• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

USA and Canadian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
DTH was a wonderful 7s player! Pritchard also played 7s. The fact that most of the current 7s team also plays 15s for Canada helps tremendously. The player familiarity alone gives advantage, let alone the consistency in coaching across both codes-as you pointed out with Crowley and John working side by side. Canada had 12 of the match day 23 from 7s: Moonlight, Ardron, Jones, Paris, Blevins, Hearn, Hassler, Pritchard, Kleegberger, Mack, Braid, and DTH, with 9 of those playing last IRB Sevens season.

neither pritchard or dth were really sevens players. they might have played a couple tournaments maximum over the course of a year or two but from memory this was way back in 2006-2008 (pre crowley and john in their full capacities)

we have a few great backs who have a definitie preference for 7s. hirayama and sean duke stand out there. they have all but said they are 7s players. i think conor trainor is going down that route as well, which is a shame cause he is a great 15's centre.
these players however, will hop back into the 15s fold as soon as the world cup is near. so expect them to put their hands up for the fall tour.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
The game has been growing and growing seemingly in spite of USAR the past few years but the Eagles (7s and 15s) being on fucking rollerskates at the moment is not helping the cause at all.

Any ideas on what made the 7s team so inconsistent this past season? More often than not, it seemed to take them a half before they snapped to, and then they showed they could hang with most teams but had such a high hill to climb they'd fall just a couple points short. Zach Test and Nick Edwards almost always looked class, and Madison Hughes looks real promising.

It'd be good to see them play a first half as strongly as their second halves. Maybe then they'd get out of the bottom third of the ladder.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Your backs are just literal streets ahead of the Eagles' backs right now in terms of functioning as an attacking unit. It's really chalk and cheese between the two groups in that regard.

You guys are developing steadily into a very good squad and I had a great time catching some of the tests between Canada and Fiji, etc last summer. The Canadian side plays a simple but effective and attack-oriented style that's really a good time to watch overall.

Heh. I'm originally from Wisconsin (Baja Canada), but feel the same way about Canadian rugby.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Zack Test is the probably the best rugby player in the USA (often voted in the IRB Sevens dream team), yet has never been with the 15s team. It can't be because the 7s skills don't cross-over - just look at Canada who beats us in both codes!

At least nine of the players who lined out for Canada against Japan also played or are playing sevens for Canada -- James Pritchard, Ciaran Hearn, Taylor Paris, Harry Jones, Adam Kleeberger, John Moonlight, Phil Mack, Connor Braid and DTH. (I'm probably missing some.)

That kind of integration seems to be really working for Canada, and has to help develop players whose exposure to high-level rugby would otherwise be much more limited at the club level. The USA could learn something from their hat.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With Carlin Isles playing in Europe now, does that mean he is no longer available for national duty for USA Eagles or USA 7's?

He certainly draws attention to himself in Rugby 7's with his pace, while his defence is a little light on. This will only improve with time in the game.

Has anyone seen him play in 15's? Is there space on the field for him to make an impact when the pitch is more crowded?

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
Carlin can play for the Eagles, if chosen. He has it in his Glasgow contract to be released.

He has played a bit of 15s, scored a try on his debut for Ayr, but it was disallowed from a knock-on.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
According to Ted Hardy the NRFL were active in Houston this past weekend culminating with their rep talking about the league on local radio. It appears that Houston may be the first franchise off the block. Another 5 or so and they may have something to get off the ground.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Teams for the CAN vs SCO game.

SCOTLAND
15 Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors); 21 caps, 5 tries, 25 points
14 Sean Maitland (Glasgow Warriors); 10 caps, 1 try, 5 points
13 Sean Lamont (Glasgow Warriors); 87 caps, 12 tries, 60 points
12 Peter Horne (Glasgow Warriors); 2 caps
11 Tim Visser (Edinburgh Rugby); 13 caps, 7 tries, 35 points

10 Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors); 1 cap
9 Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN (Gloucester); 30 caps, 3 tries, 254 points

1 Gordon Reid (Glasgow Warriors); 1 cap
2 Scott Lawson (Newcastle Falcons); 44 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
3 Moray Low (Exeter Chiefs); 27 caps
4 Richie Gray (Castres); 39, 1 try, 5 points
5 Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby); 5 caps
6 Alasdair Strokosch (USA Perpignan); 39 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
7 Kelly Brown (Saracens); 63 caps, 4 tries, 20 points
8 Johnnie Beattie (Castres); 31 tries, 3 tries, 15 points

