• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
You can add Holmes and Slipper to the list of props going ok. Reds scrum has not been anissue when they have been there. I would put Hansen ahead of TPN. Shipperly has put his hand up for a wing spot as well has Mogg.

Sam Carter has been putting his hand up and would make a nice option for the reserve lock spot. Horwill and Pyle to start. We have a healthy stock of loose forwards which is good. Some deserving players will probably miss out due to that. 9 is a major concearn as Genia is by far our best option but is undoubtably woefully out of form. On current stocks JOC (James O'Connor) has to be 10 and he played well there on tour last year. Leleafano should be there but maybe introduced through the bench to get some experience.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Surely of equal concern is the rather unusual state of our national coaching group as at 2 months before the important June Tests.

We have a Head Coach. We _apparently_ have a new defence/forwards/coaching co-ordinator coach in McGahan, but it appears he will not arrive here before early June, and he's not formally announced as yet.

To best knowledge, we have no backs/attack coach, nor a kicking coach engaged. Our one good assistant coach - Blake - looks like he'll be let go. We may have appointed a new S&C coach in Jones but this is not formally confirmed.

I always feel - just like pre RWC - we focus endlessly on players, but not enough upon the web that must be woven around and amongst them to ensure team cohesion, skills excellence and the right game plans rigorously trained in. This necessarily comes from excellence and completeness within the national coaching group.
I have always thought it would be great if the ARU could hire the best possible coaches for all of those positions and then farm them out to S15 teams during the S15 season to help them out and work towards a great Wallaby team for the entire season. It sometimes seems that we only worry about the Wallabies for about 3 weeks before they play.

I hope there is more to it than I know about

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Who so far has "earnt" their spot by being the best in their position so far this season, obviously there are a number of player who will get picked on their past performances but who has earnt it so far?

for me
6- Higgers

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A Wallabies team based on nothing but form over the first 6 rounds...

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Pyle (Jones?)
5. Carter
6. Higginbotham
7. Pocock
8. Mowen
9. Kingi (White?)
10. Lealiifaano
11. Shipperley
12. Tapuai (Carter?)
13. A Smith
14. Speight (Mafi?)
15. Mogg

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone obvious who deserves to be in there...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Who so far has "earnt" their spot by being the best in their position so far this season, obviously there are a number of player who will get picked on their past performances but who has earnt it so far?

for me
6- Higgers

Ha what? Higgers hasn't definitively shown he is better than Dennis, Fardy or Kimlin.

Pocock and Moore are about the only ones who can safely say have been the best in their positions.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Ha what? Higgers hasn't definitively shown he is better than Dennis, Fardy or Kimlin.

Pocock and Moore are about the only ones who can safely say have been the best in their positions.
I just find it hard to agree with you, I think Higgers has been the best player in the Australian conferencem I guess we all have different opinions

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Pyle (Jones?)
5. Carter
6. Higginbotham
7. Pocock
8. Mowen
9. Kingi (White?)
10. Lealiifaano
11. Shipperley
12. Tapuai (Carter?)
13. A Smith
14. Speight (Mafi?)
15. Mogg

Pretty good Slim! Maybe Kingston in the mix? Anyway, would it not be like a liberation from the heavens if, say, for the June Tests, we aimed to pick a Wallaby team _strictly_ on recent, proven S15 form (from the the tougher matches, not the easybeat ones).

(And I have just seen a pink flying object outside my window.)

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Pyle (Jones?)
5. Carter
6. Higginbotham
7. Pocock
8. Mowen
9. Kingi (White?)
10. Lealiifaano
11. Shipperley
12. Tapuai (Carter?)
13. A Smith
14. Speight (Mafi?)
15. Mogg

I would love a possibles v probables game to be played

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think Shipperely and Kingston have to be in with a chance for the wing spots, given Mitchell and Turner out injured along with Morahan and Davies being in shithouse form, not to mention O'Connor likely to be moved to the midfield.

