• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

U20s WC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
It's like the Twilight zone. The only thing we did well was scrum.

Our attack was so bad. I thought Wales deserved a yellow card and that might of changed the outcome but we didn't deserve a win at all.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
And what evidence do you have that they did no research - aside from your opinion?

The fact that the welsh coaches joined the boys on the field post game whilst ours were nowhere to be seen with a very disillusioned looking bunch of young players standing in a circle was symptomatic of how the chief selector and his team behave.
Poor selections including halfback who someone mentioned previously together with what does george francis have to do to get a start...he inspires the whole team.....no good sitting on the bench for 60 minutes.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I thought there were some glimpses of good play but have to agree with others that that the appalling handling and lack of go forward from the pack really made it hard to get into good positions. There were good scoring opportunities on either wing but I still can’t work out if it was poor support by the winger or poor passing by the inside man that killed both chances. I’m also confused about the line outs - why did they insist on taking the ball down when they were going to give it to the half? Isn’t it more of an advantage to get the ball to thehalf from the top of the jump rather than giving the defence extra time to get organised? And when they opted for the maul, they lost possession. Fortunately the scrum was dominant or we’d have been in even more trouble.

And Sean Moloney has to be the worst commentator of all - the call throughout the game was amateurish and embarrassing, and he can’t even pronounce a player’s name properly - FFS, the #10 is Kuenzle, which is pronounced ‘Koonzel’, and not Kwenzie!!! Moloney’s a moron and Fox Sports should get someone sensible in there as a replacement.
I’m not sure that his replacement needs to be sensible to be better, though I haven’t seen the game: i put on series link and got every game but this one and can’t see that they’re replaying it.
Reading all poster’s reports it sounds like we got exactly what was to be expected from a half arsed selection process with no preparatory tournament and the perennial dud coach - who was the aru guiding hand in selecting the 2016 schools team of which this is Groundhog Day.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
"If Bayley Kuenzle’s kick hadn’t been spot on, there wouldn’t have been a try."
The kick was good along with the vision but (imo) not spot on. The exceptional work of the winger to jump the 10 story building to fetch the kick and the presence of mind to off load asap whilst enjoying the view from up above (what we call a specky in that other code) was spectacular and extremely selfless .100% on team mates working together for the greater good :D
Well it was better than beales effort at brookvale which even the anointed greatest aerial 15 in the world couldn’t reach.

Shadow

Sydney Middleton (9)
And what evidence do you have that they did no research - aside from your opinion?
Too many Qld players being parachuted into the squad who had not been part of training camps and players who had gone through the process getting punted.
The coaches and selectors who made these decisions need to take the blame
How can about 50% of an Aust 20s squad come from one State.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Too many Qld players being parachuted into the squad who had not been part of training camps and players who had gone through the process getting punted.
And some of those parachutes are elevated above others that have been in the squad since the beginning.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
And some of those parachutes are elevated above others that have been in the squad since the beginning.

Joe James

Stan Wickham (3)
The question I want answered is how do we have players selected and sent overseas in an AU’s 20s side to play against the top nations in the world that have not played this year for their clubs at all due to injuries. To play at that level takes match fitness and the confidence that only comes from playing regular tough rugby and succeeding. These are the players you need in a squad to travel overseas not busted, unfit and lacking in match confidence. In previous years if injured you didn’t even step onto the plane. How many are injured at the moment as at least three players were playing out of position.
Lucas is a fly half not big enough for a twelve and runs in circles
Tupou is a winger not a 13 shown by his poor passing and lateral running
Kemeny is a 6 not an 8 and has played minimally since a knee injury in 2016
Where is The first choice flyhalf Creighton who really is a fullback is he injured?
And how was Goddard not the first choice halfback. Lonergan has a great pass and that’s it. Tate has a poor pass and good attacking skills. Goddard can score ,kick and pass.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Kemeny played all of 2017 for Uni colts. So has played plenty since the knee injury that happened in the Nationals final on 2016.

He is a very good player and equally at home at 6 or 8. Well deserving of his selection.

Remember, there are not too many from NSW in the team. Those that are, well deserve their spots. There are some that missed out that are unlucky. Goddard I agree is in that category.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Research?
This isn’t a science project or a PhD thesis.
A state/region based competition for this age group would have been a better way to see how things had changed since 2016.
And with all due respect to him, bringing back the coach who’d been sidelined for Cron last year, and who in his last stint had a dismal strike rate, is a mixture of a triumph of hope over experience and a zombie state.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Kemeny played all of 2017 for Uni colts. So has played plenty since the knee injury that happened in the Nationals final on 2016.

He is a very good player and equally at home at 6 or 8. Well deserving of his selection.

Remember, there are not too many from NSW in the team. Those that are, well deserve their spots. There are some that missed out that are unlucky. Goddard I agree is in that category.

Where is Goddard?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He's been on the bench for the Rebels for the last couple of games.
That is ridiculous.
At his age he needs game time and he could have got it over there.
When you hear of things like that you just wonder how this “slump” we’re is ever going to change.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
In spite of a number of the postings above, it wasn't the players that lost the game for us.
It was fairly obvious to me that this team, compared to the Welsh, were not well coached.
Basic or unforced errors were too many for a national side, and as for planned moves, a man without an arm could count the number on his fingers.

Rebel with a cause

Bob McCowan (2)

Where has he been this year??? Its 8 months since 2017 season

Rebel with a cause

Bob McCowan (2)
Where is Goddard?

I think the problem stems from 2017 when Cron, the 2017 Aus 20s coach and rebels assistant coach, catapulted Goddard (who was at the Rebels and sat on several Super Rugby benches) above Nucifora and Strang for the Aus 20s halfback spot in the world champs.
Both Strang and Nucifora had been selected for 2017 Oceania champs by Thompson but Strang unbelievably was dropped for the World champs.
Goddard may be feeling the repercussions this year of Thompson being over-ruled by the coach Cron in 2017 ????
If this is true and petty disputes are what selections are being based on why the hell are these people involved in selecting Australian teams??????

S

sidelineview

I watched the replay and unfortunately they had a shocker especially in the 2nd half.
The Welsh defence was very good so credit there but as mentioned the ball control from the Aussies was very poor.
A lack of basic skills by the players cant be put onto the coach. Developing skills goes way back.
Fatigue can cause poor ball control as well.
They can only get better.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
And how was Goddard not the first choice halfback. Lonergan has a great pass and that’s it. Tate has a poor pass and good attacking skills. Goddard can score ,kick and pass.

And is first choice goal kicker, but that's about it as far as I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.