• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Trial: Reds v Rebels - Friday 14 February 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Quade Cooper stretchered off. Possibly concussion??

This is a big blow to the Reds. They have two very hard games in the next two weeks, both away. If Cooper is not fit for either it could cruel the Reds season before it starts.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Can anyone confirm the Cooper injury? Concussion is prob good & yes that sounds bad and is. In my defence I still think he is going to do his knee again every time he goes for a big step. Hope he is ok, will devestate him to miss a lot of another season.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Can anyone confirm the Cooper injury? Concussion is prob good & yes that sounds bad and is. In my defence I still think he is going to do his knee again every time he goes for a big step. Hope he is ok, will devestate him to miss a lot of another season.

@ScottA_ 1m
Richard Graham says Quade Cooper is in good spirits. Will go for a scan but Graham thinks precautionary and should play next week #REDVREB

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Let's just wait and see shall we. For all this perceived talk of the Reds weakness being the forward pack, I haven't seen them get beaten by too many over the last four years.

as i said earlier the rebs have a good (? very good) front row.

no pie for me ;)

redveincheese

Billy Sheehan (19)
Not an easy game game to watch. Mistakes aplenty from both sides, with the advantage for errors going to the reds. The Rebels defense was impressive, and the major contributing factor in the final result I think. If they keep that up they will worry a lot of sides this season. Their scrum though was dominated, but not according to James Leckie who handed the Rebs several scrum collapsing penalties even though the reds pushed them over the mark several times. Not sure why a team that is going forward in the scrum would collapse it. The reds execution lacked polish and the Rebs took their chances when they had them and put the points on the board. Well done rebs fans, best of luck for the season.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Quade Cooper stretchered off. Possibly concussion??

This is a big blow to the Reds. They have two very hard games in the next two weeks, both away. If Cooper is not fit for either it could cruel the Reds season before it starts.

Fingers crossed he isn't but they have to be a good enough team to win without him if they're to win the title. He's an integral part of the way they play but there should be enough depth to produce gritty wins if needed.

Either way hopefully RG is right and Quade is ok. Sounds like they played fairly shit... Maybe a bit of complacency? Congrats to the Rebels. I hope they do well this year, it can only be good for Australia rugby, especially with all the fresh faces they have.

Sounds like Turner is out of a job? Toua playing himself into the 15 jersey possibly?

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Well, that game was very not pretty.

Before going off, QC (Quade Cooper) (and indeed the rest if the reds) seemed to not be able to consistently attack for the very brief moments they had the ball. (And no, rebel fans it was not due to awesome pressure from the rebels unfortunately - just gross ineptitude and clumsiness by the reds)

The reds didn't even rip into the warm up. (Grumbles may well be right) Very disturbing to watch. I have seen worse QC (Quade Cooper) games before, but not many. Maybe 3 at most.

Rebels are a tight unit, it's easy to see. Always supportive of each other.

James Leckie is just so.... Terrible. Have never seen him referee a flowing game because the players just constantly get niggly. There's a lot of random looks on the faces as he rolls the penalty dice before blowing the whistle. He is the little kid that got his lunch money taken from him at school that grew up and vowed to get back at everyone by pretending to be an authority figure. He just doesn't seem to have the respect of the players at all. He will referee most of the reds games this year for sure.

Rebels were clearly the better team, but that is like saying a solid turd is better than a splatter poo.

Everyone should be thankful that was not televised as no one would ever watch rugby again.

Still, on a positive note.........

Toua played well when he came on. So did sautia. And higgers is a great player and looks set for another big year for the rebels.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
For almost the entire game the Reds display was one of the poorest I've witnessed since 2009. It was as though the team had re-formed from a long and indulgent vacation just last Wednesday. Merely as one example: I think the Rebels won at least 5/6 scrum penalties in an uninterrupted sequence!

Anyone whom downplays the Rebels quality of game tonight is biassed. They were clearly superior to the Reds in virtually every facet of play, through all of 80, more or less. Their aggressive defence and ball-stripping technique was exceptional, they knew when to attack either centrally or wide, and when to play safe, their error rate was remarkably low, and their back line provided both consistent intensity and generally very sound execution and impact. They looked like a very well coached team; the Reds looked like a poorly coached team, I'm sorry, it has to be said and I hope it's only once I say it in 2014, but I doubt that hope.

I see above the cheerleaders are well and truly out for R Graham. "He's saying all the right things, seems like a beaut bloke and we beat the Chiefs in a trial match." I said for all of 2013 from Day One I considered this a high-risk, potentially disastrous call by Link and the QRU board. I want to be wrong - what I saw tonight gave me nothing towards that want.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Anyone whom downplays the Rebels quality of game tonight is biassed.
I disagree completely based on this simple premise:

A team that played well would have beaten the reds 92-3 tonight.

