• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
To my eye half is the position they fuck up.
For me Strang was a shoe in back whenever, not least because he was also a more than passable 10.
Never got a shot.
Phipps is proof that we do not understand 9s play.
Everyone is hard on Phipps.

He is probably the fittest man ever to play the game. His ability to keep up with play and get to the breakdown first is underrated.

He may be lacking some skills. But he does put in tremendous effort and anyone that has ever played with him do rate him and he is a positive influence in a team.

But he has some work to do to get past Gordon.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Everyone is hard on Phipps.

He is probably the fittest man ever to play the game. His ability to keep up with play and get to the breakdown first is underrated.

He may be lacking some skills. But he does put in tremendous effort and anyone that has ever played with him do rate him and he is a positive influence in a team.

But he has some work to do to get past Gordon.

No doubt the guy is all those things - it’s not his fault he gets picked or that at various time there has been no viable alternative. Perhaps better proof that the talent identifiers struggle when picking halves is the number of them who come from off the usual pathway: Farr-Jones, Burgess and now Gordon.

S

sidelineview

Gets back to the assumption that a contracted player in 1 state is automatically better than 1 without a contract from another.

TBH, I haven't seen many of these boys play or seen very little of them. I wouldn't know who is best.

I do know there is a lot of competition for the scrum half position. I am surprised there is still 3 in the 32, I would have thought only 2. Selectors might be having trouble determining who is best. No scrum half's have been cut from the original 63 extended squad (at least to my figuring)

None of Gen blues were considered. Tyzac Jordan or Marco Bell, yet alone Will Haskins who was NSW 1 halfback in 2016. So lots of talent and competition for the No 9 position. Be interesting to see who is selected in the run on against NZ.

No, no 9s have been cut. Goddard and Lonergan were shoe-ins for 2 spots and it was a race for the 3rd 9, considering they decided to choose 3 scrum halfs.
McDermott got the nod over Jordan and any others they were considering.
Jordan has since done his ACL and is out for the season.

Haskings didnt make either Aussie Schoolboys team in 2016 so it would have been surprising for him to be considered.

Fortunes can change for players in a couple of years.
MDermott was the 2nd string scrum half for the Schools Barbarians team in 2016 but then won a contract to play Sevens, and is now in the U20s team.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
No, no 9s have been cut. Goddard and Lonergan were shoe-ins for 2 spots and it was a race for the 3rd 9, considering they decided to choose 3 scrum halfs.
McDermott got the nod over Jordan and any others they were considering.
Jordan has since done his ACL and is out for the season.

Haskings didnt make either Aussie Schoolboys team in 2016 so it would have been surprising for him to be considered.

Fortunes can change for players in a couple of years.
MDermott was the 2nd string scrum half for the Schools Barbarians team in 2016 but then won a contract to play Sevens, and is now in the U20s team.
Sorry to hear about injury to Jordan. The Wicks season will be in ruins.

I think this squad will be cut again after Oceania. I am pretty sure a smaller squad will go to France. (match day 23 and a few spares) So not sure if there will be 3 X 9's in France. Probably 2 and a utility back that can fill in.

S

sidelineview

Sorry to hear about injury to Jordan. The Wicks season will be in ruins.

I think this squad will be cut again after Oceania. I am pretty sure a smaller squad will go to France. (match day 23 and a few spares) So not sure if there will be 3 X 9's in France. Probably 2 and a utility back that can fill in.

Randwick have a good stock of local juniors so dont worry.

I agree there'll be two 9s later. Goddard & Lonergan given they're both fit.
Although i thought Strang would have made it last year.

S

sidelineview

The Qld schoolboys team performed poorly at the Nationals in 2016 and got a good reprentation of players in the Aussie Schools teams.
The same happened last year with the NSW teams.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
ANyone have any news of Jnr Wallabies(U20's) lineup for this Friday's game against Fiji??? Been errriliee quiet.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
ANyone have any news of Jnr Wallabies(U20's) lineup for this Friday's game against Fiji??? Been errriliee quiet.
Nothing.

I have been scouting for press releases, nothing.

