• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

U16/U19 Competition 2023

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
What's the go with Hadley Tonga, i know he's signed with the waratahs and the 7's program. Will he be playing in the u20's? He's defnitely up for it.
He’d walk into the squad. Think their will be a couple from the 18s end up in the group. Unless they intend for him to go Paris which could be the case.

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
He’d walk into the squad. Think their will be a couple from the 18s end up in the group. Unless they intend for him to go Paris which could be the case.
With Sua'ali'i, Jorgo, Pietsch, the new fijian guy and Nawanatiquasi in front of him at the Tahs he could do much worse then building skills, speed and fitness at the 7s. In fact sone of the young 5/8s could do with some of that training and Saunders..

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Add in McCulloch & Bierton from QLD. Look like very good prospects.

Tonga should play 7s for a couple of years. He wouldn’t be physically ready to be exposed to Super Rugby anyway. I know he’s been put down for Eastwood so hopefully gets some game time there and not shoved up just because he’s being paid.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Am I right in thinking it's anyone born in 2004 or later that's eligible for next year's under 20s? If so this is the list of players from last year that can go around again:

Nick Bloomfield (10/02/2004)
Trevor King (17/03/2005)
Harry McLaughlin-Phillips (13/04/2004)
Ronan Leahy (18/05/2004)
Lachlan Hooper (19/02/2004)
Toby Macpherson (Can't find a birth date but played U19s this year)
Leafi Talataina (18/01/2004)
Jack Barrett (03/05/2004)
Ollie McCrea (17/10/2004)
Jackson Ropata (11/03/2004)
Max Jorgensen (02/09/2004)

Based on the players listed here (and Jorgensen). Birth dates sourced from the internet where possible so some maybe a bit inaccurate, but I'm reasonably sure they're all born 2004 or later. You'd expect most to go around again for the under 20s, I'd hope none of them would be held back for super rugby during the big tournaments (Rugby Championship and World cup). Aside from those already mentioned McLaughlin-Phillips could be primed for a very big year based on his performance for the Reds on Saturday.

Last edited:

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Out of interest Seiffert Oval or whatever its called looked a bit sheizen on TV. Who's decision was it to play there? Assume no cash RA decided on the venue?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Games were all over.

Schools/U18s played at the Vikings. Games in Sydney were at Foreshaw… I know cricket is on some of the premier grounds but I think it was just spread around.

Seemed like local rugby fans got out to it though which is good.

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
What's the go with Hadley Tonga, i know he's signed with the waratahs and the 7's program. Will he be playing in the u20's? He's defnitely up for it.
Dusk

Hadley will have his hands full.

Seven’s itinerary

HBSC SVNS – Festival dates
Dubai, UAE – 2-3 December, 2023
Cape Town, South Africa – 9-10 December, 2023
Perth, Australia – 26-28 January, 2024
Vancouver, Canada – 23-25 February, 2024
Los Angeles, USA – 2-3 March, 2024
Hong Kong SAR, China – 5-7 April 2024
Singapore, Singapore – 3-5 May 2024
Madrid, Spain – 31 May-2 June, 2024

The World U20’s are in South Africa again in 2024.
This years champs kicked off on 24th June and I’m assuming a similar start date next year.

Last edited:

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Dusk

Hadley will have his hands full.

Seven’s itinerary

HBSC SVNS – Festival dates
Dubai, UAE – 2-3 December, 2023
Cape Town, South Africa – 9-10 December, 2023
Perth, Australia – 26-28 January, 2024
Vancouver, Canada – 23-25 February, 2024
Los Angeles, USA – 2-3 March, 2024
Hong Kong SAR, China – 5-7 April 2024
Singapore, Singapore – 3-5 May 2024
Madrid, Spain – 31 May-2 June, 2024

The World U20’s are in South Africa again in 2024.
This years champs kicked off on 24th June and I’m assuming a similar start date next year.
Isn't the u20s in the Gold Coast? or are there 2 u20's competitions in 2024?

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
Isn't the u20s in the Gold Coast? or are there 2 u20's competitions in 2024?
This is part of my post from yesterday. The Gold Coast in April is just for SANZAAR teams.