It is quite simple to look good when the opposition have absolutely no cohesion whatsoever.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I disagree completely based on this simple premise:

A team that played well would have beaten the reds 92-3 tonight.

It is quite simple to look good when the opposition have absolutely no cohesion whatsoever.

When considering:

- Reds playing on 'spiritual home of Queensland rugby'

- Reds seasoned Wallaby players on field to Rebels Wallaby players on field: the numerical ratio. Both teams at full strength and two coaches that have to prove themselves in 2014

- Rebels virtually a team of 'no-names' with a bad S15 record and never having beaten the Reds before, anywhere, anytime

Rebels won tonight convincingly.

Given these operative parameters and outcomes, I think it's a reasonable proposition to argue the Rebels played very well and, in part, as they did for long periods of play, they made the Reds play badly and look bad, it was not a case at all of Reds spontaneous gifts through endless incompetence given to waiting, grateful mediocrities.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
When considering:

- Reds playing on 'spiritual home of Queensland rugby'

- Reds seasoned Wallaby players on field to Rebels Wallaby players on field: the numerical ratio. Both teams at full strength and two coaches that have to prove themselves in 2014

- Rebels virtually a team of 'no-names' with a bad S15 record and never having beaten the Reds before, anywhere, anytime

Rebels won tonight convincingly.

Given these operative parameters and outcomes, I think it's a reasonable proposition to argue the Rebels played very well and, in part, as they did for long periods of play, they made the Reds play badly and look bad, it was not a case at all of Reds spontaneous gifts through endless incompetence given to waiting, grateful mediocrities.
Bullshit. It is not even remotely close to being a reasonable proposition.

Those bits of the game where the little man in the red shirt threw the ball in between all the bigger cuddling men were from when the Rebels dropped the pill. They occurred often.

Those bits of the game where the little man in the blue threw the ball in between the bigger cuddling men were from when the reds dropped the pill. They occurred often.

Almost none of those drops were from pressure or anything else other than poorly thrown passes and inability to catch a ball.

The rucks were a disgrace from both sides - I don't think any of them knew how to stay on their feet, or on their own side.

Quade's passes were forwards or to no one - and it happened very often.

There is no escaping the fact that there was an enormous amount of ball given over to the rebels who had to do nothing whatsoever to earn the ball off the reds.

It was a blight on the good name of rugby that it was played in such a manner.

A team that played well would have smashed the reds by 92-3. The rebels were clearly superior, but only by comparison to the utter dross that was dished up by the reds.

More specifically to your "points":

The ground that they play on is the same piece of dirt for both teams. Every team will eventually win on "hallowed turf".

Wallabies are not guaranteed to play well all of the time, and even whole groups if them can suck the big nut sometimes.

There's always a first time, and the rebels were always going to beat the reds some day - it had to happen at some stage. They are not a bad side as a general rule.

Just because the rebels won convincingly (which they clearly did) does NOT necessarily mean they played well. Teams can play poorly and win, they just play less poorly than the losers on the night.

If you enjoyed that "spectacle" tonight, then I am truly glad for you. I personally thought it was extremely error ridden and played poorly by both teams compared to what both teams are capable of, even for a trial match.

The rebels could take some (few) positives out of the match in some respects - I will concede that. But I doubt that their coaching staff and team were entirely pleased with how they went. They will need to work on a lot of stuff.

The reds will have to work on a lot more.

mech4bg

Allen Oxlade (6)
It's interesting the takeaways we have from a game depending on which side we support. When I saw the Rebels just get pipped by the Reds in 2012, everyone complained about what a terrible game it was, while I saw a riveting encounter that had me on the edge of my seat. And so it goes with this game I guess, this reporter had a very different impression from you:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

MELBOURNE Rebels have completed the Super Rugby pre-season in stunning fashion, upstaging competition powerhouse Queensland at Ballymore as Reds superstar Quade Cooper was badly injured.

Trailing 0-13 after 21 minutes, the Rebels held the Reds scoreless for the remainder of a riveting contest to win their third consecutive trial 18-13.

Tries to Angus Roberts and Scott Fuglistaller rewarded the magnificent work of Melbourne’s under-rated forwards.

Unable to win a trial in its first three seasons, Melbourne has posted three in succession following earlier triumphs over NSW Waratahs and the Hurricanes.
Faced with the might of a formidable Queensland team containing Cooper, Will Genia and James Horwill, the Rebels were superb.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Eye of the beholder, people.

That France v England test the other week was pretty fucking awful too in a lot of ways, but it was a very tight and breathtakingly close game.

Jimmy C

Allen Oxlade (6)
Anyone could have seen that happening a mile away. I don't know a single professional sport in the world were after any loss, the supporters start lining up, screaming for the head of the coach.
Give the guy a chance people!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.