Plus they have been in great form. I suspect alot of younger players will come through the squad this year. Although older props like Holmes and Cowan have been playing well, in fact prop is the only position I think there has been consistent performers (add Slipper, Robinson, Kepu and possibly Alexander), that's a good frontrow base for the squad. Never thought I'd say that

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Palmer has been his usual immovable self at scrumtime, but like last year he just needs to get more involved...

Alexander is the complete opposite: running up the ball, hitting the rucks, making loads of tackles... but his side of the scrum always looks fragile...

Scott Sio looked pretty decent in his first appearance on the weekend, and I hope he gets some more opportunities later in the season...

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Pyle (Jones?)
5. Carter
6. Higginbotham
7. Pocock
8. Mowen
9. Kingi (White?)
10. Lealiifaano
11. Shipperley
12. Tapuai (Carter?)
13. A Smith
14. Speight (Mafi?)
15. Mogg

Actually fairly impartial of you Slim but i can't agree with 14 & 15 but will give you Mowen and Lilo.

Compare to incumbents/those most likely/Dingoes favourites & there is not much overlap.

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu/Slipper
4. Horwill
5. Pyle
6. Higgers
7. Pocock
8. Palu/McCalman
9. Genia
10. JOC (James O'Connor)/Barnes/QC (Quade Cooper)
11. Ioane
12. JOC (James O'Connor)/Barnes/McCabe
13. Horne
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Beale

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I'd love to see White put Mowen at 6 and give Vaea a proper run at 8. Wish Palmer would up his workrate as well.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I also think Higginbotham has been really good in an under performing team he's certainly been the most consistent forward at the Reds. Would love to see a backrow of Pocock, Palu & Higgers.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)

Dennis is too slow I think. You can only be that slow if you play a really heavy game and dennis doesn't. Fardy and Kimlin are not nearly as proven as higgers.

Higgers is also a rock at the lineouts, he is probably the reds best jumper.

If Palu is injured, I think Mowen absolutely deserves to be the 8 based on his form so far. If Palu is fit I would still start him - but mowen is pretty handy off the bench playing 6 or 8.

Outside centre is the hardest position for deans to select really. Rob Horne has been a bit of a myth so far this year - and he hardly shone in his few tests of the the wallabies in 2010 (although no 13 has for the wallabies since mortlock). I wouldn't move AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as I think he has been going well on the wing and I expect he and digby will be the wingers (Kingston and Shipperly both look very good but).

I think deans will go with either McCabe or Fainga'a. Which when you think about it is probably just what the backline needs to add some balance.

I also think that in time someone will just emerge as the answer at 13 - in the same way beale just emerged as our pre-eminent 15.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Bowside I agree with you on Horne. There's no way you could pick him at OC on form right now. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would be the more likely choice and most of you guys know I've always liked him there anyway.

I also agree that Higgers and Mowen are making good cases for themselves at 6 and 8. Dennis has been strong and I think will be in the mix, but I like Higgers more at present. Anyone know when Rocky is due back? With this not being a RWC year and with possibly an eye to the future, his test spot might be in jeopardy. He'll need some km's in those legs come test time to have any chance IMHO.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Horne is absolutely not international 13 quality this season.
I would have AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 over horne. horne looked pretty poor yesterday and continues to miss tackles like a 2011 rebel.

Horne has not merited his starting place on the Tahs this season. Apparently. he has the highest missed tackle count in the comp and he has been ineffective with ball in hand.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Dennis is too slow I think. You can only be that slow if you play a really heavy game and dennis doesn't...

Higgers is also a rock at the lineouts, he is probably the reds best jumper.
Que? Dennis is hardly slow. Higgers would beat him over 40, I grant you, but Dennis is well and truly sharp enough to be an international 6. He's also been arguably the Tahs' most reliable lineout receiver.

I think that we're lucky to have some depth at 6, although sadly none of the 6 candidates are quite up to scratch at 8 internationally. I'd put Higgers, Dennis, Mowen and Fardy all in the 40 man squad and see who trained best.

I'd back Dennis to step up. I still have nightmares about Higgers' seagulling and disinclination to participate in rucks. Mowen will likely find himself battling McCalman for the backup (ie permanent) 8 jersey. Fardy is likely to miss out - this time.

Only time (and Robbie) will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.