• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales vs Australia, EOYT 2010, Millenium Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Need a decoy runner? Giteau is your man. Every backline needs one and is the only reason why I see Deans keeping him in the 1st XV.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Preferably you should'nt use the same decoy runners each time, I would like to see the stats on the last time Giteau made a linebreak and actually made it to the try line, or more importantly how many he has made in the last 2 years.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
he made a linebreak against the all blacks when he was playing 10 i think this year, can't think of any others in 2010.

In 09 he made a fair few, france, south africa seem to ring a bell

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Preferably you should'nt use the same decoy runners each time, I would like to see the stats on the last time Giteau made a linebreak and actually made it to the try line, or more importantly how many he has made in the last 2 years.

I disagree, they will always buy the line he runs.

He, regardless of what we think of him, has a stellar reputation. The moment they don't buy it he will be passed a ball and everyone will be saying "why was nobody defending on him?".

The ABs know this, Gitts will always be able to draw players.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
In addition to Lee Byne, Ryan Jones, Jamie Roberts and Dwayne Peel, Leigh Halfpenny is also out for Wales and Andy Powell is unavailable. Centre Jonathan Davies was injured last week and is in doubt. So I think they'll come into this game a little underpowered - they don't have too much depth.

That's most of their first choice backline out. It'll be hard in the combinations department.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
9. Genia (sub at half time)
10. Barnes
11. Mitchell
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Turner (13 cover)
15. Beale

20. Burgess
21. Giteau
22. Davies

No Cooper in the 22 at all? Don't agree with that. Think Cooper 10/Barnes 12 is a good option.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I'm excited for the game too. The NH teams have had a bit of rugby under the new interpretations now and will no doubt be using this year's tours as measuring sticks before next year. I think we'll see some good games, starting with Wales this weekend.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My current first XV for this tour:

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Mumm (Horwill)
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. McCalman (Palu)
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Barnes
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. O'Connor (Ioane)
15. Beale

16. Fainga'a (Polata-Nau)
17. Slipper
18. Chisholm/Simmons (Mumm)
19. Hodgson
20. Burgess
21. Giteau (O'Connor)
22. Turner

In brackets are the players I'd have in a fully fit team going into the RWC... Giteau is no longer part of the plan...

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Leave J'OC the boy on the wing now, no point moving him in when Barnes can do the job at inside centre.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Deans won't drop Gits....this is from The Autralian

ROBBIE Deans has defused suggestions Matt Giteau's retention in the Test side is heavily dependent on him remaining first-choice goalkicker.

Giteau managed just one goal from four attempts at Hong Kong Stadium and had been replaced by James O'Connor as kicker just before he was substituted in the 63rd minute of Saturday's Bledisloe Cup Test against the All Blacks, with Berrick Barnes taking over his playmaking role during the Wallabies' stirring last-quarter fightback.

Hong Kong now joins the Murrayfield Test against Scotland last year and Australia's two Sydney Tests this season, against England and the All Blacks, as matches where Giteau's errant goalkicking cost the Wallabies dearly.

At least on Saturday his three misses didn't prove fatal, with O'Connor setting up a thrilling finale by converting Drew Mitchell's 60th minute try to critically pull the Wallabies to within five points of the All Blacks before then sensationally converting his own try after the final siren to snatch a 26-24 victory.

With 664 points to his credit in 88 Tests, Giteau ranks third behind Michael Lynagh (911) and Matt Burke (878) on the Australian all-time points-scoring list, but his deteriorating form with the boot has raised questions over whether his general play is sufficient on its own to warrant his retention in the starting XV.

Happily for him, none of those questions has occurred to Deans who insisted yesterday the 28-year-old was not dependent on his goalkicking to justify his place in the side. "It's just one component," Deans said. "It's not the defining component. But we were totally reliant on Gits previously. Now we're not so. That's good for him, good for us."

While Kurtley Beale remains the side's designated long-range goalkicker, thanks to his own last-gasp heroics in Bloemfontein against the Springboks last month, Deans acknowledged O'Connor now had established himself as Giteau's primary back-up. Significantly, he did not rule out the prospect of O'Connor being first-choice kicker when the Wallabies open the European leg of their spring tour, against Wales, on Saturday.

To be fair to Giteau, many of the questions hanging over his place in the side stem not from his own performance, which was solid against the All Blacks, but from the emerging need to have an inside centre whose strong defence might relieve some of the pressure on Quade Cooper.

Some of us Kiwi's still remember his crush for a guy named Caleb Ralph.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
So:

9. Fatcat
10. Pocock
11. Rocky
12. Humphries
13. Higginbotham
14. Horwill
15. Sharpe

Solido!

Status