• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

VRU 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
P1 results from the weekend...

Box Hill 27 - Harlequin 26
House 29 - Boroondara 22
Foots - 14 Souths 28
Uni 10 - Melb 58
End Hills 14 - Moorabbin 35

3 Rebels playing, Byrnes for House, Camberlain for Boroondara and Lloyd for BH.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Some very interesting reading from the Moorabbin Rugby Website.

VRU Premier 4 team

A Premier 4 team is a VRU requirement from next year for all clubs wishing to remain in Premier Division.

Any current Premier Clubs(10) who fail to field 4 Premier teams (Colts is not a Premier Team) will move to 2nd Division and will field 2 teams only plus Colts and Juniors. 3rd Grade will no longer exist at those clubs that get demoted.

It is fundamentally important that we get this grade up and running this year, I know the 3pm kickoff time is not allowing a transition from the 3rds finishing time. We will push for a change next year.

The rules to be put in place for 3rd Grade Selection:
  • Subs paid
  • Train 2 nights
  • 1st or 2nds players sent down
  • Train 1 night weekly & up for selection

4th Grade Selection:
  • Not Selected in 3rds
  • Subs not paid in full
  • Unable to train
  • Turn up on the day

Regards,

Paul Gascoigne
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/moorabbinrugbyunionfootballclub/news/vru-premier-4-team-576902.html

Very interesting, my response is mixed.

Whilst I applaud the aims to grow the premier clubs and expect a higher standard from them, what would this do to say Souths/Moorabin/Endeavour's ability to field a Colts? I think 3 Grades + Colts has to be the target for Prems (with an optional 4th grade) not the other way around.

Not to mention, won't a club like Boorondara have a right to cry foul if they get demoted when say Souths will probably only have 3 grades (plus Cerberus).

Also, it seems it would be strange to not accept a 3rds from a club that has the right numbers, why make a club give 15 less players a run a week. The jump from being a 2 team 2nd Div club to a 4 team Prems club would be ridiculously hard to manage. Seems like clubs will go down and never really stand a chance of coming back up.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Wonder if they'll add any requirements to Div 2?

Eg. how Ballarat and Warrnambool play suburban teams.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Wonder if they'll add any requirements to Div 2?

Eg. how Ballarat and Warrnambool play suburban teams.

If Norths and Wyndham can find the players for a 2nd Grade (which you'd imagine they'd be on the verge of), 2 Prems teams of 2 grades drop down, and Eltham and Geelong already have 2 grades you could start a seperate comp.

Call it 2nd Div and have it run 2 grades, drop the 1 team clubs down and create a 3rd Division.

Just a thought, no real reason to do it but just a thought.

R

Rolfie

I have been reading the forum since the start of the year and have noticed that there is some who don't like that Cerberus play P3 for Souths. As the club captain at Cerberus this leaves me bewildered. We have a proud tradition with the VRU and the arraingment with Souths is mutually benifitting with players and infastructure support. So why is this a point of concern to some?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I have been reading the forum since the start of the year and have noticed that there is some who don't like that Cerberus play P3 for Souths. As the club captain at Cerberus this leaves me bewildered. We have a proud tradition with the VRU and the arraingment with Souths is mutually benifitting with players and infastructure support. So why is this a point of concern to some?

I think it's mostly me and I certainly have nothing against Cerberus or Souths, I particularly acknowledge that Souths have turned around a bad couple of years in 08-09 and became an excellent, consistent finals threat.

The issue, to me, is that you need 3 teams to play Prems, it's a requirement. There are usually 2 or 3 clubs each year that battle each week to make up those 3 teams (soon to be 4 teams for Prems if you read the post above). But Souths never have to.

Now, there are plenty of good reasons for the Souths and Cerberus set-up, but the reality is it would be unfair if in 2013 a club is moved down for not having 4 teams, when I very much doubt Souths will be able to field 4 teams.

R

Rolfie

The geographical location would have played a large part in the beginning of this agreement, which is not a season by season proposition I am lead to belive. We are a part of Souths but we have been allowed to keep our identity, for which we are extremely grateful. Maybe this is a model to strengthen other clubs to ensure that player numbers don't cause some to be relegated as they are good enough to compete at the P1,2 level but don't have massive amounts of personnel.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The geographical location would have played a large part in the beginning of this agreement, which is not a season by season proposition I am lead to belive. We are a part of Souths but we have been allowed to keep our identity, for which we are extremely grateful. Maybe this is a model to strengthen other clubs to ensure that player numbers don't cause some to be relegated as they are good enough to compete at the P1,2 level but don't have massive amounts of personnel.

I understand that Souths has geographical issues and that they should be in Prems based on the quality of their Seniors and the fact they have a good Junior set-up.

