• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Appears the Reds academy didn't play any U20 games this year (or last) so the potential exposure of the cohort was not there for Nathan Grey to see.
But Queensland players had a full QPR season in 2020, are you saying that’s not a suitable benchmark to assess?

NSW had to cancel the Shute Shield last year, and the GPS schoolboy comp in 2020, so was greater emphasis for them to have an U20s at least.

Roger Tessman

Stan Wickham (3)
Did NZ play their best XV against Fiji or against Argentina?
Mixed I think. Aussies played its best team against the Agies and next best level on Tues night. The team selection will be difficult when trying to work out the better performing positional player against NZ. If the coaches don’t think their forwards are much chop against NZ they’ll revert to predominately the first team in the backs because of kicking ability and strength. Obviously the team against the Fijians looked in better shape and more than likely crumble against NZ. I’m backing the Friday night players and bring in Bowen and Wilson on the bench (politics) even though Werchon was a standout and deserves starting. Hough replace Baker. Others deserving but not gunna happen.

Roger Tessman

Stan Wickham (3)
Starting halfback I thought was excellent. Very nuggety for a No 9 but very sharp and strong defender.

Bowen looks like he has all the skills required to go quite a bit further.
If Werchon #9 was at a GPS school he would have been regarded higher. A bit of a path and will make his name. Bowen good. Gordon has better skill even though he cocked 2 kicks. Bowen took 40 mins to warm up and the team doesn’t have that luxury against NZ. QLD should look at Bowen because he’s above Lynagh is every dimension.

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Gordon cocked 4 including a drop kick off, the penalty at FT and one right on half time that didn’t matter. I like the way Bowen managed the game. His combo with Wilson (all year in first grade at Easts) could be a game changer v NZ.

If they want to win and execute with a clear head, I would prefer they picked a lot of the player from Tuesday and ride their confidence. Aubrey to fullback for second half and Werchon to finish. Unpredictable will beat kiwis.

Roger Tessman

Stan Wickham (3)
Gordon cocked 4 including a drop kick off, the penalty at FT and one right on half time that didn’t matter. I like the way Bowen managed the game. His combo with Wilson (all year in first grade at Easts) could be a game changer v NZ.

If they want to win and execute with a clear head, I would prefer they picked a lot of the player from Tuesday and ride their confidence. Aubrey to fullback for second half and Werchon to finish. Unpredictable will beat kiwis.
Please don’t make me watch a losing game again. Four? I think his conversations and penalties and decisions out way. Kalani will start so the combos don’t hold. You can’t compare the games in any way. The coaches have a hell of a decision but I’d be looking at the Friday night team first and slot in a couple of bench players from Fiji game. My vested interest is the second game and being a realist for a win you need to pick the physically stronger team. Trial games were needed as a lead up.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^ the U20’s pathway sadly seems to be way down the priorities for RA.

No National U20 comp or NRC leaves a big hole. Meanwhile over in Europe they are kicking off an U20’s Summer Series after having only finished the Six Nations U20’s about 8 weeks ago.

NZ feeds their U20’s into the NPC which is why the games against the Junior AB’s could not be rescheduled last year after the July Tests were called off ( plus a little thing called the trans- Tasman travel bubble).

We are miles behind in the development stakes compared to the nations we think we should be competitive with in international rugby.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
^ the U20’s pathway sadly seems to be way down the priorities for Rugby Australia.

No National U20 comp or NRC leaves a big hole. Meanwhile over in Europe they are kicking off an U20’s Summer Series after having only finished the Six Nations U20’s about 8 weeks ago.

NZ feeds their U20’s into the NPC which is why the games against the Junior AB’s could not be rescheduled last year after the July Tests were called off ( plus a little thing called the trans- Tasman travel bubble).

We are miles behind in the development stakes compared to the nations we think we should be competitive with in international rugby.
Ain’t that a fact

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

But Queensland players had a full QPR season in 2020, are you saying that’s not a suitable benchmark to assess?

NSW had to cancel the Shute Shield last year, and the GPS schoolboy comp in 2020, so was greater emphasis for them to have an U20s at least.
why isn't there a super rugby U 20 comp or carnival that runs as selection trials?

seems there are a lot of choices made on reputations and connections from1 to 2 years ago

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Relying on Colts footage and biased opinions of coaches who work for clubs (and the Reds!) is lazy selection.

It's a reality at this level (and any level).

There's 5 club competitions around the country that these players are largely participating in. Only a few are regularly playing Super Rugby.

The coach and assistants can get through far more rugby by watching the streams that are now available vs trying to attend a game or two a weekend live. They are absolutely going to need the input of the Super Rugby teams to put forward strong players.

Outside of COVID there'll be far more watchable competition between the relevant players from previous age grade national championships and Super Rugby under 20s etc.

They get as many camps as they have the budget for but that is always going to be limited.

When you're looking at a constrained budget is it better to spend a lot more of your budget trying to select the squad and then having nothing left to prepare with or focus your budget on giving the players you have selected time to prepare together for the matches?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
why isn't there a super rugby U 20 comp or carnival that runs as selection trials?

seems there are a lot of choices made on reputations and connections from1 to 2 years ago

There's a little thing called COVID that has decimated the finances of RA and made organising these sorts of things far more difficult.

I expect we'll get back to it next year but is it really surprising it hasn't happened for a couple of years?

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

It's a reality at this level (and any level).

There's 5 club competitions around the country that these players are largely participating in. Only a few are regularly playing Super Rugby.

The coach and assistants can get through far more rugby by watching the streams that are now available vs trying to attend a game or two a weekend live. They are absolutely going to need the input of the Super Rugby teams to put forward strong players.

Outside of COVID there'll be far more watchable competition between the relevant players from previous age grade national championships and Super Rugby under 20s etc.

They get as many camps as they have the budget for but that is always going to be limited.

When you're looking at a constrained budget is it better to spend a lot more of your budget trying to select the squad and then having nothing left to prepare with or focus your budget on giving the players you have selected time to prepare together for the matches?
would like to see a balance
but ultimately I want the best players selected even if it means having a smaller squad to save a few $$$$

Same goes with the senior wallabies, seems to have a lot of blokes holding pads in the camps. For example Why have 3 halfbacks? Could have 2 with the third staying in clubland / Aus A, keeping match fit and called up if needed.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

There's a little thing called COVID that has decimated the finances of Rugby Australia and made organising these sorts of things far more difficult.

I expect we'll get back to it next year but is it really surprising it hasn't happened for a couple of years?
A couple of years ago the Qld u18 team played Melb Rebels. Flew out of Brisbane, played then flew home in one day.
Other than Perth, this cold occur for each state to keep costs down.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
would like to see a balance
but ultimately I want the best players selected even if it means having a smaller squad to save a few $$$$

Same goes with the senior wallabies, seems to have a lot of blokes holding pads in the camps. For example Why have 3 halfbacks? Could have 2 with the third staying in clubland / Aus A, keeping match fit and called up if needed.

I reckon every coach on the planet would go in the opposite direction and would want the optimal number of players in their squad with time to work with all of them rather than spending their budget on giving them more information to select a smaller squad with less time to prepare with them.

Two halfbacks in a Wallaby squad? What happens if instead of Cooper getting injured it was White and you're then putting McDermott on the bench having not attended a single training session or meeting with the team?