• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

WA Premier Grade

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Homer J

I am fairly sure Macaffrey and Seymore have already played for Neddies.

N

NTT

Will do my best to keep this up to date.
Top 4 at the moment is : Nedlands 68 pts
Associates 67 pts
Cottesloe 59 pts
University 52 pts
1 rnd remaining which if results go as predicted will see this top remain just maybe Associates as Minor Prems with Nedlands struggles of late.
As for the allocation of Force players, most of them live in the western suburbs near the training base at University so most get allocated to the western suburbs clubs (Nedlands, Associates, Cottesloe, University, Palmyra) to keep the Force players happy about not having to travel too far. This does cause debate in WA circles but in reality you only see them playing 2 or 3 games at club level a year anyway as most of them head east again as soon as s15 finishes. In recent weeks only Angus Cottrel and Kyle Godwin have been in local ranks with Associates.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Paly look like needing a miracle to make the four now. My boys (Uni) would need to stumble badly against the Bulls on the weekend to miss out. Might head over to Hartfield Pk and have a look on Saturday.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Why did those two stay and not head for the money to Shute shield? I have heard rumours that force don't let there players play qld prem grade due to the bad blood between the franchises and player/coach poaching

WesternKiwi

Bob McCowan (2)
Cottesloe v Rockingham 83 - 11
Saturday 1 September at Harvey Field
Kick-off: 3.30pm
Referee: Scott Chesterton

Cottesloe: 1 Stefan Cooper, 2 Digby Glass, 3 Kaisa Reidy, 4 Adrian Hall, 5 Brian Utumapu, 6 Jarrett Budworth, 7 Nick Haining, 8 Rory Crowhen, 9 Ryan Louwrens, 10 Sam Heinemann, 11 Eric Vasukicakau, 12 Tobias Hoskins, 13 Dave Kirton, 14 Edward Melville, 15 Jared Cropper, Richard Brown off bench
Rockingham: Not provided

Wanneroo v Nedlands 12 - 89
Saturday 1 September at Kingsway Reseve
Referee: Mark Calverley

Wanneroo: 1 Wade Sparg, 2 Jake Smith, 3 Steve Mangan (c), 4 Brian Khemba, 5 Masauosalo Tutaia, 6 Joseph Kangethe, 7 Glazem Glassie, 8 Makoni Mafi, 9 Devin Hendry, 10 Tane Puki, 11 Ben Fehoko, 12 Karl Hart, 13 Casper Nell, 14 Grant Erskine, 15 Waqa Blake.

Nedlands: 1 Mark Davies, 2 Mason Pomare, 3 Travis Church, 4 Sam Madams, 5 Phil Styne, 6 Alan Viljoen, 7 Joe Egan, 8 Chris Naylor, 9 Michael Botes, 10 Sam Rarasea, 11 Henare Hira, 12 Ryan McLeod, 13 Cam Crowley, 14 Ben Titoko, 15 Jake Stevens Reserves 16 James Oddie, 17 Kane Greer, 18 Matt Parris

Wests Subiaco v Associates 21 - 44
Saturday 1 September at Rosalie Park
Referee: Graham Cooper

Wests Subiaco: 1 Junior Sala, 2 DJ Ferris, 3 Ben Doaper, 4 Josh Katene, 5 Hamish Limbrick, 6 Chris Miles (c), 7 Kane Koteka, 8 Josh Beer, 9 Michael Marshall, 10 Teava Terangi, 11 Vincent Silulu, 12 Saula Fifita, 13 Allan Wheeler, 14 Brad Lacey, 15 Walter Koteka

Associates: 1 Ata Fatupaito, 2 Anthony Savovski, 3 Andy Lawrence, 4 Zane Kader, 5 Ben Hales, 6 Angus Cottrell, 7 Al Rovira, 8 Mark Schmidt, 9 Peter Du Toit, 10 Kyle Godwin, 11 Cailan Richards, 12 Junior Sifa, 13 Nigel Genia, 14 Neville Halberg, 15 Hugh Norcross

Perth Bayswater v Palmyra 12 - 13
Saturday 1 September at Pat O’Hara Reserve
Referee: Matt O’Brien

