• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales vs Australia, 5 November 2016, (1:30am 6 November AEDT) @ Millenium Stadium

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That was magnificent in the first half. The boys played with the kind of game plan I love to see: big men hitting the ball at pace and shifting the gain line, quick recycling and then going wide. The short passing in particular was fantastic and I think we're starting to see the influence of Byrne on the team. The skill level is increasing every week. We just have to keep improving. That's the best part of this game though: there is still plenty of improvement in them. A few more of the passes go to hand and put 50 on them.

The three big men in the pack were outstanding and so was Hodge. All of them looked for work, all of them hit the ball from depth and at pace and all of them looked to promote the ball through a team mate. That is the essence of good rugby for me. Yes we got a bit sloppy in the second half, but we got it right and finished the game strongly.

Onwards and upwards.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Must agree with comment on here about astute analysis from Justin Harrison as part of BEin commentary team on Wallabies performance. Could do with that sort of calibre on Foxsports rugby commentating team.

agree

The technical analysis from Harrison was so good. I said to my wife I never knew he was so smart.

Makes fox and indeed the NZ and SA ones on matches look poor.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
He didn't really get much ball though, and he wasn't lacking for enthusiasm. Plus he was around in support fairly often. Be pretty harsh to drop him for simply not receiving the ball in dangerous places.

Was right there in support as three tries were scored. Had the Wales defense been a little tighter so that the ball had to go one player further, he could feasibly have scored a triple. Then he would have featured in the GAGR MOTM I'm sure.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
1) Brynes skill work is showing in the forwards. They are running, drawing defenders and passing. In the backs that is a given, but what has really improved is their kicking. Short deft kicks and finally ones for Folau and DHP to contest in the air.

2) As said by many the highlight for me is the physical dominant hard hitting forwards Coleman, Timani and Arnold. Timani had a very good work rate considering he played 80. Nice to see these 3 getting over the add line.

3) When Simmons came on you could see how much physicality he lacks , the difference was clear. However he is accurate and works hard. Deserves to be on the bench.
Latu improved the scrum a lot when he came on, he should come on with 20 to go

4) Phipps first half very good. He passed quickly off the deck in front of the chest so players ran onto it. Second half got tired and inaccurate.

5) Foley's best game. His short ckicking game has improved , and kicking in the air. He also is putting players into gaps, nice short inside pass. So much so I have changed ship and think he offeres more than Cooper ATM and should continue to start. Hodge should kick goals when Foley is missing so many.

6) Defence by everyone including DHP and Speight improved

7) Folau 2 very good games in a row. This was brilliant. Most defenders beaten, most clean breaks, most offloads.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Yes I like Coleman and Arnold combination - and now more than ever after Arnold's performance tonight, but I also like Simmons off the bench as well. In fairness to Simmons his workrate has improved in last 2 games and good bench as we know where in past we have fallen down.

Rob S looked the goods coming off the bench in Bledisloe 3 primarily because of one great line break and run. Last night he was almost invisible again, except that he was sent backwards in his first run by the Welsh tacklers - even had the commentators exclaiming about it being the first instance the Wallabies hadn't dominated the tackle area. He was a huge step down from Coleman/Arnold and incidentally wasn't missed in the lineouts before he came on either. I would hope that Kane Douglas will reignite some of his form from last year. He would be a much better bench option imo.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
It was announced at the start of the year that beIN had the rights to the Spring tour....

I was quite happy with the service last night - the stream from their website was far better quality than Foxtel Play and I didn't have to put up with any of their docile presenters.

How was the streaming service for ads Slim? Some on here have complained about the number of betting ads in particular that I assume were shown during the broadcast, The beIN service on Foxtel was ad free which is a huge plus.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Rob S looked the goods coming off the bench in Bledisloe 3 primarily because of one great line break and run. Last night he was almost invisible again, except that he was sent backwards in his first run by the Welsh tacklers - even had the commentators exclaiming about it being the first instance the Wallabies hadn't dominated the tackle area. He was a huge step down from Coleman/Arnold and incidentally wasn't missed in the lineouts before he came on either. I would hope that Kane Douglas will reignite some of his form from last year. He would be a much better bench option imo.

Trouble is Douglas misses a lot of tackles, and his work rate is too low for an impact player, he should do a lot more if he is on for only 20 mins.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
How was the streaming service for ads Slim? Some on here have complained about the number of betting ads in particular that I assume were shown during the broadcast, The beIN service on Foxtel was ad free which is a huge plus.

someone said just use adblock.