SANZAAR has announced that an Under 20 (U20) version of The Rugby Championship will kick-off in 2024. The Championship will see up and coming stars of Argentina, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa rugby do battle on an annual basis.
The Championship will allow for a more defined pathway for younger players into senior and international rugby and provide a springboard into the annual World Rugby U20 Championship that is currently missing

Steve_Grey

Ward Prentice (10)
Sydney Uni parting ways with Dan Parks, or is he moving up the chain? They have an 'expressions of interest' for SUFC Colts Coaching Staff.

Shuteshieldfan

Frank Nicholson (4)
Sydney Uni parting ways with Dan Parks, or is he moving up the chain? They have an 'expressions of interest' for SUFC Colts Coaching Staff.
No premierships in the last two years is simply unacceptable and unheard of for Syd Uni Colts given their advantages. Clearly Parksy didn't work out and you would think they wouldn't be keeping him around.

Steve_Grey

Ward Prentice (10)
No premierships in the last two years is simply unacceptable and unheard of for Syd Uni Colts given their advantages. Clearly Parksy didn't work out and you would think they wouldn't be keeping him around.
Wonder if NSW Rugby take a similar view after the lacklustre final performance of U19 Waratahs vs Brumbies? Selections aside, it is not like NSW is short of talent.

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I simply do not know how the Tahs performance in the U192 final can be labeled "lucklustre" (sic). I was at the match, and it was a quality game by both sides in both attack and defence. The Tahs hammered away at the tryline for most of the second half, but only committed defence by the Brumbies kept them out. The Brumbies pack finished on top, but the backlines were very even and both had some excellent attacking phases. There was plenty of talent on show by both sides.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It was a good match and the Tahs went over the line 3/4 times without finishing it off. Brumbies defence won it.

It is a bit of a retention/recruitment issue when you look at the scorecard and see former players in Sky Blue coming back to bite them.

Huge credit to Brumbies coaching team for putting that group together and looking settled from week 1. Even when down v the Reds they stuck to the plan and got it done.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
I simply do not know how the Tahs performance in the U192 final can be labeled "lucklustre" (sic). I was at the match, and it was a quality game by both sides in both attack and defence. The Tahs hammered away at the tryline for most of the second half, but only committed defence by the Brumbies kept them out. The Brumbies pack finished on top, but the backlines were very even and both had some excellent attacking phases. There was plenty of talent on show by both sides.

Well obviously there is an issue if the team that beat the Tahs was made up of many NSW rejects. Whether the issue is coaching (doubt it), selection and talent retention (probably this), or some sort of cultural issue I am not sure. But something isn't working right.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Did the Tahs turn down a penalty shot at goal directly in front of the sticks, and instead opt for a quick tap, but no so quick as the Brumbies' defence was set, about ten minutes into the game when the scores were nil all?

That seemed... dumb.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
Did the Tahs turn down a penalty shot at goal directly in front of the sticks, and instead opt for a quick tap, but no so quick as the Brumbies' defence was set, about ten minutes into the game when the scores were nil all?

That seemed... dumb.

Also watched Jackson Ropata bomb a certain try, giving in to the white line fever that he is well known for...

Unsurprisingly Brumbies were the smarter team. They always are. If you need confirmation of this, go watch round 1 Tahs vs Brumbies. Tahs were winning. Time was up. But instead of kicking it out and taking their win, they kicked the ball for touch looking for a bonus point, which lead to the Gray slotting a penalty goal to win.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well obviously there is an issue if the team that beat the Tahs was made up of many NSW rejects. Whether the issue is coaching (doubt it), selection and talent retention (probably this), or some sort of cultural issue I am not sure. But something isn't working right.

This is always going to be the reality. NSW produces more players than there are contracts and positions for. Players are always going to leave for opportunities.

It isn't like players who have left have been passed over for vastly inferior players. It's not even like for like in that some players that have moved elsewhere haven't done so because of a player in the current NSW under 19 side. E.g. Dan Nelson has gone to the Brumbies because he is a year behind Teddy Wilson.