• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales vs Australia, 5 November 2016, (1:30am 6 November AEDT) @ Millenium Stadium

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Agree, but the other interesting thing is there are no Kiwis in it!
I've quickly watched the game but I can't for the life of me think of an outstanding kiwi from that game. Don't get me wrong I didn't think anyone was bad and their standard was still pretty amazballs.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I've quickly watched the game but I can't for the life of me think of an outstanding kiwi from that game. Don't get me wrong I didn't think anyone was bad and their standard was still pretty amazballs.

TJ Perenara looked good off the bench, but reserves don't make these teams.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Gnostic, I have actually held my own counsel pretty much in the Mumm/Fardy debate prior to the Wales test, certainly haven't been pushing a parochial line on any of the Brumbies' players since the RC test season commenced. I have bought into the debate now because imo Fardy's efforts against Wales were very good, and as supported by FF (Folau Fainga'a)'s stats, really a lot better than we've seen from Dean Mumm at any stage. We are developing a set of forwards to challenge the best in the world. Fardy at 6 will complement the remainder of the pack much better than Mumm would.

By the way, throwing around insults like the accusation of parochial bias is unbecoming and unfortunately seems to be a quick go to by certain posters responding to comments from fans of teams not playing out of Sydney.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Too true Sully, I can't think of an AB that was real good, or allowed to be good by the Irish on the weekend, so wouldn't argue with team of the week at all.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Fardy's efforts against Wales were very good, and as supported by FF (Folau Fainga'a)'s stats, really a lot better than we've seen from Dean Mumm at any stage. We are developing a set of forwards to challenge the best in the world. Fardy at 6 will complement the remainder of the pack much better than Mumm would.

I'm a bit hot and cold on Fardy, some weeks he has been great, others a penalty magnet. In the last couple of games, I reckon he's coming back to form, agree he's a better 6 for this team then Mumm at the moment.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm a bit hot and cold on Fardy, some weeks he has been great, others a penalty magnet. In the last couple of games, I reckon he's coming back to form, agree he's a better 6 for this team then Mumm at the moment.

The penalties are OK if IF IF they're given away in the right situation i.e. not right in front of the posts.

The aggression and niggle is what counts. Like Owen Finegan, but beardier and skinnier.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
The penalties are OK if IF IF they're given away in the right situation i.e. not right in front of the posts.

The aggression and niggle is what counts. Like Owen Finegan, but beardier and skinnier.

Yeah, but there's been some obvious ones which are dumb. Probably the one that takes the cake for me (ok, it was in Super Rugby, but it shows where Fardy's head was at earlier this year), the Brumbies went for a rolling maul off a lineout, and Fardy was in front, the opposition didn't engage and Brumbies penalised for obstruction. Happened two more times for same result. Each time, Fardy's look was like "who, me?"

But anyway I digress, the last couple of games he's looked like his rugby head has been on the right way.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, but there's been some obvious ones which are dumb. Probably the one that takes the cake for me (ok, it was in Super Rugby, but it shows where Fardy's head was at earlier this year), the Brumbies went for a rolling maul off a lineout, and Fardy was in front, the opposition didn't engage and Brumbies penalised for obstruction. Happened two more times for same result. Each time, Fardy's look was like "who, me?"

But anyway I digress, the last couple of games he's looked like his rugby head has been on the right way.

That was Sam Carter, not Fardy............

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Meanwhile, getting back to the game there were five standouts for me:
  • The performance of the tight five in the loose was outstanding. The carries by the props and second-rowers were magnificent, as was their defence. Everything becomes so easy when the forwards are going forward. Why haven't we seen this pod strategy previously?
  • The lineouts were much improved. In the modern game lineouts are more important than scrums for attacking phases, are second rowers becoming more valuable than props? :rolleyes:
  • The combination of Arnold (my MotM) and Coleman (my runner up) filled me with much confidence for the future. On this point I might say with a great deal of pride I suggested this pairing some months ago (check my posts if you wish). Could the next great gold side be built on a couple of outstanding locks?
  • Hodge showed some very promising improvement, all he needs is time in that position.
  • Ditto for Timani.
On the matter of coaching, the performance of the backs with quick, front foot ball was delightful, and some praise must go to Larkham; the running lines, decoys, feints and multiple runners were straight out of his scrapbook. It's puzzling why we haven't seen back play of this calibre under his tutelage previously at either the Brumbies or the Wallabies. Maybe Stephen's 95% of being a very good coach, did Mick Byrne add the missing 5%? Something for the Brumbies hierarchy to ponder.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