Suspect they will announce a team tomorrow.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It will be a very interesting team to start the Oceania campaign with a number of like starters missing due to Super rugby commitment.
  1. Semisi Tupou (away in SA with REBELS)
  2. Sama Malolo (away in SA with REBELS)
  3. Harrison Goddard(away in SA with REBELS)
  4. Hamish STuart (REDS vs Lions)
  5. Jordan Petaia (REDS vs Lions)
  6. Harry Hockings (REDS vs Lions)
there maybe others. .

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Junior Wallabies team to play Fiji U20s
1. George Francis, Eastwood
2. Efi Maafu, Wests Bulldogs
3. Tom Ross, Gungahlin
4. Trevor Hosea, Harlequins
5. Angus Blyth, Bond University
6. Esei Haangana (vc), Melbourne Unicorns
7. Fraser McReight, Brothers
8. Patrick Tafa, Norths (Sydney)
9. Ryan Lonergan (c), Vikings
10. Lawson Creighton, Brothers
11. Matt McTaggart, Easts
12. Isaac Lucas, Sunnybank
13. Len Ikitau, Vikings
14. James Ramm, Randwick
15. Mack Hansen, Gungahlin

Reserves
16. Matt Faessler, Brothers
17. Charlie Hancock, Sydney University
18. Josh Nasser, University of Queensland
19. Hugh Margin, Gordon
20. Tom Kibble, GPS
21. Tate McDermott, University of Queensland
22. Tony Hunt, Norths (Brisbane)
23. Tom Fuller, Randwick

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)

3. Tom Ross, Gungahlin
13. Len Ikitau, Vikings
14. James Ramm, Randwick

Reserves

19. Hugh Margin, Gordon
20. Tom Kibble, GPS
23. Tom Fuller, Randwick

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not really sure that counting players who went to school in Queensland and have subsequently left to play elsewhere really helps your argument. Part of your argument of why you're unhappy is that the Reds are bad. Surely players who no longer live and play in Queensland is irrelevant to that.

Rebel with a cause

Bob McCowan (2)

3. Tom Ross, Gungahlin
13. Len Ikitau, Vikings
14. James Ramm, Randwick

Reserves

19. Hugh Margin, Gordon
20. Tom Kibble, GPS
23. Tom Fuller, Randwick

Aussie 20s team to play FIJI
As expected the QLD State U20s side under the guise of Australian U20s to play Fiji has been named.
Of course there has been a few token NSWelshmen and Brumbie boys thrown into the mix in a lame attempt to call this a National side.
It may be cynical to say as both players are excellent and deserving but with so many Qlders in the team it is astonishing that the captaincy and vice captaincy have both gone to the outsiders- Is this another attempt to placate the southern states ?
Of course we still have a few boys to return from super rugby commitments which should undoubtedly even up the state allocation BUT unfortunately 5 of these shoe-ins are from QLD which gives them a total of 18. WOW!!!
Its OK though because the Reds are doing so well. Second last in the conference but they are competing - sought of. They’re ahead of the Sunwolves
I suppose if Waratah Super Rugby team were weaker they would begin injecting youth into their sides aswell. Would this give the NSW boys a leg up into the team considering they smashed Qld two years ago.
Would the Reds boys be playing super rugby in NSW – I think not!
It was kinda expected though when the ARU gives sole control of selections to one state. Can’t be good as a National pathway when its all about the QLDers. Cant be good for Australian rugby.
Good luck Queensland Australia against the Fijians, Tongans and lets pray for the game v New Zealand.

13 Qld Selected
2. Efi Maafu Wests Bulldogs Hooker QLD Ipswich Grammer QLD
4. Trevor HoseaHarlequins Lock QLD Brisbane Boys College QLD
5. Angus Blyth Bond University Lock QLD Southport School Qld
7. Fraser McReight Brothers Back Row QLD Brisbane Grammar School QLD
8. Patrick Tafa Norths (Sydney) No 8 QLD Brisbane State High School QLD
10. Lawson Creighton Brothers Fullback QLD Padua College QLD
12. Isaac Lucas Sunnybank Fly half QLD St Joseph’s College Gregory Terrace QLD
13. Len Ikitau Vikings Centre QLD Brisbane Boys College QLD
16. Matt Faessler Brothers Hooker QLD Toowoomba Grammar QLD
18. Josh NasserUQLD Prop QLD St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace QLD
20. Tom Kibble GPS Back Row QLD Brisbane Boys College QLD
21. Tate McDermott UQLD ScrumHalf QLD Toowoomba Grammar QLD
22. Tony Hunt Norths (Brisbane) Centre QLD St Joseph’s College Nudgee QLD

