• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

VRU 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
With the VRU wanting teams to provide 3 grades to be in premier division I don't think they will drop any teams until some of the division 2 teams get their numbers up to make the 3 teams. Perhaps we could go back to an 8 club comp again?
There is a bit in the VRU annual report where they express a plan to drop the league down to 8 clubs in either 2013 or 14, but I'm not sure if this is set in concrete.

I think this is the easiest and quickest avenue to having a better quality league. No doubt part of the reason Canberra's league is such good quality is the fact it only has 7 clubs. We have decent talent but it would be nice to have less talent distribution.

Not sure yet, I would like to see him out for Endeavour or Moorabbin, someone like that.
I think Boroondara or Uni would be the most in need of the help, and they're both playing quality opposition.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
There is a bit in the VRU annual report where they express a plan to drop the league down to 8 clubs in either 2013 or 14, but I'm not sure if this is set in concrete.

I think this is the easiest and quickest avenue to having a better quality league. No doubt part of the reason Canberra's league is such good quality is the fact it only has 7 clubs. We have decent talent but it would be nice to have less talent distribution.
It would make sense to do that, however what happens to the players who are hugely talented but play for teams like Endeavour, Uni etc who I don't think would make the premier division.

I think Boroondara or Uni would be the most in need of the help, and they're both playing quality opposition.
Good point, I can't wait to see the Box Hill v Quins game as they are usually blockbusters.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
It would make sense to do that, however what happens to the players who are hugely talented but play for teams like Endeavour, Uni etc who I don't think would make the premier division.
Presumably the ones with higher level aspirations would move clubs, but I doubt Endeavour or Uni are at risk considering Uni have a huge catchment (Uni students & the Northern Suburbs) and Endeavour have improved in seniors and bring so much to the table in juniors.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Kronic and Element Freak, you blokes seem on the ball when it comes to Vic rugby.

I'm incredibly keen to learn why Monash Uni is such a nothing rugby club. Surely, the could and should bring a lot more to the table considering their location and the huge amount of young men and women affiliated with their parent organisation.

Seriously, they should at least have a colts. With huge on campus living population and all.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Kronic and Element Freak, you blokes seem on the ball when it comes to Vic rugby.

I'm incredibly keen to learn why Monash Uni is such a nothing rugby club. Surely, the could and should bring a lot more to the table considering their location and the huge amount of young men and women affiliated with their parent organisation.

Seriously, they should at least have a colts. With huge on campus living population and all.
Whilst I agree with you about them having such a huge number of potential player I am not too sure about them as I have never had anything to do with them before.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Whilst I agree with you about them having such a huge number of potential player I am not too sure about them as I have never had anything to do with them before.
I've never met anybody that has and maybe therein lies the issue.

They just need a ripper of a club manager and they'd be fielding 3 teams in prems with a colts in 5 years.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)

quote]

Canberra's comp is only 7 teams as the population there is only 400k at best. And during the 90s and early 2000's teams were forced to merge due to their lack of numbers. E.g. the 2 Unis joined, then Norths folded and got on board to form the Owls. RMC, ADFA both used to play in the top comp, and there were a handful more junior clubs floating around such as the side based in Yarralumla....they also compete heavily with rugby league as it is a major sport in the Capital/Qbn and surrounding regions.

Best thing that the VRU could do is make a decision and stick to it. Set some criteria and give the clubs 2-3 years to work towards meeting them, not just react on a year by year basis. If they meet the criteria a year out, then you pretty much know who is and isn't going to have a side in the "Premier comp". Giving clubs a short term option, changing things every 2-3 years isn't the way forward. Ideas for criteria could be:

Junior sides (or an affiliation with a junior club) so that a pathways is formed for players
Colts side
3 premier grades (potentially 4 if the way things are going keep up)
Financially viable
Off field structure
Coaching structure

Just my 2 cents......​

kronic

John Solomon (38)

In comparison to say Melb Uni, Monash was established in 1958, opposed to 1853. I'd say this has a huge factor to do with it.

