• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales vs Australia, EOYT 2010, Millenium Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Ryan Jones and Lee Byrne are big players for Wales to have missing. I'm not sure who'll come in for Jones, but I've heard it suggested (can't remember where) that Hook might come in for Byrne, with Stephen Jones playing at 10.

The changes I predict Deans will make to the Wallaby starting XV: nil, nada, none, zip, zilch, niente

Giteau is a brahmin, untouchable (love those mixed metaphors), sacrosanct, a permamnent fixture, immovable, staying for good, a sacred cow

Golden Child, The Chosen One, Harder to remove than red wine from a white shirt, stuck like shit to a blanket...

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I take issue with the description of Gits performance as "solid" against the All Blacks.

I'd like to see Chis and Gits out for Mumm/Van and Barnes. Not gonna happen though, especially the latter. I reckon we see the same team.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
We need too build consistancy. No need for wholesale changes.Maybe a few bloodings from the bench. Gitau to be dropped for Barnes. The performance of the dirt trackers to decide whether he is worthy of a bench spot.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
For me the the only NECESSARY change is Giteau for Barnes... that's a no-brainer in my view and if Deans can't see it then there must be something going on behind the scenes because there is nothing right now that Giteau is doing better than Barnes...

Cooper/Barnes during the first English test was one of the best earliest displays of our backline this year...

Also, when Barnes came on in the last game against SA it was crucial in the Wobs winning...

And after last weekend there's no doubt that Barnes is currently the better player...

Chisholm for Mumm would be the other substitute but is certainly not as important...

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think for the sake of consistency and due to the fact that fatigue is not yet a factor we keep the same 22 as last week.

By all means switch Chis for Mumm or Burgeo for Genia but make sure the 22 players are the same.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

I have felt - do you agree? - for some time now that there is something seriously odd about this slavish Giteau lifetime-preservation-society-independent-of-evidence-in-support whose President appears to be one RD. Coming out immediately as RD did yesterday with these type of OTT 'defences' of Gits post HKG - contrast this with Henry's barely supportive contemplations re Donald whose errors were on a par with Gits' overall. Let's recall that earlier this season Mitchell had a few consistency and defence-related problems and it was _leaked to the media_ that he'd likely be dropped, even before the next Wallaby team was formally announced. So lots of different/double standards floating about re how individual Wallaby players seem to be communicated with and treated.

Could it be that dark forces in the ARU are directing the Gits love? Could he have an ARU contract with horrific clauses that grant him big termination payments or such like if he's dropped under certain conditions?

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Could it be that dark forces in the ARU are directing the Gits love? Could he have an ARU contract with horrific clauses that grant him big termination payments or such like if he's dropped under certain conditions?

I think it's probably got something to do with his 'status' within the team. There's not a lot of old heads in the backline and he's probably being kept in there for that. Depending on how you view it, he may have some publicity value as well. But I'm not sure about that anymore. Missing kicks constantly tends to burnish the golden image. Maybe he could be pushed developed into a coaching role.

Really I've got nothing, but I haven't pretended that I have in some time.:confused:

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
If that's the case he could well be corrupting those young head in the team with the idea that no matter shit your form for two years you can be untouchable and get 10K for being an anchor on team performance.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
9. Genia (sub at half time)
10. Barnes
11. Mitchell
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Turner (13 cover)
15. Beale

20. Burgess
21. Giteau
22. Davies

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I don't think Robbie will make any personnel changes unless someone goes down with an injury during the week. He spoke a fair bit about continuity of selections in the lead up to the Beldisloe so I doubt he will do anything to disrupt that continuity.

And even though nearly every Rugby fan in the country is calling for Giteau to be dumped as kicker, I would suspect that role will be decided at some sort of kicking duel at training during the week. Gits will then proceed to slot them from everywhere, only to go to shit during the actual match....

I think Van, Higgers and Davies will now have to perform exceptionally well in the mid-week matches to get a crack in the Test side. Have to feel a bit sorry for Higgers after his injury in South Africa opened the door for McCalman who has since kicked it down.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
To chance the topic away from Wob selections for a second, I'm looking forward to this week's test! Wales play surprisingly attractive rugby considering their weather and the relatively small player pool. Should be awesome.

On another note Davies, Van, Higgers and all the other non-established Wallabies will have their chance to prove themselves in the midweek games. Robbie proved that last year when Mumm consistently performed he was elevated to a starting 2nd rower.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I honestly don't see Van as replacing anyone in the Wallaby squad and with all locks fit won't expect him to be in the RWC squad so he should be lucky to get some mid-week games...

At the moment Barnes for Giteau should be the only replacement on the cards... a necessary replacement...

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
In addition to Lee Byne, Ryan Jones, Jamie Roberts and Dwayne Peel, Leigh Halfpenny is also out for Wales and Andy Powell is unavailable. Centre Jonathan Davies was injured last week and is in doubt. So I think they'll come into this game a little underpowered - they don't have too much depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.