6 NSW Selected
1. George Francis Eastwood Prop NSW Westfield Sports High NSW
6. Esei Haangana (vc) Melbourne Flanker NSW Westfield Sports High NSW
11. Matt McTaggart Easts Fullback NSW St Joseph’s College NSW
14. James Ramm Randwick Wing NSW St Joseph’s College NSW
19. Hugh Margin Gordon Lock NSW Knox Grammar NSW
23. Tom Fuller Randwick Fullback NSW Waverley College NSW

4 ACT Selected
3. Tom Ross Gungahlin Prop ACT Daramalan College ACT
9. Ryan Lonergan (c) VikingsHalfback ACT Trinity Christian College ACT
15. Mack Hansen Gungahlin Fullback ACT Daramalan College ACT
17. Charlie Hancock Sydney University Prop ACT Canberra Grammar ACT

Omissions Due to Super Rugby Commitments

5 QLD to return
Harry Hockings Reds Lock QLD Anglican Church Grammar QLD
Harry Hoopert Reds Prop QLD Toowoomba Grammar School QLD
Jordan Petaia Reds Centre QLD Brisbane State High School Qld
Semisi Tupou Rebels Fullback QLD St Joseph’s College Nudgee Qld
Hamish StewartReds Fly Half QLD Toowoomba Grammar School QLD

2 NSW to Return
Harrison Goddard Rebels Scrum half NSW Oakhill College NSW
Sama Malolo Rebels Hooker NSW Randwick Boys High Schoo
l NSW

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Interesting that in the squad selected there is NOT ONE BOY who went to a comprehensive state high school. Every single player has gone to a GPS/CAS/AIC/ISA school (i.e. a private school) or to a state sports high school (NSW).

The kid from Randwick Boys' High (who isn't in the team) is the only one from outside a very narrow elite of schools.

If people want to know why rugby has a problem - then look at this team. A generation ago there would have been a 50/50 split between state and private.

Scholarship supporters please note.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Congratulations to all the boys named to play Aus U20 vs Fiji.

Fiji brought a very competitive side to the 2016 schools game. They played some well structured rugby. (and IMO scored the best try of entire tournament) Aus did win but was a reasonably close game from memory.

Expect they would have grown alot and improved.

Good luck and play well. Give them the respect they deserve because they will be a good side.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Aussie 20s team to play FIJI
As expected the QLD State U20s side under the guise of Australian U20s to play Fiji has been named.
Of course there has been a few token NSWelshmen and Brumbie boys thrown into the mix in a lame attempt to call this a National side.
It may be cynical to say as both players are excellent and deserving but with so many Qlders in the team it is astonishing that the captaincy and vice captaincy have both gone to the outsiders- Is this another attempt to placate the southern states ?
Of course we still have a few boys to return from super rugby commitments which should undoubtedly even up the state allocation BUT unfortunately 5 of these shoe-ins are from QLD which gives them a total of 18. WOW!!!
Its OK though because the Reds are doing so well. Second last in the conference but they are competing - sought of. They’re ahead of the Sunwolves
I suppose if Waratah Super Rugby team were weaker they would begin injecting youth into their sides aswell. Would this give the NSW boys a leg up into the team considering they smashed Qld two years ago.
Would the Reds boys be playing super rugby in NSW – I think not!
It was kinda expected though when the ARU gives sole control of selections to one state. Can’t be good as a National pathway when its all about the QLDers. Cant be good for Australian rugby.
Good luck Queensland Australia against the Fijians, Tongans and lets pray for the game v New Zealand.

How about you cut the sarcastic crap and actually support our future Wallabies.