• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

USA and Canadian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Either way I'm glad he has, the more opportunities that athletes in the US see in Rugby Union the better. Whilst his core rugby skills weren't the greatest he was a very well know player of the US 7's team so people will be tracking his progress.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Either way I'm glad he has, the more opportunities that athletes in the US see in Rugby Union the better. Whilst his core rugby skills weren't the greatest he was a very well know player of the US 7's team so people will be tracking his progress.

There have actually been a number of recent US players to receive pro contracts. Six or so in the last fortnight.

yeahmate

Peter Burge (5)
Good article interviewing CEO of USA Rugby Nigel Melvillle

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...e-of-americas-rugby-union-with-nigel-melville

most interesting parts of the article:
"I'd like to think we could improve our existing club competition. Our challenge is geography and money. We've been looking hard at how to create a domestic semi-pro league. Can we create it? I think we can, it's been getting closer every year, and I think you'll see such a competition in America, within the next five years." - Nigel Melville

Also talks about USA trying to get into Super Rugby via a Pacific Conference with Canada and Japan

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
At least he is acknowledging the biggest weakness in USA Rugby. BUt yes.. hot air at the moment.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Just out of curiosity has anyone on the forum personally or had any friends play any Rugby in the US ? And if yes what clubs? Curious to hear about the club competition over there and the standard, and how far they may be off from having a fully professional competition? Seems like there are plenty of Aussies over there or that have been over there

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just out of curiosity has anyone on the forum personally or had any friends play any Rugby in the US ? And if yes what clubs? Curious to hear about the club competition over there and the standard, and how far they may be off from having a fully professional competition? Seems like there are plenty of Aussies over there or that have been over there
USARugger is the resident American who plays college or club Rugby if I recall?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)

Yup! For a couple years now :D

Started playing my senior year of secondary school for Doylestown U-19 (2008-2009). Since then I've played the bulk of my rugby for Temple University Men's Rugby (2009-2012) with scattered games for Doylestown Men's as well as a few invitational sides and 7s stuff. I'm currently on an indefinite sabbatical due to a pretty nasty back injury (stress fractures in my lower back and a few herniated discs to boot). I've got connections at both of the major local Men's clubs (Media and Schuylkill River Exiles) and will be out with SRE if and when I'm able to play again. At the moment I'm helping coach Unionville High School, former (and future!) Pennsylvania state champs.

I'm very far down the road to recovery (pretty much no pain and at most minor discomfort in lower back/hamstrings in day-to-day) but I'm still having issues with the way my back is responding to training and weights, so not totally sure if I will ever be able to make the step back up to playing full-contact Men's rugby again. Time will tell I guess. Anyway, back on topic.

The only areas I can really speak about with confidence are the Mid-Atlantic and California, as well as the Northeast to a slightly lesser degree. My knowledge of Midwest and South teams is pretty cursory. I think @Workingclassrugger and @SevensPHD may have some insight there, though.

In the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast there are a handful of quality clubs (NYAC, Old Blue, SRE, PAC, Marlyland Exiles, Boston Irish Wolfhounds off the top of my head - don't take that as a complete list because it's not even close). But even within those clubs there absolutely are tiers, with NYAC resting pretty comfortably on top of the dog pile right now. The further north you go up the coast the more likely you're going to see European-style play due to the weather. NYAC plays with a lot of structure but execute very well on those structures. This seemingly has not translated all too well to the Eagles (current Head Coach and halfback pairing are from NYAC) but that's a whole different story (Shaun Davies at 9 and we beat the Maori All Blacks comfortably..don't get me started).

I have the most internal knowledge of Schuylkill River and they are definitely the prototype for what a lot of amateur clubs in the USA should be moving towards. Excellent coaching with a deep understanding of the game, playing with an attacking mindset on both sides of the ball, a very dedicated playing group who are hungry to win titles and improve themselves as players/athletes, and an emerging coaching structure beyond the training sessions themselves (S&C coach, nutrition stuff, etc). It's still very much amateur but they are really on the right path as far as I've been able to identify.

Weather does hinder skill development at times though, especially when you consider how late in life many players begin playing (this is changing though, high schools are starting to pick up the sport more than ever before). When you can't play for 4-5 months of the year it does make it difficult to achieve the proper volume of game exposure for some of the guys.

California, Washington, Utah and Colorado are the future of the game in the United States right now and I'm very pleased with the way things are shaping up out there. The Pacific Rugby Premiership is in the middle of it's first season and has produced some very good games to far. Some of the players are being paid (so I've heard, likely on Shute Shield level but this is a huge step up relatively) and most importantly, the competition is being run outside of the jurisdiction of USA Rugby.

This match (video below is just highlights) gives you a good taste of the skill level of some of the teams in the PRP, definitely not up to higher-level Australian clubs yet but I think it's higher than most foreigners would expect:

USAR does some things well, but running and supporting the club competitions has never been one of them.

