• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

U16/U19 Competition 2023

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Watching a bit delayed. Waratahs ball security at critical moments is hampering them.

Brumbies scrum is bloody good

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I assume everyone else is having a few issues with the broadcast? Breaking up occasionally

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
What I'd call some naive play from the Tahs: 58 minutes in, your maul just inside your own half going forward well. Why take it out? Juice the penalty.
Instead they box kick it. Turning it over

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Very smart and able defence from the Brumbies - rolling under the ball carrier to hold it up

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I am a fan of Jack Barrett and he is as good or better than any of the other LHPs involved in the World U20s tournament this year, but he had his hands full against the starting Brumbies no 3 and was absolutely monstered by Alatini, the Brumbies reserve No 3. The Brumbies scrum was dominant all game and a major factor in the win.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Now the comp is won & done will be interested in the selections going forward. Whether size & reputation still counts.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I am a fan of Jack Barrett and he is as good or better than any of the other LHPs involved in the World U20s tournament this year, but he had his hands full against the starting Brumbies no 3 and was absolutely monstered by Alatini, the Brumbies reserve No 3. The Brumbies scrum was dominant all game and a major factor in the win.
It’s really good to see depth in the spot. He’s put on some kgs as well.

Brumbies bench came on and performed like the Reds game. Barrett and Steil had keep going when fatigued have Alatini come on who’s a beast. Bit of a lack in the NSW pack late. Barrett was also taking a lot of runs around the field and had a couple forced penalties at ruck time.

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
The starting Brumbies tight head (Drew Brndusic from Albury) only began playing rugby at 16.
His background is AFL.

Reactions: TSR

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Noting that John Ulugia moves up from the U19's coaching team to take Dan Palmer's role with the scrum as Assistant Coach for Brumbies.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Watched both games today. How long has this format been going for? Can only be a good thing.
Observations
U16 - wow Tahs were big and bullied the QLDers. It really was men vs boys stuff but QLD scrapped and held on for 70 mins. No doubt we'll see some of these tahs boys in a few years playing Supe. That 22 from Joeys has beast potential.

U19 - well done Brumbies - can only be good for Australian rugby. Presumably the NRL scouts were there and will rip the eyes out of both teams but there is a good pipeline of talent coming through especially in the pigs.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm a fan of this format and it gets good prospects into higher level footy (presumably with pro style S&C) sooner. It's also direct alignment between the club/school systems and a higher grade.