Substitutes
16 Kevin Bryce (Glasgow Warriors), uncapped
17 Kyle Traynor (Bristol Rugby); 4 caps
18 Geoff Cross (London Irish); 29 caps, 1 try, 5 points
19 Kieran Low (London Irish); 2 cap
20 Blair Cowan (London Irish); 1 cap
21 Grayson Hart (Edinburgh Rugby); uncapped
22 Ruaridh Jackson (London Waps); 24 caps, 18 points
23 Max Evans (Castres); 43 caps, 3 tries, 15 points

CANADA

1. Hubert Buydens – (Manawatu Turbos/Prairie Wolf Pack) Saskatoon, SK
2. Aaron Carpenter – (Cornish Pirates RFC) Brantford, ON
3. Jason Marshall – (Atlantique Stade Rochelais) Vancouver, BC
4. Tyler Hotson – (London Scottish RFC) Vancouver, BC
5. Jamie Cudmore – (ASM Clermont Auvergne) Squamish, BC
6. Jebb Sinclair – (London Irish/Atlantic Rock) Fredericton, NB
7. John Moonlight – (James Bay AA/Ontario Blues) Pickering, ON
8. Tyler Ardron – Captain (Ospreys/Ontario Blues) Lakefield, ON
9. Phil Mack – (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC
10. Harry Jones – (Capilanos RFC/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC
11. Taylor Paris – (SU Agen Lot-et-Garonne) Barrie, ON
12. Nick Blevins – (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB
13. Ciaran Hearn – (Castaway Wanderers/Atlantic Rock) Conception Bay South, NL
14. Jeff Hassler – (Ospreys/Prairie Wolf Pack) Okotoks, AB
15, James Pritchard – (Bedford Blues) Parkes, NSW, Australia
16. Ray Barkwill – (Niagara Wasps RFC/Ontario Blues) Niagara Falls, ON
17. Andrew Tiedemann – (Castaway Wanderers/Prairie Wolf Pack) St. Albert, AB
18. Jake Ilnicki – (Castaway Wanderers/BC Bears) Williams Lake, BC
19. Kyle Gilmour – (Saint Albert RFC/Prairie Wolf Pack) Saint Albert, AB?
20. Jon Phelan – (Castaway Wanderers/Atlantic Rock) Montreal, QC (Quade Cooper)
21. Gordon McRorie – (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB
22. Connor Braid – (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC
23. DTH van der Merwe – (Glasgow Warriors) Regina, SK

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Canada lost 19-17 in front of 19,000 fans
Canada had a penalty within the 22 with 4 minutes remaining - then it
Got
Reversed and jebb Sinclair was given a red card! Not sure what happened but we would've won the game but for that.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Not seen it either.

Reports were that we were embarrassingly bad, with experienced blokes having shockers, especially Laidlaw, Lamont, and Kelly Brown.

And I've not seen any match report call the reversal controversial yet, which they do for just about everything, suggesting it may have been warranted.

But all respect to the Canadians, but, Scotland are undoubtedly the best tier 2 Nation in the world :(

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
If you read the reactions of people who were watching the match on other forums it seems the red card was a ridiculous decision. A lot of people saying it was a penalty at most or not even a penalty.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Read about 3 or 4 match threads, and I've seen lots of "it wasn't a red, maybe a yellow" or along those lines, but not many who thought it wasn't a penalty.

Anyway, it's not as if I'm happy about it. It was the sort of game that we should have lost, and we would have got more out of a loss than a win.

Harv

Herbert Moran (7)
I thought it was a penalty, but it certainly didn't warrant a red. (Attacking player lifted his arm and leg in tandem as he tried to break the tackle, connected in an ugly way with Scottish defender's head -- it was unfortunate but a stretch to say it was a deliberate elbow to the head which I think the ref ruled). I'd have to watch again, but I think the video official tried to talk the ref off the ledge -- he wouldn't have it. Was unfortunate as Canada deserved a shot at winning it. They are a good side, the sevens influence gives them an attacking spark lacking in many second tier sides. Their 10 is an exceptional linkman. Scots were horrible as usual. Size and potential but low skill level for a Tier One side. The USA-Japan game was entertaining in front of what looked like about 47 people in California. Yanks better than last week, but the absence of a scrum and overall structure cost them. Japan played into their hands at times by spinning it too early -- they dominated through the middle. USA's 8 Cam Dolan is a likely lad and Manoa is a unit, though his work rate seems less than it should be. Can't fault Todd Clever's endeavor but around the fringes the Eagles were fried. American bench made a difference late when the game was gone. Reckon Canada deserves 20 point favoritism against USA in next game ... Looking forward to seeing Japan's continued development. Eddie Jones has got them playing a nice brand of footy.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Looking forward to seeing Japan's continued development. Eddie Jones has got them playing a nice brand of footy.