Moving forward, I think you've hit the nail on the head, needs the right people driving it.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Pablo,

I don't think population is relevant, "rugby population" is relevant. I'd say Canberra has a similar or greater "rugby population".

I think the VRU did set rules along those lines a couple of years back but the majority of the comp just couldn't meet them. The rules were you had to have 3 teams, a Colts, and two playing fields (if I'm not mistaken).

But many teams had no Colts, one club didn't have 3 grades (others arguably didn't), and one club only had 1 field. A one size fits all model doesn't work sadly. The being said I think giving clubs a goal that's realistic to them is much more sensible.

For example conditions you might set could be:
  • Powerhouse/Box Hill must field a Colts sides by 2015, which will probably be possible with their raise in Jnr numbers as well as if they linked into local schools/got creative.
  • Melb Uni must have something resembling a junior program by 2015 (ie at least U6/8/10 sides). Which sounds silly at surface level but the Unis in Perth and Qld do it, in the end it's just the clubs name.
These are just examples, I'm sure you'd have other ones or reasons why these may be a bit too keen.

The reason why a lot of these are hard to achieve is playing numbers, which are rising due to the Rebels. The other way to raise numbers is more schools and clubs playing the game.

There has to be at least 5-10 more schools in Greater Melbourne that could sustain rugby programs with at least an U16s and 18s. As far as clubs go I think satelite junior clubs linked to senior clubs are the way to go.

For example Powerhouse juniors play in Hobson Bay, they could have a Jnr club at their senior location AND at Hobson Bay. If either club struggles for numbers in any age group they can merge their teams (it's only 30ish mins drive) and when they hit 18 PH will have twice the Jnrs going onto their Colts/Senior programs.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Since the VRU won't admit Craigieburn, they should look at a Schools program out of the Secondary College there. Considering the Rebels have listed as part of the 5 Star program.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Sure did.

The VRU believe they'll cannibalize Northern & Melb Uni.

That's so annoying, why not have 3 separate organisations working to the betterment of rugby in the area instead of 2.

They obviously already had a playing group and should at least bt encouraged to start a junior arm.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
That's so annoying, why not have 3 separate organisations working to the betterment of rugby in the area instead of 2.

They obviously already had a playing group and should at least bt encouraged to start a junior arm.
Yeah, Hume City is in the area for junior purposes. From what Craigieburn told me, they only want a senior team.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah, Hume City is in the area for junior purposes. From what Craigieburn told me, they only want a senior team.

Hume City... do they have any teams this year?

Still, if Craigieburn has the resources I can't understand why a developing sport like rugby would turn them away, 2nd Div B Grade could always use more teams.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
It would appear they've forfeited all of their games.
Better off probably keeping their training grounds and integrating them into Craigieburn, only up the road.

Apparently too, a lot of juniors at Northern live in the area, hence a concern from the VRU. Northern already use Melb Uni as a pathway through, which is strange in itself.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Better off probably keeping their training grounds and integrating them into Craigieburn, only up the road.

Apparently too, a lot of juniors at Northern live in the area, hence a concern from the VRU. Northern already use Melb Uni as a pathway through, which is strange in itself.

Agreed, call them Norths-Craigeburn and let them keep two grounds with an ambition for building into the future.

On the subject of Norths, the story is North seniors got the flick for being poorly run and quite dirty on the field (I was told this, it hasn't been confirmed). Then they merged with Uni and kept their juniors as a feeder.

Last year, I think it was, Norths' seniors reemerged but Uni kept their affiliation with Northern in some ways. A bit odd I say.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Agreed, call them Norths-Craigeburn and let them keep two grounds with an ambition for building into the future.

On the subject of Norths, the story is North seniors got the flick for being poorly run and quite dirty on the field (I was told this, it hasn't been confirmed). Then they merged with Uni and kept their juniors as a feeder.

Last year, I think it was, Norths' seniors reemerged but Uni kept their affiliation with Northern in some ways. A bit odd I say.
Correct, among other things, lets say culture related.

Uni play a couple of home games out at Northern also.

Status
Not open for further replies.