Perth Bayswater: Not Provided

Palmyra: 1 Connor Higgins, 2 Joe Savage, 3 Hamiora Tioki, 4 Andy Weaver, 5 Shannon Mc Crae, 6 Gideon Van Zyl, 7 Sean Stapleton, 8 Anare Koliavu, 9 Stu Dyer, 10 Gannon Kareena, 11 Sek Funaki, 12 Adam Kennedy, 13 Nick Corkin, 14 Hepe Beech, 15 Gary Rob

Kalamunda v UWA 34 - 29
Saturday 1 September at Hartfield Park
Referee: Rob Kellam

Kalamunda: 1 Sui Liaga, 2 Matt Berry, 3 Aaron Minett, 4 Nikau Rangiwhetu, 5 Matt Deeauvagie, 6 Russell Burgess, 7 Jacob Rumble, 8 Lou Brady, 9 Tubula Niumataiwalu, 10 Gray Gardiner, 11 Jordan Pereira, 12 Kane Allen, 13 David Kara, 14 Naipote Weleilakeba, 15 Stephen Chetkovich Reserves 16 Josh Heke, 17 TJay Asiata, 18 James Cullimore, 19 Benjamin Calder, 20 Quintin Tufoua, 21 Te reweti Manahi-Clark

UWA: 1 Nevin Mills, 2 Harry Scoble, 3 Dennis Puia, 4 Mark Westcott, 5 Corey Thomas, 6 Sean Ashton, 7 Cian O’Connor, 8 Jeremy Smith, 9 Alan Kingsley, 10 Alan Gaughan, 11 Christian Joubert, 12 Nathan Cummins, 13 Grant Hardwick, 14 Rory McCarthy, 15 Andy Finn Reserves 16 Craig Telford, 17 Trevor Downes, 18 Ben Taylor, 19 Marc Casey, 20 Chris Setu, 21 Kurt Penney, 22 Mike Innes

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Uni scrape into the semis by the barest of margins, woohoo! Soaks have come good at the right end of the season and could spring a surprise in the finals I reckon.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Ye from the look of the results even though they finished second - nedlands is starting to suffer what happened last year with a bit of complacency. They would have to be weary of Soaks who are in red hot form at the moment. Dont discount Uni though - we all know they can turn a cricket score in a major semi one week into a grand final victory two weeks later ;) . Im an ex Neddies guy through and through but I must admit I raised a smile when I saw Uni had won their first premiership since 72 last year. They were always the wipping boys in my days at neddies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Dont discount Uni though - we all know they can turn a cricket score in a major semi one week into a grand final victory two weeks later ;) . Im an ex Neddies guy through and through but I must admit I raised a smile when I saw Uni had won their first premiership since 72 last year. They were always the wipping boys in my days at neddies.

Aint that ever the truth. I was at the GF last year when we somehow managed to win that game. First top grade flag in my life time!

It's funny, when I played underage rugby at Uni through colts we rarely lost to Neddies, but it was the total opposite in grade. A source of much frustration I might add!

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Why did those two stay and not head for the money to Shute shield? I have heard rumours that force don't let there players play qld prem grade due to the bad blood between the franchises and player/coach poaching

Godwin would have stayed because he is a soaks boy so would want to play in their finals. He and Genia Junior are
reeking havoc.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
above post is a bit confusing - Soaks finished second and are looking the strongest at the moment

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Aint that ever the truth. I was at the GF last year when we somehow managed to win that game. First top grade flag in my life time!

It's funny, when I played underage rugby at Uni through colts we rarely lost to Neddies, but it was the total opposite in grade. A source of much frustration I might add!

I saw the youtube footage at the end - Neddies with one last hope at scrum time only to butcher their own feed. What vintage are you? I remember colts at uni always was a strong team mainly because most of the out of schoolers would play for them. I was playing grade from 1999-2003 at neddies. Bounced around between 3rd and 2nd grade and played the odd first grade game when injuries/state duties occoured.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I saw the youtube footage at the end - Neddies with one last hope at scrum time only to butcher their own feed. What vintage are you? I remember colts at uni always was a strong team mainly because most of the out of schoolers would play for them. I was playing grade from 1999-2003 at neddies. Bounced around between 3rd and 2nd grade and played the odd first grade game when injuries/state duties occoured.