Japan really are becoming quite a decent team. Even their scrum is pretty good now. If they can blunt Italy up front next week they should win.

Would love to see the Wallabies play Japan on the way over to Europe like the All Blacks did last year.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Any ideas on what made the 7s team so inconsistent this past season? More often than not, it seemed to take them a half before they snapped to, and then they showed they could hang with most teams but had such a high hill to climb they'd fall just a couple points short. Zach Test and Nick Edwards almost always looked class, and Madison Hughes looks real promising.

It'd be good to see them play a first half as strongly as their second halves. Maybe then they'd get out of the bottom third of the ladder.

Well, one of the best 7s coaches left pretty abruptly (Alex Magleby) and that's just never easy to recover from. What happened after his departure did not help us on the road to recovery, though.

The appointment of Matt Hawkins as player-coach following Magleby's departure was just shockingly poor decision making by the administration. The Eagles struggled hugely following his appointment. Who would have thought?..

Appointing a current/former player with limited coaching experience and either very, very little/absolutely no Elite 7s coaching experience and then making him a player-coach for the national 7s team..there just aren't words to describe that sort of logic.

Seems like they've been recovering since then a bit (Test has developed into one of the best players in 7s - love watching him represent skinny blokes worldwide) but to be completely honest when they started looking like a High School team under Hawkins I stopped actively following them.

Between The Reds, Wallabies, 15s Eagle and 7s Eagles there just wasn't enough time to catch all of them.

@SevensPHD can probably give you a much more informed assessment of the team over the past 12-18mos.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I thought it was a penalty, but it certainly didn't warrant a red. (Attacking player lifted his arm and leg in tandem as he tried to break the tackle, connected in an ugly way with Scottish defender's head -- it was unfortunate but a stretch to say it was a deliberate elbow to the head which I think the ref ruled). I'd have to watch again, but I think the video official tried to talk the ref off the ledge -- he wouldn't have it. Was unfortunate as Canada deserved a shot at winning it. They are a good side, the sevens influence gives them an attacking spark lacking in many second tier sides. Their 10 is an exceptional linkman. Scots were horrible as usual. Size and potential but low skill level for a Tier One side. The USA-Japan game was entertaining in front of what looked like about 47 people in California. Yanks better than last week, but the absence of a scrum and overall structure cost them. Japan played into their hands at times by spinning it too early -- they dominated through the middle. USA's 8 Cam Dolan is a likely lad and Manoa is a unit, though his work rate seems less than it should be. Can't fault Todd Clever's endeavor but around the fringes the Eagles were fried. American bench made a difference late when the game was gone. Reckon Canada deserves 20 point favoritism against USA in next game . Looking forward to seeing Japan's continued development. Eddie Jones has got them playing a nice brand of footy.

you can see the play in question on rugbydump.com . it's definitely not a red card and honestly i don't think it's a penalty at all. it's unfortunate that sinclair caught the ball around his ankles and began to upright himself to try and bash through the tackle by a fellow in jackson who is only 8 apples high. the result was jebb rising as jackson was getting low for the tackle and they collided at that point.
terrible call in my opinion and robbed canada of a shot at a major win for them.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Apparently they sold over 30,000 tickets for the USA vs All Blacks match on the first day of sale. The capacity of the stadium is 61,500 so seems like a high chance of a sell out given the match is 4 and a half months away.

That's huge for American rugby, but given they were beaten reasonably comfortably by both Scotland and Japan recently, I think the NZRU should send over some coaches to help them out in the lead up. A 40-50 point loss with a couple of US tries would be okay...but a scoreline like 80-3 wouldn't be good for anyone.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
That 30,000 is on top of tbe pre-registered tickets that were released on Sunday. Not sure how many of those were sold but 30,000+ sold 4 1/2 months ahead of the game is great. Could be a watershed moment for USA Rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.