• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

VRU 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

philsale

I agree with you completely but the issue is Uni (on current standings) will be relegated. Now, Uni have a long spanning history of contributing to Vic rugby, are usually a top 6 contender in prems, have the numbers to easily field 4 grades, tend to have an excellent colts program, and are situated off Macathur Rd (which is such a key transportation route for those working in the city/east and living in the west). Relegating them would be bad for the league, but to not relegate would be unfair to the other clubs.

Currently we wouldn't have enough guys training regularly for a consistent 4ths team, en_force_er. It is that part of the Paul Gascoigne memo that really smarts - we could be cut from the competition because of:
a) lack of stable 4ths and
b) the current form of our 1sts - admittedly, we are having an absolute Barry Crocker this year.

I believe that a well-sorted Colts programme is much more important than fielding a fourth grade, and if the VRU are looking to consolidate, that should be one of their primary criteria for keeping a club in the comp. I am not saying that simply because our Colts are playing well. More so because there are a hell of a lot of younger guys, particularly in the tight 5, that I wouldn't want to see going straight from schoolboy comps to Grade. They have talent and are ripe for development, but some of them just aren't built for Grade straight out of school - give them somewhere to foster their skills, become a little less scrawny, and level their heads - lets call it 'Colts'. If a club is dedicated to the development of young players, they should have a Colts squad. There would also be less disincentive to clubs putting together a Colts team if the VRU would re-organise the scheduling of games such that Colts play in a geographically-similar location to the rest of the club. Not only does this make it easier for Colts to get some Grade time, but cuts down on a lot of resource duplication. A lot of clubs take their colts to games with no medical support, which I think is a major issue. It becomes a non-issue if they are playing 50m away from the Grade sides.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Currently we wouldn't have enough guys training regularly for a consistent 4ths team, en_force_er. It is that part of the Paul Gascoigne memo that really smarts - we could be cut from the competition because of:
a) lack of stable 4ths and
b) the current form of our 1sts - admittedly, we are having an absolute Barry Crocker this year.

I believe that a well-sorted Colts programme is much more important than fielding a fourth grade, and if the VRU are looking to consolidate, that should be one of their primary criteria for keeping a club in the comp. I am not saying that simply because our Colts are playing well. More so because there are a hell of a lot of younger guys, particularly in the tight 5, that I wouldn't want to see going straight from schoolboy comps to Grade. They have talent and are ripe for development, but some of them just aren't built for Grade straight out of school - give them somewhere to foster their skills, become a little less scrawny, and level their heads - lets call it 'Colts'. If a club is dedicated to the development of young players, they should have a Colts squad. There would also be less disincentive to clubs putting together a Colts team if the VRU would re-organise the scheduling of games such that Colts play in a geographically-similar location to the rest of the club. Not only does this make it easier for Colts to get some Grade time, but cuts down on a lot of resource duplication. A lot of clubs take their colts to games with no medical support, which I think is a major issue. It becomes a non-issue if they are playing 50m away from the Grade sides.

I'm sure with trends towards growth in playing numbers and the fact Uni is already big means that they'll be able to field a 4th grades sooner rather than later.

I agree with you that emphasis has to be placed on Colts and I think they had a policy in place for years that said that if you don't 3 senior teams and a colts, you get the boot from Prems. They never enforced this policy and I doubt they'll enforce the 4 grade policy either.

Also I wouldn't be worried if I was a Uni backer, they're too valuable to Victorian rugby to play anywhere but first grade. However, if things don't lift the next couple of years it will be a different matter.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
I'm sure with trends towards growth in playing numbers and the fact Uni is already big means that they'll be able to field a 4th grades sooner rather than later.

I agree with you that emphasis has to be placed on Colts and I think they had a policy in place for years that said that if you don't 3 senior teams and a colts, you get the boot from Prems. They never enforced this policy and I doubt they'll enforce the 4 grade policy either.

Also I wouldn't be worried if I was a Uni backer, they're too valuable to Victorian rugby to play anywhere but first grade. However, if things don't lift the next couple of years it will be a different matter.