However, I'm led to believe that other clubs aren't aloud access to a similar model (Footscray was dropped from the league after '09 for not having the playing numbers, remember their partnership with Wyndham?). Also, there are plenty of leagues of a similar quality to P3, I'd suggest Cerberus would be competitive in 2A and would be out and out the winner in 2B.

So the issue isn't the model of your two club set-up, and I understand the reasoning behind it. The issue is that this model isn't available to other clubs, I'm sure E.Hills who are also situated in the outer suburbs have to do a massive ring-around on a Friday night to make up their 3rds and wish they had a similar arrangement.

Anyway it's not that huge of an issue and now that Souths are geting a 3rds together to play in Prems 4 I think that'll be how the club will work going forward.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I understand that Souths has geographical issues and that they should be in Prems based on the quality of their Seniors and the fact they have a good Junior set-up.

However, I'm led to believe that other clubs aren't aloud access to a similar model (Footscray was dropped from the league after '09 for not having the playing numbers, remember their partnership with Wyndham?). Also, there are plenty of leagues of a similar quality to P3, I'd suggest Cerberus would be competitive in 2A and would be out and out the winner in 2B.

So the issue isn't the model of your two club set-up, and I understand the reasoning behind it. The issue is that this model isn't available to other clubs, I'm sure E.Hills who are also situated in the outer suburbs have to do a massive ring-around on a Friday night to make up their 3rds and wish they had a similar arrangement.

Anyway it's not that huge of an issue and now that Souths are geting a 3rds together to play in Prems 4 I think that'll be how the club will work going forward.
I believe Footscray have an arrangement with the Chargers.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
So what happens to the clubs that have more than 4 teams? Example Melbourne have P1-4, colts plus div 2A and 2B...do they have to drop their div 2 teams and just have 4 sides at the club?? Not singling them out as they're probably not the only Prem club that could field more than 4 sides. Is that the fair measuring stick if the 3rd grade is being dropped at the "demoted" clubs?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I believe Footscray have an arrangement with the Chargers.
They did early in 2011 but it fell apart and Footscray ended up fielding a 3rds of their own blokes. Chargers are affiliated with Melbourne now and train with them but they aren't and I don't think they intend to be a team in a proper league.
http://www.melbournechargers.org/

So what happens to the clubs that have more than 4 teams? Example Melbourne have P1-4, colts plus div 2A and 2B...do they have to drop their div 2 teams and just have 4 sides at the club?? Not singling them out as they're probably not the only Prem club that could field more than 4 sides. Is that the fair measuring stick if the 3rd grade is being dropped at the "demoted" clubs?
It doesn't say that anywhere and I strongly doubt they'll make Melbourne field less than the amount of sides that they can.
If they did though it wouldn't be a huge issue, the blokes sitting on the bench for their 4ths might go play for the 4ths of another club that might be struggling. It's wrong that almost every rugby player that wants to play socially but is willing to train ends up at Melbourne. 6 teams when even the other big clubs are putting out 4 is a bit silly. It's not Melbourne's fault, in fact it's a reflection of great work on their part, but it's still silly.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
I doubt anyone would say they can't have that many players, although if that were to happen there are plenty of other clubs in that area for the players who want to move can move to.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Games this week:
Boroondara v Endeavour Hills
Box Hill v Melbourne
Footscray v Melbourne University
Moorabbin v Harlequin
Power House v Southern Districts

Game of the round would have to be Power House v Southern Districts, although Moorabbin v Harlequin should be a cracker as well.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Boroondara V Endeavour is one to watch too as whilst Endeavour are favourites, you would say Kiwis are an outside chance for their first win of the season.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Endeavour looked really good last week when they got quick ball, if they can continue that then they should win it. Also their back 3 are great counter attackers, if Boroondara are able to slow the ball and kick well they will be in with a good chance.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Box Hill, probably the worst Prems ground AND where we stage our finals purely because it has a fence. Ridiculous.

The amount of parking space it has, as well as the natural grandstand of the hill makes it probably the best ground to have it at. No other of the premier grade clubs could cope with the sheer numbers that turn up.

Results from yesterday:
Moorabbin 18 V Harlequin 17
Power House 28 V Southern Districts 5
Boroondara 32 V Endeavour Hills 29
Footscray 15 V Melb Uni 5
Box Hill 7 V Melbourne 32

Ladder after 7 rounds::
Team P W D L F A BP PTS %
1st Melbourne 7 7 287 85 7 35 337.65
2nd Sth Districts 7 5 1 1 173 119 4 26 145.38
3rd Moorabbin 7 5 2 183 146 4 24 125.34
4th Power House 7 4 3 149 102 5 21 146.08