• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales vs Australia, EOYT 2010, Millenium Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Better to keep the tight 5 together from last week to improve the scrum for the next test against the Poms.
It would be nice to see Higgers and Simmons on the bench. Maybe Davies as well.

We need a dominant display up front to start the European leg of the tour.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Wales

15.J Hook (Ospreys);
14. W Harries (Newport Gwent Dragons),
13. T Shanklin (Cardiff Blues),
12. A Bishop (Ospreys),
11. S Williams (Ospreys);
10. S Jones (Scarlets),
9. M Phillips (Ospreys);

1. G Jenkins (Cardiff Blues),
2. M Rees (Scarlets, capt),
3. A Jones (Ospreys),
4. B Davies (Cardiff Blues),
5. A-W Jones (Ospreys),
6. D Lydiate (Newport Gwent Dragons),
7. S Warburton (Cardiff Blues),
8. J Thomas (Ospreys).

Replacements: H Bennett (Ospreys), P James (Ospreys), D Jones (Cardiff Blues), M Williams (Cardiff Blues), R Rees (Cardiff Blues), D Biggar (Ospreys), C Czekaj (Cardiff Blues).

Not the greatest Welsh team of recent years. No excuses if we don't beat this mob.

The two props will fancy their chances - let's see.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
He's a bit from a Chris Hewitt piece:

The fleet-footed Wallabies are likely to be performing in poor weather when they take on Wales in Cardiff on Saturday, even though the Millennium Stadium comes with a roof. Wales generally favour dry conditions and often play their Tests indoors, but on this occasion they fancy a downpour might cramp the Australians' style. "I'll discuss it with the senior players," said Warren Gatland, the Wales coach. "Maybe we'll keep it open and hope it pours."

Maybe tongue in cheek, but maybe not. Wales like to use the ball a bit so they could be weakening one of their strengths.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
He's a bit from a Chris Hewitt piece:

The fleet-footed Wallabies are likely to be performing in poor weather when they take on Wales in Cardiff on Saturday, even though the Millennium Stadium comes with a roof. Wales generally favour dry conditions and often play their Tests indoors, but on this occasion they fancy a downpour might cramp the Australians' style. "I'll discuss it with the senior players," said Warren Gatland, the Wales coach. "Maybe we'll keep it open and hope it pours."

Maybe tongue in cheek, but maybe not. Wales like to use the ball a bit so they could be weakening one of their strengths.

Surely he is just playing games.

The Welsh cannot rely on a tight forward oriented game to beat these Wallabies. The All Blacks and Boks couldn't and both are much stronger than the Welsh up front..
If Wales are going to get an unlikely upset they will need to score a lot of points.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The team I would like to see but won't:

Slipper, Fainga'a, Maafu (given that Wales will present the weakest front row we will play in the tests)
Chisholm, Mumm (Sharpe needs two rests on the bench this tour)
Rocky, McCalman, Pocock
Genia, Cooper
Barnes, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Mitchell, Beale, JOC (James O'Connor)

Reserves: Moore, Alexander, Sharpe, Hodgson, Burgess, Giteau, Turner. Hodgson, Burgess and Turner to get at least 25-30 minutes.

Likelihood: About one in a million

Will the Welsh frontrow be weaker than England's? And it's only 'weak' when you compare it to France and Italy... otherwise they still boast a very good world class scrum and the Wallabies will be fucked if they try to take them on with a second rate frontrow...

That would be one way to hand Wales a game we should win...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is the Welsh front row the same as the one we smashed last year?

No, they're stronger because they've got Jones back at TH...

Robinson and Alexander are out of form due to injuries and what not... unfortunately I don't think we'll see the same result this week...

This also has to be Giteau's last chance... he doesn't have the goal kicking responsibilities anymore so there can be no more excuses... if he doesn't perform on the field then he must be pulled for Barnes...

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
England won't be weak in the scrum, sheridan is fairly handy, thompson adds alot to the scrum and Dan Coles is a scrummaging machine

I reckon Gits will get a couple more oppurtunites after this, just think how good the backline would be if Gits recaptured his running form. Then every player in the backline would be a line-breaking threat

B

BRIX

I think the front row will do just fine with a rusty Welsh pack. Right now, my chief concern is fattys taking rests in the backline or on either of the wings (note Stephen Moore which lead to 2 AB's tries over the weekend).

I'm not too worried about too much Welsh turnover ball TBH, but with Shane Williams in stirling form for the Ospreys, 2 quick tries could give the huge crowd and the dragons a big lift.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Must be only the second time Deans has played the same 22 two matches in a row. Consistency in selection is a good thing - especially if you win the week before. The names on that team sheet look all the more stronger after a great win. Let's hope it continues.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Just re-watched this and realised we really oughta wallop these boyos

[video=youtube;EAH3SP5l8OE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAH3SP5l8OE[/video]

B

BRIX

England won't be weak in the scrum, sheridan is fairly handy, thompson adds alot to the scrum and Dan Coles is a scrummaging machine

I reckon Gits will get a couple more oppurtunites after this, just think how good the backline would be if Gits recaptured his running form. Then every player in the backline would be a line-breaking threat

Agreed lad, everyone was calling for Gits' head after the AB's game. I was sat their thinking that this Spring Tour will do him the world of good, in terms of getting his confidence back on the up. I have no doubts he will make some good linebreaks and score a few pies come Stade de France

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Gits is due a big game and he has done very well against Wales in the past.
Agreed. This tour could really give him his confidence back, particularly if the Wallabies can rack up a few good wins on the run.

Is that what we need only for him to fall down against the ABs next year when it really counts? It's a tough one!

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
Gits might just come good now he doesn't have the pressure of kicking. It must be hell playing knowing you have the yips...

Anyhow - was watching England v Wallabies 09 last night and thinking to myself - how good would we be looking right now if we had a fit Ioane and Palu.

D

dwats002

not sure why gits is even in the squad let alone starting. Nows about building combos for world cup, not next years tri nations and being an ABs fan starting SBW against ENG is a good decision as he will probably be off the bench in the WC but will come on for smith at centre. But a combo of Cooper and Gits will more than likely lose games for you in the big matches as they are error prone. So why not have a sensible influence from Barnes, just like Aaron Mauger was for the Saders.

Status
Not open for further replies.