No team would ever want to go down, and it's going to be pretty hard to decide and then inform those clubs that they are. If it were my club then I'd be asking for a full explanation to members as to why.

There also seems to be a lot of speculation as to what is potentially going to happen, has anyone asked their club's committee what has been relayed from the VRU (apart from Paul @ Moorabbin)??

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Well Quins were top last year after round 9 and House were 4th or 5th IIRC. Quins then lost 6 in a row and House won 8 out of the last 9. They needed extra time to get past Souths in the semi as well.

One win for your team and another team near you on the ladder losing and all of a sudden you could jump 2-3 spots. I think the closeness of 2-7 is really great, it means that we will have a high quality standard across the board.

PH turned around the half way last season in 7th or 8th, lost 1 game out of their last 11, then were humped by Melbourne in the GF, Quins just lost the half way cup to Melb then had a very poor second half to end up 3rd, lost in week 1 of the finals and it was all over.

This year is tight, there is a 7 team break away, but boroondara are improving and EH have beaten both PH and Quins...fairly even aside from Melb and all games are an improve from previous years. Going to be a tight race in the next 10 games!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
No team would ever want to go down, and it's going to be pretty hard to decide and then inform those clubs that they are. If it were my club then I'd be asking for a full explanation to members as to why.

There also seems to be a lot of speculation as to what is potentially going to happen, has anyone asked their club's committee what has been relayed from the VRU (apart from Paul @ Moorabbin)??

In the past the VRU has shafted clubs pretty hard and sometimes it's been for the best. Best example is Footscray, they weren't up to it in 2009 and they were shafted. At the time they felt the reasoning presented wasn't up to scratch but since then they've got it together and have been raising eyebrows for the last 2 seasons.

No clue what's actually happening just tidbits of info from here and there. I think the VRU are expanding so quickly decisions are being made on the run, somebody on here said that Prems 4 was only decided on a week out from official competition.

This year is tight, there is a 7 team break away, but boroondara are improving and EH have beaten both PH and Quins.fairly even aside from Melb and all games are an improve from previous years. Going to be a tight race in the next 10 games!

I'd really like to see how Melbourne would go against some of the lower ranked Shute Shield and Hospital Cup clubs, I think it'd be competitive.

Melb didn't play full strength clubs on their preseason tour but they weren't full strength either, I'm led to believe.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
I'd really like to see how Melbourne would go against some of the lower ranked Shute Shield and Hospital Cup clubs, I think it'd be competitive.

Melb didn't play full strength clubs on their preseason tour but they weren't full strength either, I'm led to believe.

IIRC they sent up 8-10 development players and then the rest were most of the 1st grade from last year.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
PH turned around the half way last season in 7th or 8th, lost 1 game out of their last 11, then were humped by Melbourne in the GF, Quins just lost the half way cup to Melb then had a very poor second half to end up 3rd, lost in week 1 of the finals and it was all over.
They didn't just lose the halfway cup. They kept kicking it to Melbourne's 8 who ran it back all game long and made huge metres. They should've kept it in hand slowed the tempo down but instead they tried to keep on par with Melbourne and when you try and do that you are always going to lose.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
IIRC they sent up 8-10 development players and then the rest were most of the 1st grade from last year.

Yeah but were they the best first graders? An average club would run 30 1st graders in a year.

I would be surprised if the numbers of 1st graders V developement players weren't similar to what the Qld clubs were fielding.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
No fixtures this weekend.

However, the VIC U18 boys are playing at Fawkner Park. K/O is 12pm

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Round 9 games

Box Hill v Footscray: Will be good, Box Hill need the win to start moving up the ladder and a couple more losses and you would think they miss out on a finals spot. Footscray need the win to really cement their place in the top 6.

Melbourne v Sth Districts: By far the 2 form teams of the year, Melbourne are looking at really turning the screws on this game and looking for a big win. Souths will look to be able to stay with Melbourne in tempo and on the scoresheet which is where all other teams have failed this year.