As much as I would like to bury Nigel Melville and most of the executive staff of USA Rugby alive things on the whole are looking upward for rugby here. The emergence of elite 7s programs (hey, it's a start folks) like Serevi (although they operate through USAR they have done a ton of really great work) and Tiger Rugby amongst others (Atlantis Rugby comes to mind) is another shining light in the USA Rugby scene. They're doing a ton in terms of developing players from a young age and exposing them to an elite training environment. It might be 7s but honestly I don't think it's doing anything to detract from the growth of the 15s game right now. If anything, it's having the opposite effect.

I'm worried about what will happen if we don't qualify for the Rio Olympics, as there is a very real chance of this happening.

On the whole, we've gone from crawling to making baby steps in the past 5-10 years as rugby-playing nation. A few tweaks and we could be walking on our own soon. As long as we keep moving forward, I will be happy.

Reactions: FTS

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Where did he mention the USA Rugby organization in there?
"I'd like to think we could improve our existing club competition. Our challenge is geography and money. We've been looking hard at how to create a domestic semi-pro league.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)

I coached in the Elite Cup/D1 last two years. Standard is good - the top top teams in Elite Cup would compete in the Premier competitions around Australia . Probably not quite the standard of the Sydney Premier Competition - but definitely close to the QLD Premier Competition . San Fransisco Golden Gate are the bench mark of the USA Rugby probably right now , they are current Elite Cup Champs from last year and to give you an idea - they played Tonga last year and lost 55-10 while Tonga were Touring through . (other top teams are OPSB, Life University and from Colorado, Glendale , Denver Barbarians - despite the fact they are having a rough start to the PRP) .

They definitely have the players to have a professional league - as already mention previously the problem is in the way the competition is set up with such a fragmented system - also the funding just isnt there to match it with the other big sports there. Hopefully the olympics will change that .

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I think breaking off and fragmenting is actually the right way to go right now. We simply have geographical issues that other second-tier nations do not have to contend with. Starting a geographically-local elite league on the West coast was definitely the right way to go.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
absolutely - in the current climate of amature clubs being expected to run on a professional budget its the way to go to bring everyone together closer geographically. now the east has to do the same. Then the top teams can play off..

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
I played with BYU (96-98) at Uni then Belmont Shore (1998-2001) and Tempe/Red Mountain (01-06) due to a career move to Arizona. Rep rugby with SoCal Griffins and PacCoast Grizzlies. Belmont Shore could compete with lower teams in the Brisbane comp.

I just interviewed Alex Magleby (new USAR Development Director), and he sees USAR implementing a city-based HP system, where you can play for your Uni/club and get additional coaching/competition with the city team. The 12-16 'city' teams would compete against each other. It would be similar to the NZ model of club-province-Super Rugby-All Blacks but be club-city-NA4/6-Eagles.

It is also similar to what AUS is headed towards, play for club or Uni (Easts/SFGG or Cal), then be selected for NRC/City team (Brisbane/San Fran) for a short season after club competition was finished. Of course, Australia has the Super Rugby Level during club season, and the USA would look to a NA4-type top level possibly after the City competition. The sticky point is finding room in the rugby calendar with USA's winter weather as a huge limitation. Well, the biggest limitation is getting all the local clubs and regions to agree on a system!

The first step of the city-based system (in both 7s and 15s) is the city 7s this June: http://usarugby.org/club-news/item/...urnament-to-produce-world-club-7s-participant

I am also a fan of the Pacific Premiership, I just hope it can sustain itself. It will be interesting to see how the PacPrem teams fit into the city-based HP system.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Question: if other sports in America (college basketball and football, senior basketball and football and ice hockey, etc.) have, mostly geographical, conferences why can't rugby do something similar? Just askin'.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Question: if other sports in America (college basketball and football, senior basketball and football and ice hockey, etc.) have, mostly geographical, conferences why can't rugby do something similar? Just askin'.

Club Conferences are based on geography. For example, I've played almost all my rugby in the Mid-Atlantic conference.

The city system would be a step above the clubs and would, by the sounds of things, effectively take the place of our now-defunct geographical rep sides.

Ie: I could play for my club in the Mid-Atlantic conference for my club against local teams and also play for the Philadelphia side in a higher level of competition.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

They sort of have in the past with the Rugby Super League and in a way the PRP is another attempt at it. The issue is as it always has been money.

That said, the set up of the 12 City-based squads for the qualification to the World Club 7s is the first steps to building something more meaningful in terms of competition in the US.

I've been keeping an eye on the PRP and watched as much footage as possible (if you want to see a web stream look to the Glendale Raptors site) and while the standard is good it's really not of a significantly high enough level to really develop the game in the US. There are some good athletes but they are mixed with blokes who would only make 3rd grade in the Sydney comp or make decent enough subbies players.

They need their best playing with and against their best on a consistent basis.

Using the city-based model they could establish a very near Shute Shield quality competition fairly immediately and build from their. AS ExISA the talent is there and even better (in that they've played the game longer and are more what we'd consider life long players) talent in emerging (the top college programs are often at the very least competitive against top club teams with a number better than the current PRP squads) thanks to an exploding youth base.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
For any of you night owls/early birds two of the best college programs in the country are playing right now, live:

Status
Not open for further replies.