• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales vs Australia - Sunday 12 November - 4:15am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Could be that Cheika wants Kerevi to add some spark in the attack in place of Folau?
Either way is fine but Hunt 12 with KB (Kurtley Beale) at 15 looks pretty good to me and I hope we see that for the Poms.

Agreed, we need the best backline defense we can put out against the poms. I don't feel too concerned about Kerevi at 12 against the Welsh though. TK can marshal him to some extent.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Assuming that the sides we used against the Barbarians and Japanese were somewhat experimental, why not just make the one change with Hunt for Folau, instead of two changes with Hunt for Beale and Beale for Folau?

Surely if there has been one lesson to be learnt this year it has been to try to keep things as simple as possible.

Edit - I don't think Kerevi's defence is good enough tbh.

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Assuming that the sides we used against the Barbarians and Japanese were somewhat experimental, why not just make the one change with Hunt for Folau, instead of two changes with Hunt for Beale and Beale for Folau?

Surely if there has been one lesson to be learnt this year it has been to try to keep things as simple as possible.

Edit - I don't think Kerevi's defence is good enough tbh.

Hunt missed last weekend with a neck injury. I think the reason that he is likely to come back via the bench is he is a bit underdone. If he'd been fit to play in Japan I think he'd have probably started and would be starting again this weekend. I think there's a strong chance he'll find himself back in the starting side against England.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Hunt missed last weekend with a neck injury. I think the reason that he is likely to come back via the bench is he is a bit underdone. If he'd been fit to play in Japan I think he'd have probably started and would be starting again this weekend. I think there's a strong chance he'll find himself back in the starting side against England.
This is what I believe we know what happened when Kervi started under done at outside centre.. His defence didn't help but was a tough ask off the back of injuries

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
One of the problems for Cheika about starting Hunt is that if he is a bit underdone coming off injury and he doesn't have a great game against Wales then what does he do the next week England? Does he start Hunt down on confidence after a relatively poor performance against Wales or is he forced to revert back to Kerevi who probably had his best game against in the Wallaby jersey against Japan but is a relatively unknown quantity against a tier one nation? I feel it's better to start Kerevi and then give Hunt at least 15-20 minutes to get back into the groove of things in the back end of the game. If Kerevi grabs the starting opportunity and absolutely tears it up against Wales then we could even look towards starting him against England. If Kerevi just has a par game then we've given Hunt some easy minutes on the field before the real test--starting against England.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
One of the problems for Cheika is that if Hunt is a bit underdone coming off injury and he doesn't have a great game against Wales then what does he do the next week England? Does he start Hunt down on confidence after a relatively poor performance against Wales or is he forced to revert back to Kerevi who probably had his best game against in the Wallaby jersey against Japan but is a relatively unknown quantity against a tier one nation? I feel it's better to start Kerevi and then give Hunt at least 15-20 minutes to get back into the groove of things in the back end of the game. If Kerevi grabs the starting opportunity and absolutely tears it up against Wales then we could even look towards starting him against England.

I thought Kerevi was fairly ineffectual against England at 12 when he was in better form than present. I think England in particular have the big hard running 12 covered with ease. You see Te'o dominate SBW? Where-as when To'omua was playing 12 in the final test last year we were on top (or at least still in the game) till he was pulled around the 60 minute mark and we fell away.
Edit: despite all their talk about playing progressive rugby in the north, they still struggle more with guile and skill than they do with strength and power.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I thought Kerevi was fairly ineffectual against England at 12 when he was in better form than present. I think England in particular have the big hard running 12 covered with ease. You see Te'o dominate SBW? Where-as when To'omua was playing 12 in the final test last year we were on top (or at least still in the game) till he was pulled around the 60 minute mark and we fell away.

Yes, hence why I think Kerevi would absolutely have to tear it up against Wales to earn a starting spot against England. In my mind Hunt's the front runner to start he just needs this needs to ease back into with a start off the bench. Having said that though it would be totally different starting Kerevi this upcoming test as opposed to last time with Beale being able to play as a second playmaker. Then Kerevi can focus on just whacking Owen Farrell while Beale unleashes Koroibete and co. out wide.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Kerevi ain't that good when put under pressure by hitting him early. Poms showed that. Give him room to wind up and it's a different matter.

Hunt is underdone ATM and still has a lot to prove before he locks down a starting spot.

It will be interesting how Chek uses both guys.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Could always go Beale 12 Hodge 15 Speight on the wing.. Could do worse.. Hunt of the bench

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
According to the Courier Mail:

Wallabies: Kurtley Beale, Reece Hodge, Tevita Kuridrani, Samu Kerevi, Marika Koribete, Bernard Foley, Will Genia, Sean McMahon, Michael Hooper (c), Ned Hanigan, Adam Coleman, Rob Simmons, Sekope Kepu, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Scott Sio. Reserves: Stephen Moore, Tom Robertson, Allan Ala'alatoa, Matt Philip, Ben McCalman, Joe Powell, Henry Speight, Karmichael Hunt.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I'm nervous about my lack of nerves for this game. Nobody seems to be giving Wales much of a chance. I hope there's enough competition for spots that complacency won't be an issue for us.

I'm also extremely suspicious of what Eddie and Warren were cooking up at their joint setpiece training. Just doing something a bit different, or coordinating an anti-Australia scrum narrative? Time will tell.

Looking forward to the games though. Kiwis must be gutted they aren't playing England.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
12be662f4d36179f13bbbf6b28ce7176.jpg

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm nervous about my lack of nerves for this game. Nobody seems to be giving Wales much of a chance. I hope there's enough competition for spots that complacency won't be an issue for us.

I'm also extremely suspicious of what Eddie and Warren were cooking up at their joint setpiece training. Just doing something a bit different, or coordinating an anti-Australia scrum narrative? Time will tell.

Looking forward to the games though. Kiwis must be gutted they aren't playing England.

Actually, the betting odds are not particularly far in Australia's favor. As the odds follow the money it seems a lot of people are betting on Wales to win.

T

TOCC

I have my concerns, but it’s not a popular opinion so I’ll keep it to myself for this one. Australia should win, won’t be easy, just depends which players are selected where..

Reactions: dru

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Wallabies

1. Scott Sio
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Rob Simmons
5. Adam Coleman
6. Ned Hanigan
7. Michael Hooper (c)
8. Sean McMahon
9. Will Genia (vc)
10. Bernard Foley (vc)
11. Reece Hodge
12. Samu Kerevi
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Marika Koroibete
15. Kurtley Beale
Reserves
16. Stephen Moore
17. Tom Robertson
18. Allan Ala'alatoa
19. Matt Philip
20. Ben McCalman
21. Nick Phipps
22. Karmichael Hunt
23. Henry Speight

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Ned Hanigan.

*sighs*

Otherwise I like the team. Gives Hunt a bit of time to get used to playing more high level footy, tests the bash-brothers in the centres and the bench is pretty damn strong.

RIP Wales (famous last words).

Status
Not open for further replies.