Boroondara v Moorabbin: Usually a cracker of a game, traditional rivals and this is always full of feeling. Moorabbin should be too strong, but you cannot rule out the Redbacks in this fixture.

Harlequin v Pwr House: Arguably game of the round, two close teams who will be desperate for the win.

End Hills v Melb Uni: Two teams struggling for wins this year although because of that both of them will be looking for the win to try and avoid the wooden spoon. I would think Endeavour should get up but Uni's forward pack is pretty good when they keep it tight. Endeavour's number 7 will be key at the breakdown.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Was against South Australia. Vics won 72-0 I think.

Shesh, kind of a why bother scoreline.

Still, since the Combined States side only picks from NSW3 and Qld3 now I'd love to see if the Vics could bring one or 2 of SA's best to the U18 schools tournament each year. It would do us no harm to get SA under the Rebels banner.

Vinnie Munro to ref Quins vs House. Then TMO Australia vs Wales that night.

Yeah I heard about that, wonder how it came about.

Round 9 games

Box Hill v Footscray: Will be good, Box Hill need the win to start moving up the ladder and a couple more losses and you would think they miss out on a finals spot. Footscray need the win to really cement their place in the top 6.

Melbourne v Sth Districts: By far the 2 form teams of the year, Melbourne are looking at really turning the screws on this game and looking for a big win. Souths will look to be able to stay with Melbourne in tempo and on the scoresheet which is where all other teams have failed this year.

Boroondara v Moorabbin: Usually a cracker of a game, traditional rivals and this is always full of feeling. Moorabbin should be too strong, but you cannot rule out the Redbacks in this fixture.

Harlequin v Pwr House: Arguably game of the round, two close teams who will be desperate for the win.

End Hills v Melb Uni: Two teams struggling for wins this year although because of that both of them will be looking for the win to try and avoid the wooden spoon. I would think Endeavour should get up but Uni's forward pack is pretty good when they keep it tight. Endeavour's number 7 will be key at the breakdown.

I've always wondered about the Boorondara/Moorabin rivalry, in my involvement with Vic Rugby the Rams have always been better by quite a margin.

Uni and Endeavour are far behind the comp in terms of performance but not in terms of player talent, hopefully one of them picks up their game.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Yeah I heard about that, wonder how it came about.

VRRA have always had a good relationship with the IRB refs, they manage to get a few through each year to run training or seminars.

To have an IRB ref take a game down here is a huge indicator of the growing quality of the league and its referees.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Quins 27 House 12
Melbourne 29 Souths 20
End Hills 38 Uni 18
Moorabbin 36 Boroondara 8
Footscray beat Box Hill but I don't know the score.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
I got to the Quins game.

Quins dominated for 50-60 minutes and then Power House decided to start playing and did well for the last 20 but couldn't come back the 20 points there were behind.

You?

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
MELBOURNE AND MOORABBIN - HAROLD MITCHELL CUP
The first half of the season for the Dewar Shield has been completed. The top two sides are undefeated Melbourne and Moorabbin who came through to grab 2nd place with a percentage boosting win over Boroondara. South’s, which had held 2nd place up to Round 8, lost to Melbourne, narrowly missing out on a bonus point which would have retained 2nd place for them.
Melbourne and Moorabbin will now compete for the Harold Mitchell Cup, which is the half-way Premiership, to be played as the Curtain Raiser to the Rebels v Reds match at AAMI Park on Friday 29 June. This the second year of the Harold Mitchell Cup, named after the Chairman of the Melbourne Rebels, who will be present to present the Trophy to the winning team. In 2011 Melbourne defeated Harlequin in a tremendous game to be the inaugural winner.
The Harold Mitchell Cup match remains a competition match and it brings together the two teams as part of the fixturing for the second half of the season. To allow this to proceed the VRU will switch Round 11 with Round 14 for all matches in each grade. Moorabbin will host Melbourne in the lower grades on Saturday 30 June

Status
Not open for further replies.