generally you're right Pfitzy, but on the weekend his penalty was right in front of the posts, but due to the game situation, Wales was in no position to take the points; instead they elected for a scrum and in subsequent plays the Wallabies got out of trouble. While I actually think the penalty wasn't deserved in any case, that Fardy had made a good turnover, there was nil effect on the game or the scoreline.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
generally you're right Pfitzy, but on the weekend his penalty was right in front of the posts, but due to the game situation, Wales was in no position to take the points; instead they elected for a scrum and in subsequent plays the Wallabies got out of trouble. While I actually think the penalty wasn't deserved in any case, that Fardy had made a good turnover, there was nil effect on the game or the scoreline.

Absolutely right. I rewatched the incident several times to write the blog ratings and I couldn't see that Fardy did anything wrong and that it should have been penalty Australia. I think Joubers was looking elsewhere at the time and just penalised him on suspicion.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
[*]The performance of the tight five in the loose was outstanding. The carries by the props and second-rowers were magnificent, as was their defence. Everything becomes so easy when the forwards are going forward. Why haven't we seen this pod strategy previously?

It's been the way Larkham drills offense since before he joined the WB coaching team. Straight out of the Brumbies systems.

It is also the first time in a while that we have really seen it working well. In part put this to the opposition. In part.

The rest is about the squad getting used to it, finessing it, merging Cheika aggression with Larkham ball retention systems, and of course the impact of Byrnes skills allowing more expression within the system.

Long may it continue.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Scrolling through the sports channels I notice the Wales/Australia match is being repeated on beIN SPORTS 3 at 11:00pm on Saturday.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It's been the way Larkham drills offense since before he joined the WB coaching team. Straight out of the Brumbies systems.

It is also the first time in a while that we have really seen it working well. In part put this to the opposition. In part.

The rest is about the squad getting used to it, finessing it, merging Cheika aggression with Larkham ball retention systems, and of course the impact of Byrnes skills allowing more expression within the system.

Long may it continue.

We also have two locks who can make some decent metres with the ball. Finally. For far too long we have had locks who make more distance when they fall over after being tackled than they do on their feet.

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)

Long may it continue.

That's all true. Part of the "at last" is simply practise and experience.

If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, the definition of professional sports is doing the same thing thousands of times and expecting a different result.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
That's all true. Part of the "at last" is simply practise and experience.

If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, the definition of professional sports is doing the same thing thousands of times and expecting a different result.

Very droll.

But I suspect something fundamental wasnt clicking and thats probably training. I dont really buy-in to the combinations thing. That would help, but doesnt explain the result when all the locks came from the same training format. Now we have a combination to build on, hell yes. Whatever happened for Wales it came together. Enough to work improvements (not just trying to get the system up).

Was it the difference in opposition? Even if so, a very valuable experience. And a chance in front of us, rough terms, of incrementally better opposition. Its a fabulous opportunity.

One the Wales experience tells us NOTHING about is defence. So there is still plenty to be proven in this WB team.

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
Gnostic, I have actually held my own counsel pretty much in the Mumm/Fardy debate prior to the Wales test, certainly haven't been pushing a parochial line on any of the Brumbies' players since the RC test season commenced. I have bought into the debate now because imo Fardy's efforts against Wales were very good, and as supported by FF (Folau Fainga'a)'s stats, really a lot better than we've seen from Dean Mumm at any stage. We are developing a set of forwards to challenge the best in the world. Fardy at 6 will complement the remainder of the pack much better than Mumm would.

By the way, throwing around insults like the accusation of parochial bias is unbecoming and unfortunately seems to be a quick go to by certain posters responding to comments from fans of teams not playing out of Sydney.

Honestly mate, I thought every third post of yours was recommending Fardy. No criticism there. I'd pick Fardy too! I always took solace in the fact that I could come on here and find Brumby Runner posts extolling Scott's virtues.