I was before that. Early to mid 90's. We had a decent colts team back then, though Soaks were better (and they were very very good -- formed the basis of their grade premiership teams).

WesternKiwi

Bob McCowan (2)
RugbyWA reaches 8,000 registered players

By RugbyWA Media

BankwestJuniors_goalpost_300x250.jpg

RugbyWA is celebrating the registration of its 8,000th player for the 2012 season – a record for the state.

Grassroots rugby has seen a significant rise this year, increasing by 12 per cent from the 2011 total of 7,149 players.

Within this total, the number of players contesting Pindan Premier Grade and senior grades has risen from 2,930 (2011) to 3,399 while Bankwest Junior Rugby participation has experienced a similar increase, up from 3,723 in 2011 to 4,183.

Women’s rugby has also witnessed a substantial increase, up 28 per cent from 147 to 204.

Palmyra President Kim Short became the 8,000th registered player when he took to their field in his side’s Fourth Grade Blue match against Perth Bayswater at Pat O’Hara Reserve, Morley on Saturday. It was 52-year-old Short’s first match for the Palmyra club in which he scored an intercept try in a memorable debut. Coincidentally, his three sons all played against Perth Bayswater on Saturday with each one scoring a try in his respective match – Leighton crossed for two tries in the Under 15’s semi-final, Mitchell also recorded a double in the Under 18’s, while eldest son Nicholas scored in his Second Grade match.

Andrew Hill, RugbyWA’s Manager Community Rugby, said the 8,000 mark is a significant milestone for the code in Western Australia.

“This is a great achievement for rugby in the state and the result of a lot of hard work from people in the sport,” he said.

“While the population of Western Australia is growing at a significant rate, the fact that so many people are being attracted to rugby is a positive for the current state of the game and could provide significant long-term benefits for the code.

“The clubs have been very active and done a fantastic job in regard to their recruitment across all ages while our development officers have been very busy in introducing many junior players to rugby and assisting to grow the game.

“These numbers are also reflective of the behind-the-scenes work that has been contributed within the senior union and WAJRU (West Australian Junior Rugby Union).

“Our next challenge is retaining existing players while continuing to grow the game. We want to see a continued increase in junior numbers, we’ve already seen a substantial rise in the standard of our senior competitions, and we’ve been very encouraged by the number of female participants and the enthusiasm towards rugby sevens.

“For our elite players, we have a clear development pathway into the Bankwest Academy and with the Emirates Western Force having a renewed focus on recruiting up-and-coming players, should we continue to experience this growth, there’s no reason why we shouldn’t see more home-grown products playing Super Rugby in the years to come.”

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
whats confusing?
My post - not yours, you posted that while i was typing it so it appeared after yours. Mine was confusing because It looks like I said that Nedlands finished second but they finished first. Move along - nothing to see here ;) .

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
That's a fantastic result and vindication for all of us who have said that the game is growing in WA. We just need to keep it going.

Yep and it dispells the initial arguments (I found from mostly brumbies fans at the time who thought their team was moving to Melbourne) in 2004/05 when WA was awarded the 4th Franchise. At the time all I heard was "we dont have the players to make a side etc etc" of course we didnt, rugby was a backwater sport in WA for many years so we had to (and still do at the moment) get players from the eastern states (although not as bad as the eastern states guys thought - I actually thought it was healthily supported) , I always said when it was announced that it would take 5 - 10 years before we would start to see regular starters from players produced in the local comp. It was quicker than that. Rugby WA needs to keep up the good work and develop rugby in schools and colts more. The success of the WA side in last years? (or this years?) schools is evidence of this when they have been competitive (and beating some of) the tradiational Div 1 states. I remember back in my day playing schools rugby in NSW , the scores would be in the 90 - 100 mark when playing agiainst WA. no longer is this the case. Lets just hope that the force can bounce back after a few torrid and unfortunate years (not entirely due to their form but outside influences) so that momentum doesnt get lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.