• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

U16/U19 Competition 2023

Steve_Grey

Ward Prentice (10)
I simply do not know how the Tahs performance in the U192 final can be labeled "lucklustre" (sic). I was at the match, and it was a quality game by both sides in both attack and defence. The Tahs hammered away at the tryline for most of the second half, but only committed defence by the Brumbies kept them out. The Brumbies pack finished on top, but the backlines were very even and both had some excellent attacking phases. There was plenty of talent on show by both sides.
Spelling corrected, but lacklustre was the 'Tahs' fitting label. Lack (shortage of), Lustre (French for shine/sparkle) - put together means not to shine (English not American Lackluster).

NSW Waratahs U19s certainly did not shine (oft confused with lack of effort, of which they were not guilty - but effort alone isn't enough at this level). The game itself certainly was not lacklustre, and the Brumbies were the complete opposite of lacklustre - they sparkled, both in attack and defence. A try in time added on made the losing scoreline more flattering, but ultimately the Waratahs lacked sparkle.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Spelling corrected, but lacklustre was the 'Tahs' fitting label. Lack (shortage of), Lustre (French for shine/sparkle) - put together means not to shine (English not American Lackluster).

NSW Waratahs U19s certainly did not shine (oft confused with lack of effort, of which they were not guilty - but effort alone isn't enough at this level). The game itself certainly was not lacklustre, and the Brumbies were the complete opposite of lacklustre - they sparkled, both in attack and defence. A try in time added on made the losing scoreline more flattering, but ultimately the Waratahs lacked sparkle.

If you say so. Winners get to write the history. What the Waratahs actually lacked was the rugby nous to score when they were dominant. For long periods in the game they were on top everywhere but the scoreboard.

If you say so. Winners get to write the history. What the Waratahs actually lacked was the rugby nous to score when they were dominant. For long periods in the game they were on top everywhere but the scoreboard.
Jeez I think this all a bit hard on the Tahs. Both their locks dropped the ball over the line!!! They had three tries not allowed as held up. The Brumbies two first half tries were against the run of play. The Tahs left a lot of points out there. Not for one second do I say the Brumbies did not deserve to win - they really did. They improved their scrum from the first game and made an absolute mess of the Tahs lineout maul. And their defence was amazing. That said the Tahs defence was very good as well. I think with the exception of one particular player - who has been identified elsewhere here - the Tahs players acquitted themselves well. Brumbies just too good. But the Tahs were really good as well.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Probably a chat for the Club threads but what players missed out that genuinely should feel aggrieved?

Didn't watch any Colts tbh but it seems a lot of Eastwood players were involved and reading what others have said most of the Warringah weren’t eligible?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Jeez I think this all a bit hard on the Tahs. Both their locks dropped the ball over the line!!! They had three tries not allowed as held up. The Brumbies two first half tries were against the run of play. The Tahs left a lot of points out there. Not for one second do I say the Brumbies did not deserve to win - they really did. They improved their scrum from the first game and made an absolute mess of the Tahs lineout maul. And their defence was amazing. That said the Tahs defence was very good as well. I think with the exception of one particular player - who has been identified elsewhere here - the Tahs players acquitted themselves well. Brumbies just too good. But the Tahs were really good as well.

This was the point of my post, which must have been lost in translation. NSW lost for just one reason. When they had clear dominance they were unable to score, despite getting over the tryline five times. Not the first good team to experience this phenomenon. That's what I meant by a lack of rugby nous. The Brumbies got in a position to score and did, the Tahs got into position to score and didn't.

Why? Hard to know from the outside but probably a coaching issue.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This was the point of my post, which must have been lost in translation. NSW lost for just one reason. When they had clear dominance they were unable to score, despite getting over the tryline five times. Not the first good team to experience this phenomenon. That's what I meant by a lack of rugby nous. The Brumbies got in a position to score and did, the Tahs got into position to score and didn't.

Why? Hard to know from the outside but probably a coaching issue.

And from my casual viewing the Tahs blew what should have been easy scoring opportunities with some amateur play - not taking the points on offer early in the game to build scoreboard pressure, shifting the ball wide before they had drawn in defenders etc.

Steve_Grey

Ward Prentice (10)
Yes - sadly the school of hard knocks; chances not taken by Waratahs versus chances taken by Brumbies.

Your final point is probably the most salient - when a team is playing with a pack of 7 (maybe 6 1/2) versus a very strong pack of 8, the extra work required causes additional fatigue, and mistakes are made - that utlimately played out with the result.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Positives for NSW are the fact they only lost 2 games all year from 15s-19s. A lot more up than down.

Some special talents in that 16s side from what I saw.

With the list Wilson had of players that should be available to the 20s it should be a strong team. Bit of an older pack which is huge is guys like Talataina, Barrett, Hooper can lead them.

