• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales vs Australia - Sunday 12 November - 4:15am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Hanigan won't get displaced till someone who's good in the line out is knocking on the door.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Hanigan won't get displaced till someone who's good in the line out is knocking on the door.

Higgers fit yet? Or is he in the same boat as Cooper now? I like this team, apart from Hanigan. You know even if he tries his hardest and plays his best game it still won't be that great. I have more faith in Simmons and that is saying something in itself. Kerevi at 12 is a risk but happy to take it, would rather he is tested out (again) against quality opposition that isn't England. Once he gets his defence sorted he'll be an amazing prospect, it's a big ask though given how piss poor his defence really is.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Actually, the betting odds are not particularly far in Australia's favor. As the odds follow the money it seems a lot of people are betting on Wales to win.

The Wallabies are responsible for a lot of PTSD among bookies. That may partly explain their caution.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I have my concerns, but it’s not a popular opinion so I’ll keep it to myself for this one. Australia should win, won’t be easy, just depends which players are selected where..

Crumbs, that's disappointing. Crazy that a considered, even if unpopular, opinion has been worn down. For me it comes down to the thrust of the training and strategy at the WBs. On the whole, they have been pushing the dual playmaker strategy hard, bar games like Japan. This resolution running two big boppers in the centres imvho ideally requires a true playmaker at 10. (Queue the howls of disbelief and outrage.) Alternatively a big 12 who also has silky handling - Kerevi for all his worth is not there yet. Beale will of course pick up the second playmaker role from the back, but everything has a cost. I would say that the WBs should win, but to be honest I just haven't seen Wales play for a while.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Not really. He and McMahon are on par pretty much. When Pocock returns we will need a 6 who is a legitimate front line jumper.

I think McCalman and Hanigan both share quality workrates, they get shit done, but McCalman's individual efforts at the moment are of a better quality. I think the shopping list for that third backrower is a decent 3rd lineout option that meets the workrate expectations with superior individual efforts There are a number that do exceptional stuff, and then go missing for too long and aren't doing the dog work in between.
Edit Actually with Pocock returning, that need a better running game as well

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If I was Gatland, I would be sending a load of high balls at the Wobs

Beale and Foley (the two most likely to be doing kick returns) are also a tad patchy under the high ball

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Beale and Foley (the two most likely to be doing kick returns) are also a tad patchy under the high ball

And we do not seem to favour the tactic of having the 8 standing back in kick defense.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Take it a touch further to 10 man rugby with their big backs unleashed only when opportunity rises. Pin them down the back and test the Aussie set piece and ruck performance.

Kicks down Hodge side need a serious chase because it will provide results when he cannot engage his slowish kick response.

What will be interesting is the WB intentions in response. “We’re just focusing on us” would be disappointing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Take it a touch further to 10 man rugby with their big backs unleashed only when opportunity rises. Pin them down the back and test the Aussie set piece and ruck performance.

They've named a really small side. Jonathan Davies is the only back over 100kg and they've got a couple under 90kg. Without Jamie Roberts, George North and Alex Cuthbert this is a really different looking backline.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

IMO that's Matt Philip. As soon as Tui is available, Philip to 6, Tui to partner Arnold in the second row and Simmons to bench pending return of Rodda, Arnold etc.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I am happy to see the Kerevi/Kuridrani combination get another run. They will benefit greatly from having Beale at 15, interjecting himself to create openings. Just don't get that with a Foley/Folau match at 10/15.

Koriobete will also be keeping the outside defenders busy, possibly opening up some opportunities again through the centres. If the combinations come off as against Japan, there will be quite a few tries scored out wide again in this match.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
They've named a really small side. Jonathan Davies is the only back over 100kg and they've got a couple under 90kg. Without Jamie Roberts, George North and Alex Cuthbert this is a really different looking backline.

Well there we go, it has been a time since I watched the Welsh.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well there we go, it has been a time since I watched the Welsh.

Yeah Gatland has made a point of moving away from big ball carriers and direct rugby. He's giving a 10 a debut at 12. It's bold and probably the right direction for the future. I'd be blown away if it clicks the first time they try it in their first test in 4 months without Sam Warburton and some other big names. If Australia play to their potential then we should blow them out of the water.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
IMO that's Matt Philip. As soon as Tui is available, Philip to 6,

Yep Philip could fill 6 but where the stocks were looking dry during June there's actually now quite a wealth of talent coming through. Dempsey will surely be pushing for the 6 spot when he returns and if Pocock plays 8 then I expect Naisarani could well be competing with Dempsey. Valentini also looks like a real proposition at 6, wouldn't be surprised if he's in the 23 by 2019 the way he's going. I reckon this time next year barring injuries Hanigan won't really factor into the discussions at 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.