• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

U18 Academy Games and Australia U18s

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
Starts tomorrow (Saturday)

The next generation of Australian rugby stars will take centre stage as the revamped Super Rugby Men’s U16 and U19 competitions kick off on Saturday 30 September.

Teams from the ACT Brumbies, NSW Waratahs, QLD Reds, Melbourne Rebels and Western Force will go head-to-head across a five-week regular season, with every game broadcast live and on-demand on Stan Sport.

The top two sides in each competition will face off in their respective Grand Finals on Sunday 5 November.

The Super Rugby U16s and U19s serve an important role in rugby's development pathway, giving more than 300 of Australia's most talented juniors a valuable insight into the professional game.

The competitions also present an opportunity for players to press their claims for national selection, with the Junior Wallabies shaping up for another World Rugby U20 Championship campaign in 2024.

"The Super Rugby U16s and U19s will showcase our next generation of Super Rugby Pacific and Wallabies stars while delivering them the benefits of a week in, week out, high-performance rugby environment," Rugby Australia National Pathways Manager Nic Henderson said.

"The excitement that surrounded the inaugural tournaments last year has only been enhanced through our closer alignment with the Super Rugby brand in 2023.

"These tournaments are the pinnacle of age group rugby in Australia and a vital stepping stone for players on the path to the professional game.

"With all matches being broadcast live on Stan Sport, it's fantastic to give every rugby fan across the country the opportunity to be part of that journey."

SUPER RUGBY U16s AND U19s SCHEDULE​

*all times local

ROUND 1​

30 September

Brumbies v Waratahs, Viking Park ACT, U16s 12.05pm, U19s 1.45pm

Force v Rebels, Claremont FC WA, U16s 11.40am, U19s 1.20pm

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
IMG_9244.jpeg

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It does. I would have liked to see Lokeni and Fakafunua in the Centres together to pressure NZ.

The only weakness was wayward passing through the backline and I wouldn’t mind those two putting a heap of pressure on. Combination from Kings can’t be denied it worked all year.

Shame we don’t get to see Hadley Tonga get a run.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)

Only starters to keep their jersey for this game are Barrett (2) Goddard (3) Ekanayake (6) Wilcox (11) Palmer (14) Pakeho (shifted from 12 to 13) and Walsh (shifted from 10 to 15).

Feel like the entire starting tight 5 earned a starting jersey again.

Additionally felt like Pakeha and Walsh didn't, but coach clearly disagrees. Think Prass was better than Walsh even if his massive boot caused us problems. Really hope he gets that under control cause it's a weapon if used correctly. Just like GoR I think the Kings pairing should have started in the centres. Guess we will see if they can prove me wrong.

Bob McCowan (2)
I wonder if they will switch Joe Walsh and Boston Fakafanua during the game?

I know Walsh played a bit of inside centre last year for NSW 16s, and didn't Fakafanua play both fullback and inside for Kings?

I think Walsh is a top prospect but it's a tough gig to play him in a position he very rarely plays.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

I know Walsh played a bit of inside centre last year for NSW 16s, and didn't Fakafanua play both fullback and inside for Kings?

I think Walsh is a top prospect but it's a tough gig to play him in a position he very rarely plays.
Yeah he swapped between the two positions week to week it seemed/depending on opponent.

Don’t think it’s as easy as some coaches think to just put a bloke back even if they want to and think they can do it. Even Mason Gordon with the 20s was pretty rough when trying to squeeze him into the lineup.

Shuteshieldfan

Frank Nicholson (4)

I think it's just a case of getting the best players on the field, irrespective of position.