Smith and Lahiff. The rebels lineout could be an issue though as Pat Leafa's throwing hasn't been solid there. The QLD backs are generally a class above though and will probably be the difference but I'm hoping Ellison gets more of a run this week at 13 for the rebels.

Either way it will be great just to be back at ballymore after quite some time.

T

tranquility

It isn't a sell out and won't be. I reckon it will be around 5k max to be honest.

If that's the case, I think we need to sign one of those two hookers to the EPS. I don't like the idea of relying on Albert throwing the ball into the lineout against a decent outfit.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

Disappointing crowd, I don't have tickets yet and am planning on taking the family.
It may be cheap for the Reds to host a trial there but if crowds aren't coming then I'd like to see them head north or west. Toowoomba seems to be successful so would be good to see them get a trial every year.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Really? I thought it was every womans dream to be romanced on the XXXX Hill for Valentines day?? Perfect date night location!

A man after my own heart there Big Dog.

I'm a lady looking for the finer things: a marriage proposal incorporating "crouch set engage", a wedding on a day without rugby (or a big screen at the reception with speeches during the ad breaks), and for catering we can have a couple of pigs on a spit.

T

TOCC

strange how the Reds can get 8'000 to a fans day but only 5'000 are going to turn up for a trial match at the same location..

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
haevn't heard that - Kerevi is. Not Kev.

This game was originally meant to be played on the Sunny Coast. They bid for it as part of a tender, were awarded it and then one day just up and decided they didn't want it anymore (obviously financially limited). At that time it was just easier to put it on at Ballymore, rather than try to go through the negotiation with other regions (and it suited the participating team's timing) as it was about the be launched.

Its a shame, because one of the big legacies of these trials is the home union gets money from it. The money Downs Rugby has got from hosting it from the last two years is pretty damn significant (although this year's numbers haven't been finalised - or I am no longer privy to).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
strange how the Reds can get 8'000 to a fans day but only 5'000 are going to turn up for a trial match at the same location..

one is free for starters - and you definitely get to meet the players, which is a massive attraction.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
one is free for starters - and you definitely get to meet the players, which is a massive attraction.

One thing I was impressed with last week was meeting the players. Mainly Rebels, but plenty of Hurricane players signing autographs and posing for photos.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

It is Valentine's Day after all.

Although, there is nothing more romantic than going to the rugby.

T

TOCC

haevn't heard that - Kerevi is. Not Kev.

This game was originally meant to be played on the Sunny Coast. They bid for it as part of a tender, were awarded it and then one day just up and decided they didn't want it anymore (obviously financially limited). At that time it was just easier to put it on at Ballymore, rather than try to go through the negotiation with other regions (and it suited the participating team's timing) as it was about the be launched.

Its a shame, because one of the big legacies of these trials is the home union gets money from it. The money Downs Rugby has got from hosting it from the last two years is pretty damn significant (although this year's numbers haven't been finalised - or I am no longer privy to).

I think its a wonderful concept, shame the Sunshine Coast match fell through, the Trial matches seemed to have been well received by Cairns as well in the past although i imagine the costs of hosting a game in Cairns is significantly higher then that of Brisbane.

I know my mates on the Darling Downs love having the Reds play, as i was saying in another thread, since the departure of the Clysedales there is rarely any form of high quality sport played on the Downs these days so anything like this is a big boost.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I reckon they will be looking to take a trial to NQ or CQ soon. There is the cost factor, plus the logistics planning for the two teams.

Really important to engage with the community in the lead up which I know the Reds (and the Chiefs to an expected lessor degree) did pretty well it seems in Toowoomba. They would've done the same on the Sunny Coast and it would've been a great message to the coast after the Stingrays died - to show them rugby was still a factor up there.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon they will be looking to take a trial to NQ or CQ soon. There is the cost factor, plus the logistics planning for the two teams.

Really important to engage with the community in the lead up which I know the Reds (and the Chiefs to an expected lessor degree) did pretty well it seems in Toowoomba. They would've done the same on the Sunny Coast and it would've been a great message to the coast after the Stingrays died - to show them rugby was still a factor up there.

The way the Tahs did their trial in Albury seemed to work well (although having a car company as a sponsor helped).

They made a big deal of the road trip and did it over several days running coaching clinics and doing other events at country towns on the way.

Seems like a good way of killing two birds with one stone (having a country trial and engaging with rural fans).

Status
Not open for further replies.