Putmeoncoach

Allen Oxlade (6)
F3409E33-9179-478B-B87E-E7E7986A262D.jpeg

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
They have improved enormously over the past 5 years and should be commended for it. This was part of the reason for removing the ASRU from having so much control/sway. They don’t have a prerogative to retain talent and have complete separation from the professional organisations.

Will be Interesting to see how they line up. Few givens starting surely. Large, Grover, Hartman, Finegan.

Shuteshieldfan

Frank Nicholson (4)
Probably a chat for the Club threads but what players missed out that genuinely should feel aggrieved?

Didn't watch any Colts tbh but it seems a lot of Eastwood players were involved and reading what others have said most of the Warringah weren’t eligible?
The one Waringah forward who made it barely got a look in and was behind Uni's Davis (invisible) and Staniforth who was Uni 2nd grade.
I know the amount of Uni 1st and 2nd graders has been a big talking point amongst the players in the match day squad!

The unluckiest ones for me are these people;

Miles Ball can consider himself very unlucky (Woods Lock/6 that played every game in 1s).
Boston Morete, shouldn't have had to have gone to the Brumbies just for game time (Wicks hooker).
William Hopper, a great on baller from Gordon.
Livingstone from Rats is better than those above but he missed a lot of the season due to injury but was in 1s for Warringah.

And in the backs

Landen Walker, Souths halfback.
Rory Morgan, Manly centre (though possibly injured).
Manus Bailey (Gordon) probably did enough to at least make the squad.

Who do we like as guys who can go to the next level. From the 16s I think Grover, Baxter and Makasini are red hot. From the 19s Staniforth, and Di Staso have what it takes. From left field I like Schmude. A lot of upside with this bloke; a genuine Rugby player, as opposed to an athlete. Has a bit to learn in terms of game management but gee he has some instinct and beautiful skills.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
First under 20 squad has been named:

Australia U20 Preliminary Squad:​

Forwards

Jack Barrett – Waratahs
Bryn Edwards – Waratahs
Jackson Stiel – Waratahs
Harvey Cordukes – Brumbies
Toby Macpherson – Brumbies
Dane Sawers - Force
Lachlan Hooper - Brumbies
Pat Sowerby - Reds
Sam Sahyoun- Brumbies
Tevita Alatini – Brumbies
Ollie McCrea - Waratahs
Charlie Brosnan – Reds
Joe Liddy - Reds
Arnie Tancred - Waratahs
Judah Saumaisue - Rebels
Macarius Pereira – Reds
Boston Morete – Brumbies
Drew Brndusic – Brumbies
Pat Gavin – Reds
Caleb Karangaroa – Force
Ben Di Staso – Waratahs
Manaia Tetana – Force
Lington Leli – Brumbies
Lleyten Tautua - Brumbies

Backs

Dan Nelson – Brumbies
Cullen Gray – Brumbies
Jack Harley – Brumbies
Divad Palu - Rebels
Jackson Ropata – Waratahs
Archie Saunders – Waratahs
Will McCulloch – Reds
Doug Philipson – Force
Joey Fowler – Rebels
Jakob Biet – Brumbies
Jullien Caillol – Waratahs
Kauri Tipene-Grace – Force
Angus Staniforth – Brumbies
Billy Dickens – Waratahs
Will Nason – Reds
Jarrah McLeod – Brumbies
Frankie Goldsbrough – Reds
Tiam Toufan – Force
Shane Wilcox – Brumbies
Eli Sagala – Brumbies
Thomas Hayes – Brumbies

Not considered due to injury or Super Rugby Pacific commitments

Oniti Finau
Trevor King
Nick Bloomfield
Ben Daniels
Leafi Talataina
Dom Thygesen
Ryan McGloin
Max Jorgensen
Harry McLaughlin-Phillips
Ronan Leahy

Super players held back for this one. Good to see they're getting Fisher involved.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It looks like the squad may be in some sort of priority order with, for example, the whole Waratahs front row being first three forwards nominated follwed by the two Brumbies locks, and then Hooper also falls into the spot he mostly played at 7. In the backs, similarly, starts with three of the Brumbies in their playing positions.

If so, and without demeaning the Tahs front row at all, but the Brumbies front row and replacements could feel a bit put off as they dominated the set piece and open play, especially in defence, against the Tahs in the final. Anyway, really looking forward to the U20s RC next year.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
It looks like the squad may be in some sort of priority order with, for example, the whole Waratahs front row being first three forwards nominated follwed by the two Brumbies locks, and then Hooper also falls into the spot he mostly played at 7. In the backs, similarly, starts with three of the Brumbies in their playing positions.

If so, and without demeaning the Tahs front row at all, but the Brumbies front row and replacements could feel a bit put off as they dominated the set piece and open play, especially in defence, against the Tahs in the final. Anyway, really looking forward to the U20s RC next year.

I agree. Thought Barrett was the only front rower for the Tahs who really deserved selection in the front row (considering Finau was injured). Thought Edwards may have squeezed in, but some of those impact players for ACT should feel hard done by.