After stream starts turn adblock on.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

No ads during match play................

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
I found the BeIN broadcast better quality than the ones in the Rugby Championship.

They show replays from more angles, distances and you see things you would not pick up otherwise.
Also the commentary is better than all the SANSAAR ones.
Finally the analysis during breaks is far superior.
Sack Kearns get Harrison, and get Kafer back to serious analysis instead of clowning around.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
If we can take anything from a pretty poor 2016 its that Cheika has somehow identified a handful of blokes that look to have a long future at test level.

DHP looks like he was born to be a test player. I thought he was brilliant and probably deserved at least 2 tries against wales. His work under the high ball was exceptional. I'm ok with the odd box kick if our wingers are going to contest in the air like DHP did last night.

If I was to pick a weak link in the 15 at the moment I'd have to say its Speight. I don't think he's quite found his feet since coming back the 15 man game. He's constantly getting found out positionally. It really killed us against the All Blacks and then again last night we were put under pressure. That said, there is no denying he's talented enough to be in the side, I just think he's not quite there yet.

Cheika has identified a handful of blokes whom many of us here were saying at the outset should have been tried. Giving him too much credit I believe - he has consistently shown a preference for established (older, out of form) players and has mainly acted only when injury has forced his hand.

DHP was exceptional under the high ball, and his combination with Folau at the back thwarted the Wales usual game plan of high balls leading to errors from which they kick their goals. Can't be too lavish in praise for both DHP and Izzy in the air.

I did not see any instances against Wales where Henry put the Wallabies under pressure through either poor positioning or missed tackles. Can you give instances please. On three occasions Henry was in support of the try scorer (Kuridrani, Hodge and Foley) and could have scored himself if the defense had caused those players to look for support. I can't remember any missed tackle in general play by Henry last night, and I was chuffed when he actually forced big George North into touch in one tackle. I agree he didn't cover himself with glory against the ABs but please provide specifics of where he went wrong to the detriment of the Wallabies' efforts last night.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
The only real weak link remains 6.

Short term ok if Fardy returns back to form, but he is not young.
Next year need Higgs or Holloway or NCR no 8(sp?) to step up and allow Timani to go to 6.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Trouble is Douglas misses a lot of tackles, and his work rate is too low for an impact player, he should do a lot more if he is on for only 20 mins.

I agree, and that is why I said I'd like to see him regain his form from last year when he was much more impactful.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Cheika has identified a handful of blokes whom many of us here were saying at the outset should have been tried. Giving him too much credit I believe - he has consistently shown a preference for established (older, out of form) players and has mainly acted only when injury has forced his hand.

That's just wrong. I saw your comment earlier that he should have picked the 3 you are talking about for the first test v England. Has it occurred to you that he's had these guys in the squad the whole time and that his plan was to prep them for test rugby and introduce them to the fray when they were ready?

Sure, injuries have led to some of these guys getting a start, but I don't think that's accidental. He's had them waiting in the wings ready to introduce them when he's happy they are right for it. Even though all of them have had slow starts he's persisted with them (e.g. Hodge at 12) and we are now seeing the dividends.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)

Next year need Higgs or Holloway or NCR no 8(sp?) to step up and allow Timani to go to 6.
Keep Timani where he is and try someone like Dempsey at 6. Holloway, if he recovers and kicks on with his 2015 form would make for an excellent impact 8 off the bench.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Yes Higgs or Holloway should be great options in the backrow next year and I really think there skillset will balance nicely with Timani and Hooper.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I'm inclined to think Holloway would make an excellent No 6 in the Jerome Kaino mould. But, of course, if that ever turns out it will be because that's what M Cheika had in mind the whole time and sent me telepathic messages to make sure I posted the idea on here.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
I agree about a sour taste in terms of Coleman, Arnold and Timani.
(and Kerevi).

All performed in super rugby very well last year and this year.

Timani and Kerevi were exceptional last year and should have been included in the RC and then probably onto the RWC.

This year from the 1st test against England onwards.

Coleman and Arnold introduced for Douglas when he could not reproduce his form prior to injury. These 2 were introduced reasonably this year IMO , lock was the only area where new players were introduced without injury forcing it.

It did take him a bit long to try the Coleman Arnold combo though.