• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

WA Premier Grade

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Phillips

Yep and it dispells the initial arguments (I found from mostly brumbies fans at the time who thought their team was moving to Melbourne) in 2004/05 when WA was awarded the 4th Franchise. At the time all I heard was "we dont have the players to make a side etc etc" of course we didnt, rugby was a backwater sport in WA for many years so we had to (and still do at the moment) get players from the eastern states (although not as bad as the eastern states guys thought - I actually thought it was healthily supported) , I always said when it was announced that it would take 5 - 10 years before we would start to see regular starters from players produced in the local comp. It was quicker than that. Rugby WA needs to keep up the good work and develop rugby in schools and colts more. The success of the WA side in last years? (or this years?) schools is evidence of this when they have been competitive (and beating some of) the tradiational Div 1 states. I remember back in my day playing schools rugby in NSW , the scores would be in the 90 - 100 mark when playing agiainst WA. no longer is this the case. Lets just hope that the force can bounce back after a few torrid and unfortunate years (not entirely due to their form but outside influences) so that momentum doesnt get lost.

J

Jim Phillips

Agreed if the Force can get success it will certainly boost Rugby in the west. Rugby is definitly on the rise in WA there are now 18 clubs in Perth and Joondalup Brothers had around 400 juniors this season, I would be interested to know how big some of the clubs are in other states in relation to junior numbers?

Alan

Bob McCowan (2)
So the WA Club Rugby has kicked off with a round of Sunday games, glorious weather! I watched the Nedlands v Associates game, last years finalists, & it was a tough close affair with Nedlands pulling off a win 20-15.

Anyone else watch the other games?

Status
Not open for further replies.