• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales vs Australia, 5 November 2016, (1:30am 6 November AEDT) @ Millenium Stadium

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
@PK - on your way over from Roar? If so welcome, bloke!

Look forward to your thoughts.

Thanks,

Yes the same one.

I have always read the articles on gagr , the forum here looks good so I thought I would give it a try.

On ROAR I was put on moderation for reporting to many abusive posts against me by kiwi's. He blamed me despite my posts not being abusive at all.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Thanks,

Yes the same one.

I have always read the articles on gagr , the forum here looks good so I thought I would give it a try.

On ROAR I was put on moderation for reporting to many abusive posts against me by kiwi's. He blamed me despite my posts not being abusive at all.

Always welcome quality comment here. Cheers

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If we're talking about having Pocock start at 7 for the tight work, then Simmons is benched for the same reason.

Arnold and Coleman are big, brash, and take no crap. Simmons had a couple of great sparks off the bench in Auckland, but I don't rate him as highly in heavy traffic as the other two.

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
Simmons made some good runs in bled 3. Cheika has obviously been in his ear to ramp up his aggro.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

His 'good' aggro. Running twenty meters to biff a bloke when you have the ball is awesome. Running twenty meters to biff a bloke when he has the ball is a yellow.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
If we're talking about having Pocock start at 7 for the tight work, then Simmons is benched for the same reason.

Arnold and Coleman are big, brash, and take no crap. Simmons had a couple of great sparks off the bench in Auckland, but I don't rate him as highly in heavy traffic as the other two.

Exactly

Originally when Coleman struggled to play 80 I thought it was wrong to start with Arnold. Now that Coleman has proven he is an 80 min player with impact you can play Simmons off the bench.

Like Hooper Simmons adds speed from the bench which is helpful since the game is opening up. Simmons has a high work rate and makes his tackles, just lacks physicality which is not needed as much late in the game.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
You're in a pretty small minority. The guy was not in a Super 23 at the start of the season and a week ago he was packing down against NZ. Someone (a lot of people actually) must have seen something in his play.

Well as Ibsen said The Majority is Always Wrong.

The issue I have other than lack of experience but he started as a THP and now has shifted to LHP. If Sio is still learning the ropes when wiley NH THP props do their tricks Robertson will be way out of his depth.

Imagine Sio having to be replaced because he is being penalised off the park and then who do you want coming in? Slipper.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
You're in a pretty small minority. The guy was not in a Super 23 at the start of the season and a week ago he was packing down against NZ. Someone (a lot of people actually) must have seen something in his play.

Maybe they looked at his address. No seriously I like the look of him.

I love Slipper especially as he is captain of QLD but I think he has plateaued a bit. He is a very good prop but does not seem to make the game changing plays he did a few years ago.

I hate to say it but I would not have him in my top two loose head props at the moment.

I guess next spring when he has captained the Reds to a S15 title he will get a starting spot

dru

Tim Horan (67)
His 'good' aggro. Running twenty meters to biff a bloke when you have the ball is awesome. Running twenty meters to biff a bloke when he has the ball is a yellow.

Being somewhat obtuse there. How long back to that scenario?

Simmo has been the unseen worker. Stats always read high and I'm leftwondering how I missed it. But the lack of aggressive muscle has been increasingly making less of a proposition at international level. Hell, I'd like more at Super (or even NRC) level.

His work in the set piece though, is pretty much second to none. He is the best line out caller by far.

We've been seeing the line outs work through a progression, I think. Simmo (and Mumm) guiding/advising Coleman. And line out improvements are there. So generally I think we are seeing Coleman with Arnold as the starting locks.

One thing for Simmo though, his (lengthy) work of the bench in Bled 3 was impressive. More of that please. And bring it back to the Reds, too.

He will continue to figure somewhere against teams with high level line outs. NZ, Saffers, England. Either starting as a Coleman advisor, or on the pine ready to step in if the line isnt working. And this will gradually be phased out, I would think.

Or Simmon changes this with performance on the field. Scrums, rucks, line out AND aggression on the field. His call.

And a decent campaign began with Bled 3.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
One thing i really, really hope we improve on next match is support runners. That break by Folau near the AB line with an easy offload to be made was screaming for anyone to take it but there was no one. It happens too often. Folau, Kerevi etc are great at making those breaks and half-breaks, but we expect them to run the length themselves. We need tight runners ready to support the guy and make the most of breaks when they come.

I'd pick that as a relatively easy problem to fix with disproportionately high returns if we do.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
He will continue to figure somewhere against teams with high level line outs. NZ, Saffers, England. Either starting as a Coleman advisor, or on the pine ready to step in if the line isnt working. And this will gradually be phased out, I would think.

I would use Simmons on the bench against all the NH teams on this tour.

All these teams have a good lineout. If they don't have a very good one and 3 genuine lineout options are the only ones needed then Simmons gives you the option of using McMahon at 6 instead of Fardy / Mumm (who are needed for 4 options).

Simmons off the bench instead of Douglas provides more flexibility and value and allows an uptempo finish.

Douglas is too slow and not great off the lineouts.
Douglas is there as a backup for Arnold if Arnold's form slips.

Arnold needs a better workrate and misses too many tackles.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
One thing i really, really hope we improve on next match is support runners. That break by Folau near the AB line with an easy offload to be made was screaming for anyone to take it but there was no one. It happens too often. Folau, Kerevi etc are great at making those breaks and half-breaks, but we expect them to run the length themselves. We need tight runners ready to support the guy and make the most of breaks when they come.

I'd pick that as a relatively easy problem to fix with disproportionately high returns if we do.

agree

Support play and kick chase are poor.

On support play they look like they don't expect a break to be made and are busy running to where the next scheduled position is.

When a break is made the players are so slow to react.

This is a strength of Hooper he is a rare one that does react and does have good support play.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
On the 12 topic I would have loved to see the forgotten man of Aus rugby, Tapuai, given a shot. He has everything we have been asking for in a 12. Running game, decent defense, good distribution skills and a left boot. Injuries hit him at the wrong time and the Reds didn't utilise him well. He has suffered as a result.. think he is building to a big year next year.

I would have liked to see he or Lance selected over Godwin, they are both far more complete players. Still unsure if Godwin's first super season was a fluke or not. We have not seen his form anything like it since.

With our current options (lack there of at 12) I think this backline would be nicely balanced. Not my first choice however one I could actually see them selecting.

9. Phipps (Genia when Avail)
10. QC (Quade Cooper)
11. DHP
12. Foley
13. TK
14. Niavalu
15. Izzy

Res. Pickle
Res. Hodge
Res. Speight (I'd like to see Perese)

No sense even talking about Taps now - think he's off overseas for next year. That will leave a hole.