• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Here's the latest fixture list for the Wallabies in 2012

http://www.rugby.com.au/wallabies/GameDay/2012Fixtures.aspx

2012 Castrol Edge Rugby International
Date Time Description Venue
5 Jun TBA Wallabies v Scotland Ausgrid Stadium, Newcastle
9 Jun TBA Wallabies v Wales Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
16 Jun TBA Wallabies v Wales Etihad Stadium, Melbourne
23 Jun TBA Wallabies v Wales Sydney Football Stadium, Sydney

The Castrol Edge Rugby Championship
Date Time Description Venue
18 Aug TBA Wallabies v All Blacks ANZ Stadium, Sydney
18 Aug TBA Springboks v Argentina Newlands Stadium, Cape Town
25 Aug TBA All Blacks v Wallabies Eden Park, Auckland
25 Aug TBA Argentina v Springboks TBA
8 Sep TBA Wallabies v Springboks Subiaco Oval, Perth
8 Sep TBA All Blacks v Argentina Westpac Stadium, Wellington
15 Sep TBA Wallabies v Argentina Skilled Park, Gold Coast
15 Sep TBA All Blacks v Springboks Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin
29 Sep TBA Springboks v Wallabies Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria
29 Sep TBA Argentina v All Blacks TBA
6 Oct TBA Springboks v All Blacks TBA
6 Oct TBA Argentina v Wallabies TBA

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Our number one backline has me salivating. Genia, JOC (James O'Connor), Barnes, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Ioane, Mitchell, Beale. Cooper to replace whoever gets injured in the Super comp. Even I could coach that crew to cut up the other international teams. First rule: Kicking is for emergencies, never the first choice option

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Our number one backline has me salivating. Genia, JOC (James O'Connor), Barnes, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Ioane, Mitchell, Beale. Cooper to replace whoever gets injured in the Super comp. Even I could coach that crew to cut up the other international teams. First rule: Kicking is for emergencies, never the first choice option

Why the hell would you want that rule?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Why the hell would you want that rule?

Because, with the talent in that backline, the last thing you want to do is give the ball to the other team. Every single one of them has the ability to break the line and Kurtley, Barnes and Cooper all have the ability to set up supports with the killer pass. We tried to play the give-away game in the world cup when we came up against good teams. I don't remember it working very well.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Let's stop this whole argument before it starts by just saying "let's kick when appropriate and if we do how about we chase and contest the catch also". Or how about just "play smart rugby"

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Saying absolutely no kicking the ball away is just a stupid as kicking it away every time.

Kicking can be a great attack weapon if used right, needs smart, accuracy and good chase but certainly shouldn't be banned. that's crazy talk.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Because, with the talent in that backline, the last thing you want to do is give the ball to the other team. Every single one of them has the ability to break the line and Kurtley, Barnes and Cooper all have the ability to set up supports with the killer pass. We tried to play the give-away game in the world cup when we came up against good teams. I don't remember it working very well.

With no good kicking threat the defense line is better because the wings can play shallower. If the attackers have a good deep kicking game the defending wings have to stand deeper and thus shorten the defensive line.

That is exactly the way the Reds played last year. They kicked a lot but when Cooper found the mis-match they snapped

You need a balanced smart attacking structure and execute well.

The Wallabies weren't allowed the execute well, but if that is the case you work on execution, not stop doing it.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
25 Aug TBA All Blacks v Wallabies Eden Park, Auckland

Getting back to the fixtures though, we are sure getting quite a few chances to break this Eden Park hoodoo. In our favour we wont be the first team to play them there (they play Ireland first), but going to be a tough game.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Didn't we break the hoodoo? We beat Wales there at the RWC. We're on a winning run there. ;)

Beating Wales at Eden Park, not quite the same as beating the All Blacks there. But hopefully the win against the Welsh opens the floodgates for Wallabies wins against the ABs in the near future.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Ballymore is also a shit fight to get to & from and smaller capacity and maybe, just maybe they are trying to spread the rugby gospel just a little bit wider? I'm up for the train trip to this test match, should be awesome! Hopefully some Argie supporters will make the trek, they're all good value!

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Getting back to the fixtures though, we are sure getting quite a few chances to break this Eden Park hoodoo. In our favour we wont be the first team to play them there (they play Ireland first), but going to be a tough game.

EDIT: Some of this post is full of shit now that I have leared there are 3 Bled games this year, not 2... but this is still an interesting disucssion!

Going through the predictions thread, the vast vast majority predict Australia to get the bled back this year. This means, that you need to win this match, so therefore alot of you predict you will.

With a hand on my heart that I'm not shit stirring, I'd like to ask why this seems to be the consensus?

My point of view is that I think your boys are more than capable of beating us on a more regular basis than the last few years, but I still don't think your good enough to put us away at home. Your backline is awesome (although I don't quite share the manlove coming from the plaudits above) but ours is hardly shabby. Weeps, DC, Nonu, Smith, Jane, Dagg, A.N Other is a good enough match for the list above in my eyes.

Forward pack, make no mistake Thorne going is a huge loss, and there may be some vulnerability there, but I still give us the edge - especially as in core positions I still think the Wallabies are only an a couple of injuries away from a bit of a disaster.

The upcoming rugby championship is a mouth watering propsect indeed!

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Going through the predictions thread, the vast vast majority predict Australia to get the bled back this year. This means, that you need to win this match, so therefore alot of you predict you will.

With a hand on my heart that I'm not shit stirring, I'd like to ask why this seems to be the consensus?

It isn't my consensus, though if we win this, it would go a loooong way to getting it back, with the other two games at home.

After attending both aus v nz games at Eden park and the Rwc final, that ground is worth a few points to the blacks.

Tapatalked from my phone.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
It isn't my consensus, though if we win this, it would go a loooong way to getting it back, with the other two games at home.

After attending both aus v nz games at Eden park and the Rwc final, that ground is worth a few points to the blacks.

Only two matches this year - thus, Wallabeis must either win both, or win one, draw one.

Maybe not conssensus, but definitely vast majority.

EDIT: Sorry thought only 2 matches... I'll just head over this way now and take a look at myself

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I thought I read somewhere that the Brisbane Bledisloe isn't a part of the Rugby Championship and is just there to keep the Bledisloe as a three game series.... I could be way off mark though.
Also no Hong Kong or Tokyo game at the end of year this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.